PDA

View Full Version : Updates on the trans am

redsand
04-15-2005, 05:27 AM
Well, I have gone mad... I have decided to make the 80 trans am a fixed roadster. I just figured by the time I have stitched a new top and got it all set, it would be a hell of a lot of money for something I was never going to have up. (Of course there is the small detail of getting cought in the rain)

Let me know what you guys think.

boodlefoof
04-15-2005, 05:34 AM
WOW! That is quite nice looking metal fab you've done there. From what I can imagine, I think it is going to look killer!

F70t/a
04-15-2005, 07:56 AM
That metal work is just great!!!! What gauge did you use?

OLDFLM
04-15-2005, 08:07 AM
I know it's an 80... but a twin scoop Formula type hood to mimic the speedsteer humps you've put behind the seats would look killer!!!!

Steve1968LS2
04-15-2005, 08:08 AM
Caught in the rain = drive really fast ;)

Here is an idea for you.. something i have seen used.

Cut a plastic tarp or waterproof fabric to the right shape to cover your interior (you can even have zippers so it can be on and still driven or the back can just be on).. roll the edges and sew in strong strip magnets.

This avoids having to put snaps aroud the car. You just have to have a metal body for this and not too much filler. you could put soft material on the areas where the tarp touches the car..

Just an idea..

Oh, nice body work!! :)

CoryM
04-15-2005, 11:13 AM
Looks good man. The only thing I want to mention is that those cars flex a LOT in that rear bulkhead so you may want to be fairly conservative with the body filler. It looks like you know more about metal than I do so I hate to sound like I am a know it all. Keep us posted as you go through the car.
[edit] Good idea steve, be a good way to wash your roadster as well. Hopefully some year I will have a roadster to need the tip.
Cheers.

Ralph LoGrasso
04-15-2005, 12:19 PM
Wow, looks awesome!! Beautiful metal work.

redsand
04-15-2005, 02:00 PM
Hey, just wanted to say, it is not me that is doing the metal work. I can do interior and electrical but keep me away from a welder!!!

There is a new company locally called metal man fabrications. They are also a factory five distributor I think. He is currently building a cobra and a 67 mustang with 335's in the rear. Unbelievable work, and very inexpensive. If anyone needs their contact info, let me know.

Thanks for the remarks!!! I appreciate all of the comments and advice. Hopefully it will be done by the end of summer.