PDA

View Full Version : Cost effective rear suspension 67 camaro

BWV
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
I have finished my DSE rear mini tubs , but I am wondering what the best rear suspension set would be for a street car. I would like a good 3 inches lower . Dont know if the DSE leaf kit would be OK . Im just looking for the least expensive way to get a lower stance. I know the G-bar is probably the best setup, but money is always a factor.

Lowend
01-10-2010, 10:17 PM
for functionality, it's really hard to beat well-done leafsprings on these cars.
I really like the Global West Cat V setup. The spring have an extra leaf up front, to help control wrap-up. A solid bushing out back with a spherical bearing in the front eye. As an off the shelf setup, I don't think there is anything better out there

Hotchkis
01-12-2010, 11:29 AM
BWV -

Leafsprings are going to be the best option for the stance you want. Check out the Hotchkis 3" Leafs (http://www.hotchkis.net/6769_camaro_firebird_sport_leaf_springs_3_drop.htm l). They'll give you the look you want along with improved handling and ride quality.

You can use them as part of our 3" drop TVS (http://www.hotchkis.net/6769_camarofirebird_tvs_system_small_block.html), or on their own.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

ProdigyCustoms
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I find the Cat 5s very harsh. We sell and install Hotchkis because we like the product better and find the ride much better.

Some say Cat 5s are the best for all out hadling, But Mary does pretty damn good on Hotchkis.

If you need Hotchkis we have a nice sale.

dipren443
01-12-2010, 12:09 PM
I find the Cat 5s very harsh. We sell and install Hotchkis because we like the product better and find the ride much better.

Some say Cat 5s are the best for all out hadling, But Mary does pretty damn good on Hotchkis.

If you need Hotchkis we have a nice sale.

Did Mary switch to Hotchkis leafs? She was definitely running CAT V leafs prior...

BonzoHansen
01-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Frank, how do you like the hotchkis springs in regards wheel hop issues and non-staggered shocks? Overall I’ve been happy with the hotchkis springs in my 77 (other than they sit too low), but my 67 has the different shock setup and will have markedly more HP, probably ~450-500 at the crank if I play my cards right. Those other cool rear setups are out of my budget, at least for now.

IIRC Mary went from hotchkis to cat 5. if she went back I missed that tidbit. Dave mentioned teeth rattling to me on those, she called him something akin to a sissy. :P

Rick Dorion
01-12-2010, 02:01 PM
I too am interested in the Hotchkis 3" as far as wheel hop. On my 69, with Bilsteins and the 1 1/2" drop leafs I'd get some mild hop on good traction.

ProdigyCustoms
01-12-2010, 02:50 PM
I have not installed the Hotchkis 3" drop springs yet. I have installed other 3" drop springs and I can tell you that historically 3" springs have been more susceptible to wheel hop because they are almost flat when installed

Lowend
01-12-2010, 08:36 PM
Mary runs Cat V springs. I remember when she installed them.
Are they a more harsh than stock... yep solid bushings will do that.
The Hotchkis springs are fine pieces. But if you want all-out handling than you can't beat a spherical bearing in front

Dream68
01-12-2010, 08:58 PM
I have the DSE 3'' drop leafs, they do seem to improve the wheel hop. I believe they are loaded more in the rear for less wrap.