PDA

View Full Version : Slide-a-link front bushing

davepl
12-29-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm installing a set of Comp Eng Slide-a-Link bars on my '69 Camaro (also installing a 9-inch at the same time, so it seemed like a good time to do it).

The instructions say to press out the front rubber stock bushing and press in the aluminum one provided. I pressed out the rubber bushing, but there is still a sleeve (sleave?) in there that I'm not sure if I'm supposed to also remove first. Is that metal sleeve part of the spring into which the new aluminum bushing gets pressed into, or does that come out so that the new aluminum bushing is actually in direct contact with the part of the spring that wraps around and forms the hole?

If the latter, any ideas on how to remove the sleeve? I have a press, but getting something the side of the sleeve yet smaller than the hole might be tough... its only maybe 1/64" of an inch thick.
Thanks!
Dave

6'9"Witha69
12-29-2009, 02:35 PM
If the hole in the sleeve is too small to allow the new Aluminum bushing to be pressed in, then it has to come out.

MonzaRacer
12-31-2009, 01:03 AM
simply use a hand saw with fine tooth hacksaw blade and split the sleeve if it has to come out, or have someone use an air hammer to chisel it out.