PDA

View Full Version : help....problem with control arm bushings on first gen camaro

SR71
02-09-2010, 11:08 AM
I have a nice new set of first gen tube control arms that have never been used. the bushings are rubber top and bottom. the problem is that one of the concave serrated washers that go under the large washer on the top outside of the upper arm is missing. and of course, you can't buy these washers seperately. you have to buy a shaft kit to get them.

my question is....what purpose do said washers serve??? I have been told that they are only there to slow down suspension action for a smoother ride and for performance purposes not to use the washers.

any help is appreciated.

LowBuckX
02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Im sure what ever company made those arms will help a customer out...

SR71
02-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Im sure what ever company made those arms will help a customer out...

their tech is the one who said the he thought it would be best to throw the washers away.

David Pozzi
02-10-2010, 08:40 PM
Adding friction to A arm bushings isn't going to smooth out the ride.
If they say you can go without them then do that, it doesn't look like you have any other option anyway.

SR71
02-10-2010, 09:16 PM
Adding friction to A arm bushings isn't going to smooth out the ride.
If they say you can go without them then do that, it doesn't look like you have any other option anyway.

thanks for the insight, David. I think I might as well just bite the bullet and go with poly or delrin. I can buy polys for what the shaft kit would cost. or, I may go with a good sport spring in the front and delrin bushings as option #2.

monteboy84
02-11-2010, 05:37 AM
I'd go with the delrin bushings over poly any day, poly's add too much unknown spring rate to your front suspension.

SR71
02-11-2010, 07:07 AM
are delrin and del-a-lum bushings the same thing?

LowBuckX
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
Del-a-lum is a delrin bushing with aluminum shell.

David Pozzi
02-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Del-A-Lum was originated by Global West Suspension, they named it and did a LOT of research and development on their bushings, including use on taxicabs! Other companies use similar construction, but maybe not identical. Delrin is a brand name, like Kleenex is for facial tissues. The material used is Acetal. There are a couple of types of Acetal, one is more pure Acetal, the other is reinforced Acetal with Fiberglass strands. The Fiberglass reinforced Acetal is stronger, (but makes you itch when you machine it). You won't find Acetal mentioned in the bushing ads though, they usually just mention Delrin.

Polyurethane is sticky, tends to deform under high pressure. It will add at least 30 lbs to your spring rates when used in a arm bushings. It's not bad on sway bar mounts and end links if it isn't clamped too hard and is lubed with silicone grease.
David

SR71
02-13-2010, 06:59 PM
thanks for the info, guys. delrin it is. I can now see how they should allow the springs and shocks to do their jobs better than poly would allow.

LowBuckX
02-14-2010, 09:14 AM
Del-A-Lum was originated by Global West Suspension, they named it and did a LOT of research and development on their bushings, including use on taxicabs! Other companies use similar construction, but maybe not identical. Delrin is a brand name, like Kleenex is for facial tissues. The material used is Acetal. There are a couple of types of Acetal, one is more pure Acetal, the other is reinforced Acetal with Fiberglass strands. The Fiberglass reinforced Acetal is stronger, (but makes you itch when you machine it). You won't find Acetal mentioned in the bushing ads though, they usually just mention Delrin.

Polyurethane is sticky, tends to deform under high pressure. It will add at least 30 lbs to your spring rates when used in a arm bushings. It's not bad on sway bar mounts and end links if it isn't clamped too hard and is lubed with silicone grease.
David
Didnt know anyone one was knocking them off. I just figured Del-a-lum construction = Global west only...