PDA

View Full Version : 67-69 Firebird/Camaro

cdhc10
12-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Has anybody used the shell of a firebird to build them a camaro? Im relatively new to the camaros and was wondering if everything was exact other than looks?

av8or32
12-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I have a 69 Firebird and there are a whole lot of differences. Back in the 60's the divisions of GM were competing with each other so even though the body style is similar, Pontiac wanted to separate itself from Chevy so they had their own motors, rear ends, steering, ignition switches, interior designs and so forth. I've found alot of this stuff out the hard way. If you want a Camaro then do youself a big favor and start with one. I'd love to see another Firebird on the road though and you'll stand out. I recently went to a pretty big car show in Ft Worth and I saw about 1 bird for every 50 or so Camaros. I actually didn't see a single 69 Firebird at all. I do love the Camaro and we could never have too many.

Smock67
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM
Dude if you start with a Firebird keep it a Firebird. No sense in changing your car that much. If you want a camaro start with one would definitely be much cheaper in the end.

mroth
12-28-2009, 10:51 AM
I had a 67 Camaro and had a 67 Firebird. The shell is similar. The rear is different but I believe that you could put a rear body panel and it would weld up OK. The partial quarters should fit in place also. I had an extra door from the bird and put it on the Camaro and the lines seemed to match up pretty well although I had it reskinned. The Firebird rearend had a traction bar on the passenger side welded on to it. you would have to do something to the body to make that setup fit. I believe the front subframe would work but you would need different motor mounts because the pontiac motors set back towards the firewall more. SO if the body already needs rear quarters then you might need to replace only the taillight panel to make it the same.

Mike

cdhc10
12-28-2009, 02:27 PM
thanks for the input guys. on another note i have found a good deal on a 67 camaro shell but i like the looks of the 69. What are the differences between the two years shells? What would it take to get the look of a 69 out of a 67 shell?

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Dude.. change a 67 firebird to a 69 camaro!!... do it!!

Tom Welch
12-28-2009, 07:10 PM
My question is, why?

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-28-2009, 10:00 PM
Dude WHYNOT?!?!... man.. a 69 camaro out of a 67 FIREBIRDS?!?!

hurry up man!!!..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/12/300e9ef-1.gif

cdhc10
12-29-2009, 06:05 AM
i no longer will atempt the firebird idea, but what about the 67 camaro shell? what needs to be changed to have the appearance of a 69?

Steve N 69 69 69
12-29-2009, 06:45 AM
everything but the roof, hood, and trunk lid.

Mr. Vengeance, dude, that napoleon dynamite dude, ruffin' up the suspect gif, is just WRONG! ( plus your scary face picture disturbs me for some reason)

sporter
12-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Has anybody used the shell of a firebird to build them a camaro? Im relatively new to the camaros and was wondering if everything was exact other than looks?

SACRILEGE! Actually, I've been known to install Pontiac 455's in Z-28s but I would never start out a project trying to convert one into the other. Lots of differences and the car will have less value to both camps. It can be done as I've seen at least one local Firebird with a complete Camaro front end on it. Just looks goofy to me. Pick one brand and go for it, can't go wrong either way.

TonyHuntimer
12-29-2009, 08:28 AM
i no longer will atempt the firebird idea, but what about the 67 camaro shell? what needs to be changed to have the appearance of a 69?

To switch a 67 to a 69 is much harder than a 68 to a 69. The 67 door hinges and locations are different, so you'd have to change the door hinge anchors on the body. Of course there's also the need to change all the front sheetmetal, rear quarters, tail panel, and doors.

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-29-2009, 08:43 AM
Mr. Vengeance, dude, that napoleon dynamite dude, ruffin' up the suspect gif, is just WRONG! ( plus your scary face picture disturbs me for some reason)

yYEAAAAHHH!!! BEAT IT UUUPP!!!

and did you know that picture is really me.. no wonder i scare my wife.

cdhc10
12-29-2009, 09:18 AM
has anybody on the board attemted this change? either one 67 to 69 or 68 to 69??

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-29-2009, 09:31 AM
yes.. you have.

or thats at least Marty McFly told me last week.

cdhc10
12-29-2009, 10:37 AM
i am asking a serious question, if its not feasable or a stupid idea just tell me i can take it.

ZZ427
12-29-2009, 10:56 AM
IMO , keep the 67 a 67 , if you want a 69 , find one . . . it'll save you more $ and a lot less headache, Good luck on whatever you want to build .

ProdigyCustoms
12-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Tony is correct, the hinge pillar on the 69 creates a big issue. Other then that, it can be done with outer body sheetmetal.

cdhc10
12-29-2009, 11:24 AM
at this point all that i would have is the 67 shell. If i wanted to do this i would need to change the rear quarters and the door hinges and it would basically be a 69 shell. Am i understanding this correct?

cdhc10
12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
or change the location of the door hinges to match that of a 69 door

Tom Welch
12-29-2009, 11:54 AM
like an earlier post stated, the roof and the trunk lid and the hood stay, thats about it. The door hinges are different as well as the location and the structure that they attach to, quit while you're behind.

ProdigyCustoms
12-29-2009, 12:04 PM
the inner quarter panels are different also. You will need stuff you cannot buy new like those inner quarters and door hinge post. it would be a huge job, I would sell off the 67 and use that money towards a 69.

Of coarse a 67 Firebird shell only in need of a lot of restoration has very little value.

What are you going to do about a VIN? if the answer is use the Firebird VIN, it could be the worst investment ever!

cdhc10
12-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Prodigy,

my original idea was to use a firebird shell, i have since found a good deal on a 67 camaro shell but like the looks of the 69 camaro better. (wheel wells and body lines). If the rear quarters need to be replaced any ways, why not change them to the 69 version. Is there a company that repops the rear inners for a 69?

I may be wrong but i believe in texas you can get a new vin# relatively easy.

Steve68
12-29-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd build a Firebird! be different,

justasquid
12-31-2009, 12:33 PM
just my opinion, it will cost more money to convert your 67 into a 69 than just finding a decent 69 shell to begin with. then you will still have a converted car that is worth less than the 67 if you kept it a 67.

I too like the looks of the 69's, but the 67/68 RS camaro's are my favorite camaro ever. You said your relatively new to this, so if you haven't yet, check out some 67 RS camaro's. Converting a plain 67 to an RS is a much smaller undertaking than converting it to a 69, and they look great.

67 ls1 vert
12-31-2009, 02:36 PM
agreed
just my opinion, it will cost more money to convert your 67 into a 69 than just finding a decent 69 shell to begin with. then you will still have a converted car that is worth less than the 67 if you kept it a 67.

I too like the looks of the 69's, but the 67/68 RS camaro's are my favorite camaro ever. You said your relatively new to this, so if you haven't yet, check out some 67 RS camaro's. Converting a plain 67 to an RS is a much smaller undertaking than converting it to a 69, and they look great.

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
I too like the looks of the 69's, but the 67/68 RS camaro's are my favorite camaro ever.

co-muthafuchkin-signed

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

BonzoHansen
12-31-2009, 06:53 PM
If you want a 69 buy a 69. They are not hard to find. You'll be way ahead of the game

T_Raven
01-01-2010, 02:57 AM
Hey another one of these threads.

T_Raven
01-01-2010, 06:52 AM
Look at this lovely piece I just saw on ebay. 68 Firebird with 69 doors and front sheet metal
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130355430312&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME%3AB%3ASS%3AUS%3A1123

Chicken Louie
01-01-2010, 08:17 AM
Not to sure about the 10 foot paint and the shaker hood LOL!!

I guess anything is possible but you have to ask the question why??

Mr.VENGEANCE
01-01-2010, 09:45 AM
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Munster
01-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Do what you want as you want. Yes, all can be accomplished, but the 67 to 69 would be a lot harder to do. I did the 69 Firebird into a 69 Camaro, why?, because I have always wanted a 69 Camaro and when I bought my Firebird and found it needed more work than just paint I started looking a buying parts and, yes, it was cheaper with all I had to be doing to buy the camaro parts and I would get the car I really wanted, and also not feel bad about doing the other mods I wanted. If I hadn't needed to have all the sheet metal work done that it needed I would be the happy owner of a nice 69 Firebird, but it did and now I will have a nice modified 69 Camaro, done with the parts/style of all 3 years (67, 68, 69) that I like. Would I do it again, no. I would look to find a good camaro base and go from there. But I was out to buy a good driver in need of a little TLC. and unfortunately got way more work than I wanted, but by a round about way got what I wanted. Yes the title says firebird, but thats just a peice of paper in my safe, and with the mods to the car, even if it was a camaro, the people would say "O'h whyd' ya do that" .... my response.... be cause I wanted it done that way and its mine.
I paid a lot for the Firebird thinking I would just be able to drive it, but am to picky and wanted better. I could of found a camaro body for less than my bird, but I bought it in an online auction and had it looked at but didn't see it in person. Mistake!
If you do your own work, go for it, if you don't, keep lookin for what you want.
My car is way more than, " with just front sheet metal on it"

elitecustombody
01-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Do what you want as you want. Yes, all can be accomplished, but the 67 to 69 would be a lot harder to do. I did the 69 Firebird into a 69 Camaro, why?, because I have always wanted a 69 Camaro and when I bought my Firebird and found it needed more work than just paint I started looking a buying parts and, yes, it was cheaper with all I had to be doing to buy the camaro parts and I would get the car I really wanted, and also not feel bad about doing the other mods I wanted. If I hadn't needed to have all the sheet metal work done that it needed I would be the happy owner of a nice 69 Firebird, but it did and now I will have a nice modified 69 Camaro, done with the parts/style of all 3 years (67, 68, 69) that I like. Would I do it again, no. I would look to find a good camaro base and go from there. But I was out to buy a good driver in need of a little TLC. and unfortunately got way more work than I wanted, but by a round about way got what I wanted. Yes the title says firebird, but thats just a peice of paper in my safe, and with the mods to the car, even if it was a camaro, the people would say "O'h whyd' ya do that" .... my response.... be cause I wanted it done that way and its mine.
I paid a lot for the Firebird thinking I would just be able to drive it, but am to picky and wanted better. I could of found a camaro body for less than my bird, but I bought it in an online auction and had it looked at but didn't see it in person. Mistake!
If you do your own work, go for it, if you don't, keep lookin for what you want.
My car is way more than, " with just front sheet metal on it"

what must be changed on 69 bird to make it. Look like 69 Camaro? I mean only on the front.

Jeffrotech
01-20-2010, 08:59 AM
If you get a Firebird, build it as a Firebird.

*******ized cars are just silly.