PDA

View Full Version : HELP - 12 bolt posi - Where does this part go??

rocketrod
04-13-2005, 06:12 PM
I am in the middle of doing a disc brake conversion on my 12 bolt. In the process I need to install longer wheel studs and I can not draw them in flush with the axle flange using a lug nut and rachet as I usually can. :banghead: So I have to remove the axles and have the studs pressed in. Here is where it gets interesting, which is really just a nice way of saying #!%'ing frustrating.....

I remove the differential cover and rotate the posi carrier around for access to the posi carrier shaft bolt. I remove the bolt while holding the posi carrier shaft in place. I then slowly removed the carrier shaft and I hear something inside the housing:doh:. I look inside the housing and I find a brass colored concave shaped disc that has a hole in the same diameter as the pinion carrier shaft and has dimples on the concave side of bushing (I have no idea what its correct name is)?

Does this bushing slide between the inside of the posi carrier and the axle gear (don't know correct name)? The other axle gear closest to the posi carrier shaft bolt has very little play in it, while the other gear has a lot. If that is its home which way does the bushing get installed, dimple side toward the axles or facing the carrier? And finally what is the correct term for this bushing and axle gears as I referred to them? :dunno:

Thanks in advance.

383blown
04-13-2005, 06:20 PM
If it is about the size of a fifty cent peice it is a thrust washer for your pinion gears sometimes called spider gears if it is fairly flat and about 3'' across with a large hole in the center for your axle to fit thru it is a thrust washer for the side gears and it fits between the back side of the gear and the carrier.

rocketrod
04-13-2005, 06:42 PM
Thanks..... It is about the size of a fifty cent piece and the hole in it is a perfect fit for the post carrier shaft bolt. So it fits between the carrier and the spider gear as I thought, but is dimple side facing the axles or carrier?

Do you know where I can find an exploded view, like a parts manual would have, of the rear end?

383blown
04-13-2005, 07:29 PM
The shape of the contour will only let you install it one way and usually the dimples face the gear. The back side of the pinion gear is rounded to fit the wear washer. It spoons against the gear just like you and your wife used to when you were newly weds at night!