PDA

View Full Version : plymouth suspension / steering questions

chaosripper
01-18-2010, 12:40 AM
wondering what the options were for lowering my car. its a 68 satellite sport, with leaf springs / torsion bars.

i know i could easily install lowering blocks but... wondering what alternatives there are. ive seen a few but feel like i cant find much.

was thinking about the option of coilovers because i like the fact that they are easily adjustable for height.

as far as manual steering, where is a good place to get a lower ratio rebuild kit?

all links are appreciated!

Motorcitydak
01-18-2010, 02:46 AM
You can lower the front end down by adjusting the torsion bars. Fatman Fab also makes 2 inch drop spindles, but I am not posative they would fit your car.

The rear like you said can be done with blocks of leaf springs. Check out Hotchkis.net for some good parts for your car. There are other places that make rear springs for these cars that I cannot think of rite now. Just search a little around google, you will find all you need.

http://firmfeel.com/ They can rebuilt your box or give you one, check out that site for a while too. Lots of good stuff on there

I hope you are aware that if you want to use coilovers (I am assuming that they would be for the back) you will have to build a link suspension to locate the axle. Check out XV Motorsports for a lot of good pieces too. Depending on your budget, that may be the way to go. The offer kits for the front and rear suspension

rrunner68
01-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Also, if you don't feel like dropping a million dollars on your suspension with XV, RMS makes a Street Lynx kit for the rear, very reasonably priced at around 2500.00. Their full front kit can be had for 3500-4500 depending on options as well.

High Plains Mopars
01-18-2010, 07:09 AM
What is the budget, intended usage, and expectations for performance and adjustability?

If you want to keep the stock layout, you can adjust the front lower by turning down the torsion bar adjusters and the rear can be lowered by using zero arch springs and adjustable spring mount hangers. This set up can still handle very well and do so for reasonable cost. However, the biggest limitation of the stock style layout is the available torsion bar rates. There just aren't a lot of choices available and highest wheel rate you can ever achieve is 400#

If you have a decent sized budget, want to drop weight and need to have have a large choice of springs rates and the ability to infinitely adjust corner weights, then a conversion to coil overs may be the better route.