PDA

View Full Version : shock options overload

12-14-2009, 04:39 PM
I have been reviewing some threads on shocks and must say there are a lot of options out there. So I will ask a quick question to see what I get. I have some summit bucks I want to spend and was looking at the shocks they carry. My car is a chevelle and I am a novice driver. My choices are the QA1 stocker star shocks (single adjustable) or the Hotchkis Bilstean shocks. Spring rates are on the medium side 600-650 fronts and 150-175 rears is what I am leaning towards.

Which shocks are better for me? Or should I buy something better and get something else with my summit bucks? Thanks

oestek
12-14-2009, 05:37 PM
What do you plan to do with the car? Is the rest of the suspension upgraded, or do you plan to make upgrades?

12-14-2009, 06:28 PM
I would like to autocross and road race but honestly those will probably be few and far apart. For the most part I want the car to drive and perform as well as possible for a "street car". The parts I have already are the ATS spindle and a-arm package from SCandC, currie rear control upper and lower arms and kore3 C-5 brakes. I don't have the sway bars yet but I plan to run the spohn pro-touring sway bars or something similar like DSE. I posted a few days ago with sway bar questions and got the answers I needed.

I did a search on shocks and now I realize I know less about shocks than I thought. Some have stated good shocks can run 800 plus each. Well my driving skills and needs aren't quite to that level yet. I want a shock that is reasonable in cost and will work well with my package. I stated the 2 shocks above because of the summit bucks and that seemed to be the best they offered for my application. I don't have springs yet which I am open to as well but I had planned to run around 600-650 front and 150-175 rear. Sorry if I rambled, just looking for some pointers in the right direction. As a side note I will drag race it but I have no problem swapping springs and shocks when I do the 1/4.

Hotchkis
12-15-2009, 02:23 PM
I have been reviewing some threads on shocks and must say there are a lot of options out there. So I will ask a quick question to see what I get. I have some summit bucks I want to spend and was looking at the shocks they carry. My car is a chevelle and I am a novice driver. My choices are the QA1 stocker star shocks (single adjustable) or the Hotchkis Bilstean shocks. Spring rates are on the medium side 600-650 fronts and 150-175 rears is what I am leaning towards.

Which shocks are better for me? Or should I buy something better and get something else with my summit bucks? Thanks

Considering your application is a street car that will see occasional track days, you can't go wrong with the HPS1000 (http://www.hotchkis.net/front_hps_1000_shock_gm_abfx_body.html). The nice thing about our HPS Bilstein shocks is that they are specifically valved for your car, engineered/manufactured in Germany by the same company in the same factory that makes shocks for European racecars, and are extremely high quality. Some of the other stuff out there is made in China. Also our shocks are valved for a balance of extremely capable performance and a sporty yet comfortable ride.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

exwestracer
12-15-2009, 05:18 PM
Considering your application is a street car that will see occasional track days, you can't go wrong with the HPS1000 (http://www.hotchkis.net/front_hps_1000_shock_gm_abfx_body.html). The nice thing about our HPS Bilstein shocks is that they are specifically valved for your car, engineered/manufactured in Germany by the same company in the same factory that makes shocks for European racecars, and are extremely high quality. Some of the other stuff out there is made in China. Also our shocks are valved for a balance of extremely capable performance and a sporty yet comfortable ride.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

Just curious where I might find a comprehensive list of shock lengths and mounting types. I like the Bilsteins, but I'm not sure they have anything correct for my application. The car is set up for 6" rod end coilovers, and I want to change to bushings without cutting up the mounts.

79T/Aman
12-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Just curious where I might find a comprehensive list of shock lengths and mounting types. I like the Bilsteins, but I'm not sure they have anything correct for my application. The car is set up for 6" rod end coilovers, and I want to change to bushings without cutting up the mounts.

your best bet for that is to look at Afco or Pro-shocks