PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with rear Suspension

jtm311
12-06-2009, 06:00 AM
I have read so many articles and now even more confused on which rear suspension will work the best for my ride.

Needs some help 4 link, 3 link, toque arm??
Just finished the front and I will go to a posi and want the leaf springs gone.

The car wants to be a pro-touring street driven ride :)

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
John

mrn2obelvedere
12-06-2009, 06:12 AM
My vote is for a 3 link or a torque arm, but I'm not a camaro guy so I couldn't say for sure. You probably have completely (or nearly so) bolt in options right?

jtm311
12-06-2009, 06:13 AM
Bolt on is ok.

Thanks,
John

Bryce
12-06-2009, 08:32 AM
the chassisworks triangulated four link would be my choice for bolt on, adjustable, multi-use suspension.

lateral dynamics 3 link is the best of the best and will require cutting your car.

ProdigyCustoms
12-06-2009, 10:12 AM
We sell and install 5 rear suspension brands / solutions including 4 link, 3 link, Torque Arm and leafs. Bolt in, weld in.

What kind of car?

jtm311
12-06-2009, 01:17 PM
Thanks Guys.

Frank it is a 69 camaro

John

mjoc1
12-06-2009, 02:11 PM
I would go with a hot rod from hells Truck arm suspension.

Handles very well and hooks up as well.

Mike

2ndgenhunter
12-06-2009, 02:26 PM
We sell and install 5 rear suspension brands / solutions including 4 link, 3 link, Torque Arm and leafs. Bolt in, weld in.

What kind of car?

Frank I think you sell everything but the kitchen sink. But If they make 1 for a car you could find. LOL

jtm311
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
I would go with a hot rod from hells Truck arm suspension.

Handles very well and hooks up as well.

Mike

Thanks Mike I like that but I do not want to change over my exhaust which I just finished welding in :)

John

JRouche
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Thanks Mike I like that but I do not want to change over my exhaust which I just finished welding in :)

John

Thats kinda difficult. Making the suspension fit around the soft parts. And when I say soft parts I mean the stuff that isnt part of the suspension which are the hard parts, physically part of the car which I dont see an exhaust being that. I see an exhaust as being a last step in the build up, easier to customize an exhaust to fit around a suspension than customize a suspension to fit around an exhaust.

Sounds like you are limiting yourself quite a bit.

If you are limited to the exhaust tubes, and routing a suspension around what you have then you may be very limited. Good luck and Id love to see what you come up with. Im sure it will be great... JR

jtm311
12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Jr you are correct I may have to rework the exhaust to make it work. I really like the watts link but I think it may be over kill?

John

ProdigyCustoms
12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
None of the aftermarket rear suspension conversions will allow your exhaust withoug modification. But most all of them can have tailpipes. We have a couple systems that have pre made tailpipes.

joeelutz
12-14-2009, 05:05 PM
Well I'm interested to see what you are going with since i'm facing the same delima with my 67.

Frank, what is your reccomendation since you have experience with all types?

jtm311
12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
I think I'm going to go with the quadralink. Just working on the rear (posi)

John

BMR Tech
12-17-2009, 10:04 AM
Frank is right, none of the kits listed will work with a stock type exhaust designed around leaf springs. Unfortunately you will probably have to rework your freshly built exhaust to accomodate a new suspension, regardless of the maker. I agree with JR that during the build process the purely functional parts of the car should be priority (ex: chassis, suspension, engine, driveline, etc.), and things like brake lines, fuel lines, exhaust shouldn't be fabricated until the end. I am sure this isn't how you planned it (I change my mind all the time and have re-done things more times than I care to admit).

You really can't go wrong with any of the suspension kits listed above but if you want a truly bolt-in kit that doesn't require any welding, cutting, or fabrication you should consider our Torque Arm Suspension. It will bolt right up to your 10 or 12 bolt rear and can be installed over a weekend with the proper hand tools.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

jtm311
12-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Thanks Brett that Nice work on that car.. Yea I have now accepted that the exhaust will have to be reworked. The good thing that is the easier part.

John

astroracer
12-17-2009, 03:41 PM
I have to play devils advocate here and ask what is wrong with the leaf spring suspension you currently have? A street driven car really doesn't care what suspension it has as the limiting factor is driving laws, the road and surface conditions. It is a well known fact that leaf springs are a damn good rear suspension. Add some tuneability with shocks and sway bars and I think it would be hard to beat. Especially if you want to avoid cutting up your car...
Mark

jtm311
12-17-2009, 03:49 PM
astroracer It is really a matter of taste. I have had both and my daily driver is a E55 which has no leafs. For me I never liked the feel of leafs in cornering.

John

exwestracer
12-17-2009, 06:23 PM
The torque arm setup like the one BMR pictured is probably the most "benign" under all conditions, and the easiest to install. Plus, mostly everything is below the axle centerline, so there is minimal intrusion into the trunk, backseat, etc.; and you can (if you choose) use the stock front leaf brackets.

Any triangulated 4-link you get to mount up without cutting the floor is going to be a real compromise from a geometry standpoint.

ITLBTU
12-18-2009, 10:26 AM
the chassisworks triangulated four link would be my choice for bolt on, adjustable, multi-use suspension.

lateral dynamics 3 link is the best of the best and will require cutting your car.

I don’t recommend the triangulated 4 link. I have it on my Camaro. While it handles nice, and was built with very good craftsmanship, the straight line performance is horrible. My SB 400 that maybe produces 450hp can not handle more than ˝ throttle in first gear or full throttle in second. While it is fun at times, I only run a 16.18 @112mph (according to my iPod touch pocket dyno)…. My 2 cents…

Bryce
12-18-2009, 10:56 AM
I don’t recommend the triangulated 4 link. I have it on my Camaro. While it handles nice, and was built with very good craftsmanship, the straight line performance is horrible. My SB 400 that maybe produces 450hp can not handle more than ˝ throttle in first gear or full throttle in second. While it is fun at times, I only run a 16.18 @112mph (according to my iPod touch pocket dyno)…. My 2 cents…

I guess I am not familiar enough with the camaro set up. I know the mustang version can have pretty good anitsquat. around 100% maybe higher.

What is your current antisquat. Also soften your rebound in your front shocks to promote some weight transfer. Tires will also make a huge difference. Low profile tires have a small contact patch.

What happens when you really hit it off the line? Tire spin? Wheel hop? you could also adjust the compression on your rear shocks a little softer to make the intial hit a little easier on the tires.

But the time seams horrible for the speed. Something may be off in the Ipod. My 65 mustang drag car with leafs and traction bars spins the tires in 4th gear on the street (and thats with my spare motor with only 325hp) the track is a different animal with a good launch pad and hot tires.

I would think you could tune about 4 seconds off your ET. Just decide what you want the car to do.

wendell
12-18-2009, 12:43 PM
astroracer It is really a matter of taste. I have had both and my daily driver is a E55 which has no leafs. For me I never liked the feel of leafs in cornering.

John

You don't dislike the feeling of leafs in corning. You might dislike the look of leafs, and that's OK but you'd do well to be true to that fact. 90% of the stuff that's been suggested was designed to separate you from your money. And they will do that well. Pick the one that looks the coolest. You'll be happy.

jtm311
12-18-2009, 12:56 PM
You don't dislike the feeling of leafs in corning. You might dislike the look of leafs, and that's OK but you'd do well to be true to that fact. 90% of the stuff that's been suggested was designed to separate you from your money. And they will do that well. Pick the one that looks the coolest. You'll be happy.

Wendell, I tend to build everything I can and not buy it. Most of the products out there are very easy if you have the right tools and the skills to build it.
I always wanted a Lamborghini so I thought I would build one :) Everything on this car including the suspension is all built by me :)

Twentyover
12-19-2009, 08:49 AM
I ............. My SB 400 that maybe produces 450hp can not handle more than ˝ throttle in first gear or full throttle in second. …

You can get MORE than full throttle in second? Tell us how!!!! :)

LowBuckX
12-19-2009, 10:12 AM

I disliked my leafs on my bumpy A$$ roads so I build my 3 link.. Is that a good enough answer for ya..:smoke:

Bryce
12-19-2009, 10:54 AM
I disliked my leafs on my bumpy A$$ roads so I build my 3 link.. Is that a good enough answer for ya..:smoke:

Word, and thats why I am also building my own 3-link.

JEFFTATE
12-19-2009, 11:53 AM
Wendell, I tend to build everything I can and not buy it. Most of the products out there are very easy if you have the right tools and the skills to build it.
I always wanted a Lamborghini so I thought I would build one :) Everything on this car including the suspension is all built by me :)

That's really a nice "kit ?" car..
Is it a kit ? , or a one-off build by you ???

I like it !!

JRouche
12-19-2009, 07:57 PM
You can get MORE than full throttle in second? Tell us how!!!! :)

He said not more than 1/2 throttle in first OR not full throttle in second. Meaning it prolly breaks away with a full throttle stab in second. Was it confusing :) I didnt see any reference to MORE than full throttle. I want one of those. Oh wait, a laughing gas button might give you that :) JR

ITLBTU
12-21-2009, 04:03 PM
He said not more than 1/2 throttle in first OR not full throttle in second. Meaning it prolly breaks away with a full throttle stab in second. Was it confusing :) I didnt see any reference to MORE than full throttle. I want one of those. Oh wait, a laughing gas button might give you that :) JR

I had to re-read my quote as well... I thought my quote made sense...:hammer:

jtm311
04-09-2010, 04:25 AM
So you think my body mounts needed changing :)
John

JMarsa
04-09-2010, 08:15 AM

Man, looks like the quality of Energy Suspensions parts is really going down hill! :)

--JMarsa

LowBuckX
04-09-2010, 08:37 AM
if your running frame ties id have gone with solid mounts instead of the urethane.. IMHO.

dubbleu
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Leaf springs are for trucks!! Go for it there are lots of great choices for rear suspension.:)

jtm311
04-09-2010, 10:23 AM
LOL I think a little paint and some lube they can be used again.. :)

I have went with solid on another car I really could not tell the difference, so I went with Polly this time, it is a street driver so no worries.