PDA

View Full Version : MSD box selection & dist ?

Takid455
02-04-2010, 07:53 PM
Currently run a stock HEI unit and due to clearance issues, I may need to switch to a points style dist (not points, just a smaller dia dist). It seems you get rid of the module and use the leads from the pickup then over to the box to the coil and then out to the plugs.

If I get a box, I would like to program my timing curve if possible. also, how do these boxes work w/ vac advance for street driving? I am looking at digital 6, 6al 2 and 7 although 7 is a tad pricey.

My second question is regarding aftermarket ECM's such as Bigstuff 3, fast xfi and megasquirt. do these require a box or do they have their own self contained unit? Hate to buy a setup and not be able to use it in the future when those plans evolve.

pontiac engine, but that should be irreverent to the question.

CarPlayLB
02-05-2010, 08:18 PM
I have no idea...but thank you for posting. Everytime I saw the post below yours "What plugs for a blown..." I cringed. Seems like if you have the skills to run a blown motor, you should kinda have the whole spark plug thing figured out! JMO

MrForce
02-06-2010, 08:04 AM
If you are going to use a standalone EFI controller, buy the simplest ignition box you can find. MSD 6A or equivalent. The ecu will do the rest. Do not buy a distributor that has vacuum advance, the ecu will handle that as well.

Rob

Takid455
02-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Rob.
thats what I am looking for. thanks.

rrstroker71
02-28-2010, 03:31 PM
If you are going to use a standalone EFI controller, buy the simplest ignition box you can find. MSD 6A or equivalent. The ecu will do the rest. Do not buy a distributor that has vacuum advance, the ecu will handle that as well.

Rob
Yes sir, he is right. Keep it simple!

FireBird455
05-29-2010, 04:01 PM
im running an msd billet and a n msd 6AL with a blaster 2 coil on my 462 poncho. throw the points away esp dual points ewwww
so old school. no offence just hate points, good luck bro

NOT A TA
05-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I just ordered the new MSD 6AL2 programable. It eliminates the internal spring/weight adjustments and can set it up with a laptop to change the curve. http://www.msdignition.com/Products/Ignitions/6530_-_MSD_Digital_Programmable_6AL-2.aspx

Been running a 6A with Pro Billet and Blaster coil in my Firebird with no problems.

Procharmo
06-01-2010, 02:20 PM
I have no idea...but thank you for posting. Everytime I saw the post below yours "What plugs for a blown..." I cringed. Seems like if you have the skills to run a blown motor, you should kinda have the whole spark plug thing figured out! JMO

I don't think it works like that.

I have no idea about cars or how they work yet am attempting to build a twin blown stroked 2000hp monster.

Someone else may have a 600cc Smart car and know everything there is to know about the combustion engine...

H2Ogbodies
06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
I have no idea about cars or how they work yet am attempting to build a twin blown stroked 2000hp monster.

Okay, I may have to call BS on this one....that's like saying I can fly a kite-so I can fly a Stealth Fighter. You have to have some experience on multiple levels before just jumping in with both feet on something like that. The learning curve is without a doubt steep if this is your first engine build ever. Good luck tho!