PDA

View Full Version : Need help-Spring not seating

DFRESH
01-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Coil over spring goes in fine on LF side and butts up against the indent in the upper spring pocket nicely. The RF, that's another story---obviously I don't want to grind the spring down---I noticed when I took it out that it was really jammed in there, but wasn't sitting where it should have been---looks like it must have rotated and then popped into place---had to use some serious force to pull it out. I've tired jacking it up and putting pressure on it--haven't put the car on the ground yet---these are QA1 springs--not that it makes a diff---

Any of you guys run into this before? Not sure how I would clearance the upper spring mount on the frame---some long extention with a sanding roll on my die grinder is the only idea I have at the moment---any suggestions besides the purchase of a new DSE sub (Todd) appreciated. Can't wait to take it all back apart.

Doug

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/progress-1.gif

Frank the Crank
01-04-2010, 10:05 PM
I had the same thing happen once. I installed lowering springs which were a larger wire diameter then the stockers, but I thought there was enough wiggle room up in the spring pocket, but apparently not. I left the shock off on that side, squirted WD-40 up in the pocket and on the spring tang, then with a buddy started bouncing the car up and down. Of course the engine was still in the car so we had some weight for momentum, but after a few really good bounces that spring seated up in the pocket. Kind of "redneck tech" but it might be worth a shot.

DFRESH
01-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I had the same thing happen once. I installed lowering springs which were a larger wire diameter then the stockers, but I thought there was enough wiggle room up in the spring pocket, but apparently not. I left the shock off on that side, squirted WD-40 up in the pocket and on the spring tang, then with a buddy started bouncing the car up and down. Of course the engine was still in the car so we had some weight for momentum, but after a few really good bounces that spring seated up in the pocket. Kind of "redneck tech" but it might be worth a shot.

Ok--thanks--will try if this is all I got--glad it worked for you--gives me some hope

Doug