PDA

View Full Version : Which quality coilovers for '67 Mustang rear suspension?

Wesley J
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
Hey All,

After spending a LOT of time reading here as well over at corner-carvers I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to build my own 3 link. The Evolution system seems to be the best but they've been out of business for a while. So, I've got some good photos of the system so I'm going to use it as a template.

Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations on good coilovers. Also, what spring rate would you recommend for a car mostly used for the street?

Thanks in advance,

Wes

OT: WTF is with the flamefest over at corner-carvers!? Spell a word wrong and the rest of the thread is bitching about it! Worst online community I've ever seen.

Wesley J
02-13-2010, 09:02 PM
So, using the 4 link kits out there as a template I've found the following:

Max Length: ~16"
Compressed Length: ~11"
Ride Height: ~13.5" (makes sense as its in the middle of the 5" stroke)
Spring Rate: 175-200 lbs/in

QA1 seems to offer a reasonably priced item for about $230 each with springs.

Looking for other options.

Cheers,

Wes

LowBuckX
02-14-2010, 09:21 AM
cc.com is a harsh environment...Sorta like the 5.0 and Grand National crowd at the drags in the 80s and 90s.

The real racers wanted nothing to do with there attitudes and knew eventually they would go away which they did. Seems like they grew up and moved to CC.com...

As for "quality" coil overs you can pay $200 - $1000 eack.<<<<.(typo but fitting)

Search Penskie, blistein, varishock (a prefered brand here) Integra, Proshock, affco.

But VariShocks and QA1 will be mentioned here 99% of the time..

Wesley J
02-14-2010, 03:41 PM
Thanks. I shouldnt have a problem finding QA1's here in Canada but I'll look for the Varishocks too.

Cheers,

Wes

ProdigyCustoms
02-14-2010, 04:27 PM
Speedtech is a good source in Canada for QA1. We do QA1 also, but if your in Canada your better off buying from them. On the Vari Shock we have those also.

wicked68
02-14-2010, 04:51 PM
did you look at dropping in a completely new rear end - like an air ride or chasis works watts link?

Wesley J
02-14-2010, 05:10 PM
did you look at dropping in a completely new rear end - like an air ride or chasis works watts link?

Ya but price is a big issue for me. The cost of the current aftermarket systems are pretty high (especially here in Canada) and I havent read a lot of really good stuff about them other than ease of installation. Also, this is a daily driver that will be driven in winter conditions so I don't want an air system.

To be honest, I'm an Engineer and I have a decent understanding of suspension geometry. More importantly, I have a well equiped shop with a lathe, mill, tig etc and I really love building stuff.

I've constructed a chassis and rear suspension from scratch and enjoy it and find it quite straight forward.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley J
02-14-2010, 05:14 PM
Speedtech is a good source in Canada for QA1. We do QA1 also, but if your in Canada your better off buying from them. On the Vari Shock we have those also.

Fantastic, thanks! If they have "Canadian" pricing then I may give you a call. With our dollar essentially at par it can be hard to buy local. Heck, I buy all of my tires from Tirerack as they're at least 20% less than here even with shipping, exchange and installation. My studded winter tires for my Magnum were $700 delivered to my door from Tirerack. $1800 here in town.........

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley J
02-14-2010, 05:17 PM
Crap, seems to be a lot of speedtech's in Canada. Which one are you refering to?

Wesley J
02-14-2010, 06:48 PM
For the fellow Canucks: http://speedtech-performance.com/

Wes

wicked68
02-15-2010, 02:44 AM
Ya but price is a big issue for me. The cost of the current aftermarket systems are pretty high (especially here in Canada) and I havent read a lot of really good stuff about them other than ease of installation. Also, this is a daily driver that will be driven in winter conditions so I don't want an air system.

To be honest, I'm an Engineer and I have a decent understanding of suspension geometry. More importantly, I have a well equiped shop with a lathe, mill, tig etc and I really love building stuff.

I've constructed a chassis and rear suspension from scratch and enjoy it and find it quite straight forward.

Cheers,

Wes

then copy the chasis works watts link. you will like it.

Bryce
02-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Cool, I will like to see what you come up with. I am also an engineer and will be building a 3-link for my falcon. I designed my front suspension and used AFCO coilovers in the front. So I will be using AFCOs in the back too. The T2s are 300 each right now and they are double adjustable. Springs are 60 each.

Bryce
02-15-2010, 07:31 AM
I am planning on a 200lbs/in springs in the back. Whats your weight on the rear tires? Im at 1250lbs.

Wesley J
02-15-2010, 07:40 AM
Cool, I will like to see what you come up with. I am also an engineer and will be building a 3-link for my falcon. I designed my front suspension and used AFCO coilovers in the front. So I will be using AFCOs in the back too. The T2s are 300 each right now and they are double adjustable. Springs are 60 each.

Hi,

Nice work on the front end, looks good.

Where do you get your AFCOs?

Havent weighed my car yet. So do you have about 1550 up front?

Wes

Wesley J
02-15-2010, 07:45 AM
then copy the chasis works watts link. you will like it.

Ya, I've been back and forth a lot on this. From what I've read, and the math supports it, a well designed panhard will perform 95% as well as Watts link. So, my current plans are to go with a panhard.

Wes

Bryce
02-15-2010, 08:09 AM
Hi,

Nice work on the front end, looks good.

Where do you get your AFCOs?

Havent weighed my car yet. So do you have about 1550 up front?

Wes

I am at just under 1450lbs at the front.

I got my coilvers from autofab but my most recent set I got for my 65 mustang drag car were ordered directly from AFCO.

Bryce
02-15-2010, 08:11 AM
i am going with a panhard for the same reasoning. But my system will be modular so i can make future mods and switch to a watts if needed.

Wesley J
02-15-2010, 08:26 AM
Mine will be modular too, the only tool I'll need to do the swap is my plasma cutter ;-)

Thanks for the info!

Wes

jfoster
02-15-2010, 06:03 PM
How about the torque arm / watts setup from griggs racing?

http://picasaweb.google.com/griggsracing/SVPUnlimitedT67#5402743275871578258

jfoster
02-15-2010, 06:07 PM
PS - I thought viper alley was the more horrible community ever.... until I visited CC, lol.

Wesley J
02-15-2010, 06:28 PM
How about the torque arm / watts setup from griggs racing?

http://picasaweb.google.com/griggsracing/SVPUnlimitedT67#5402743275871578258

Nice kit, too expensive. It'd be north of $4k for me here. Shocks plus all the bits (rod ends etc) is costing me about $900.

Wes

Wesley J
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
A big thanks to Frank at Prodigy for pointing me in the direction Speed Tech. Frank has been great to deal with and his prices are great.

Most of my parts are on the way so I'll be starting my build thread soon!

Wes

Bryce
02-19-2010, 06:14 AM
cool