PDA

View Full Version : Dash & kick panel speakers

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-28-2010, 06:36 AM
This may be a dumb question but here goes ...

I'm thinking of stealing an idea that JamesJ used to mount the speakers in his car. He has a 1st Gen Camaro and mounted two 5" speakers in the stock under dash location then mounted speakers in the kick panel location also. I also assume he had rear speakers.

My question concerns driving the front speakers. What is the best way to drive speakers in this configuration?? Do you drive the dash speakers off the primary head unit amp then use a 4 channel amp to drive the kick panel and rear speakers ?? I wouldn't think you could drive both fronts off the main head unit amp.

BTW - My car is a convert, if you couldn't tell from my screen name, so I want to try and have enough sound to be able to listen to the radio while driving. Which is why I want two sets of speakers up front.

CarPlayLB
01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
That would be a great way to do it!
....but you may need to adjust the "gains" on the amp. I don't think you are going to want the smaller speakers overpowering the rest of the system. You really cannot get much speaker in the dash! I am planning on putting some nice speakers in the dash to compliment the 6.5's I have in the kick panels. I am going to rum these of a seperate amp so I can turn the gains enough to use these speakers as fill.
...another but ....stereo imaging will be gone once you do this! That may not matter in a convert though!

67 455 Bird ragtop
01-29-2010, 05:33 AM
Imaging isn't much of a concern in a convert. As for the smaller speakers overpowering teh others good call. I may end up just running one amp for the dash and one for the rest.

73X
03-23-2010, 06:54 AM
I have a possible solution for you on this. You can run all 6 speakers off one 4 channel amp if you run the dash and kick panels together off the front two channels in parallel and the rear deck speakers off the rear two channels. As long as you have an amp with separate gain controls front and rear it can be done this way. You will just have to turn the gain down on the front channels to even out the volume front to rear

67 455 Bird ragtop
03-25-2010, 01:49 PM
I have a possible solution for you on this. You can run all 6 speakers off one 4 channel amp if you run the dash and kick panels together off the front two channels in parallel and the rear deck speakers off the rear two channels. As long as you have an amp with separate gain controls front and rear it can be done this way. You will just have to turn the gain down on the front channels to even out the volume front to rear

Interesting thought. I know running two sets of speakers from the same channel can cause some ohm issues. What are the rules when you do that???