PDA

View Full Version : Goodguys car show weekend

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-25-2004, 09:31 AM
anyone from the bay area goin ? ...its only up to 53 year cars =I hate that

yody
08-25-2004, 10:11 AM
yeah, its bad enought that all the GG shows are usually the same stuff/same cars, but i really try to avoid the hotrod shows, the cars are cool, just not worth me calling in to work

Stu Seitz
08-25-2004, 01:18 PM
ARGH!! 53 and lower...soo now swap meet for the 69 =(

jonny51
08-25-2004, 02:10 PM
Last one I went to was I think in march,lots of cars but IMO poor quality.

dennis68
08-25-2004, 03:27 PM
Not only do the cars from that period of time do nothing for me, the people who own them are for the most part older premadonna's with HUGE attitudes. I used to do ALOT of front-end work on the 40's and 50's with Mustang II suspensions, all of the folks I dealt with sucked.

awr68
08-25-2004, 04:15 PM
I usually travel 3hrs. to one of the GG shows in Wa. every year...couldn't make it this year though. The cut off year is 64 at this perticular show so you see some Mustangs, Chevelles, ect but no Camaros!! I don't think I'll ever drive my car to this event since I would have to park in the gravel accross the street and I just don't see myself doing that...I'd be stressed out all day. But the Spokane GG show has a cut off year of 70 or so, so I will deffinatly do that one!!

I was brought up around street rods and I actually really love them, don't hate me for that!! :) One day I hope to build one with a little PT influance.

Stu Seitz
08-25-2004, 04:40 PM
Yeah I have seen a lot with IRS but can tey really turn that well?

awr68
08-25-2004, 05:06 PM
From what I've heard...no. And that's exactly why I want to build a PT/Street Rod...well that and my wife wants one. :)

gEtyOpAPiOn
08-25-2004, 05:52 PM
well the swap meet should still have all years parts...but as in cars ...they all look the same when they are 54-down... to me ...it looks like they all have the same blowers and engines and tpi-s lol no offence maybe im wrong but it looks like that to me...but they do offer a good idea as in what kind of paint job would you like also in wheel set up...but those front suspensions make me nervous ...maybe cause they are ford oriented:lmao:

StRacerDuke
08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
I'll have my 68 Camaro on the trailer in the car coral area with a for sale sign in it all weekend. It's a black primer, big tire 68 with a orange and white stripped spoiler. The white Chevy Desiel with a banks turbo that's pulling it will be for sale too.

Salt Racer
08-27-2004, 08:44 AM
...the people who own them are for the most part older premadonna's with HUGE attitudes....all of the folks I dealt with sucked.

Sounds like Dennis and I would get along well. I must admit I like the body style of track T roadster, '37 Phord, '49-'51 Chevy Sedannette, '48-'49 Chopped Caddy Sedanette, etc, though I have yet to see one of these cars that I really like due to less-than-satisfactory engineering.

Yeah I have seen a lot with IRS but can tey really turn that well?

I'd rather have a properly designed solid axle than typical street rod IRS.
And deep-dish wheels on IRS cars are dead give-aways that those cars don't handle much better than when they rolled out of factory. Minimizing scrub radius on drive wheels is very important for straight line stability and to minimize roll steer.

I drove my Riviera to Bonneville Salt Flats this year. The car got fair amount of attention from people, but all they saw was a slammed '65 Riv on 18s and nobody really cared what's underneath (front (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/saltracer/Riviera/106_0613.jpg),rear (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v95/saltracer/Riviera/106_0606.jpg)).
Simply put, street rodders don't give a fu(k if their cars handle like a horse buggy. They seem to enjoy socializing at fairgrounds and polishing chrome parts more than driving. They are different kind of automotive enthusiasts. I personally think they should at least make their cars safe to drive so they don't have to drive their hot rods at 45mph on freeway and block off the traffic.

K

MrQuick
08-27-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey K how did the Riv do? We would like to see more pictures of it, on the flats too. I like the front end, still ride like a caddi on balloons?? :icon996:

dennis68
08-27-2004, 10:12 PM
Sounds like Dennis and I would get along well. I must admit I like the body style of track T roadster, '37 Phord, '49-'51 Chevy Sedannette, '48-'49 Chopped Caddy Sedanette, etc, though I have yet to see one of these cars that I really like due to less-than-satisfactory engineering and constrction typical of street rods (including pro-built cars).
Simply put, street rodders don't give a fu(k if their cars handle like a horse buggy. They seem to enjoy socializing at fairgrounds and polishing chrome parts more than driving. They are different kind of automotive enthusiasts. I personally think they should at least make their cars safe to drive so they don't have to drive their hot rods at 45mph on freeway and block off the traffic.

K
Salt Racer-added to buddy list, my new friend:cheers:

Should have known, sorry Kats. You guys gotta quit changing screen names, I'm sooo confused.

Salt Racer
08-30-2004, 06:55 AM
Vince,
The car drove pretty good except for overheating. Never had a problem around here, but it didn't like continuous 75mph cruising under 100-degree heat. Come to find out a bunch of tubes in radiator is plugged up. AFCO's dual pass alum radiator is on my way.

It doesn't have any safety equipment required to make a pass during SCTA's events. I want to go back in September for USFRA event as they'll let you run a street car for up to 140mph, but I don't think I can afford another trip this year.

I got the car up to 125-ish on the way. It's so stable at this speed that it's almost boring going straight, though I'm sure it'll be different at higher speed due to aero. I think I already told you what I did on strut rods. Coils are from IROC convertible, roughly 800 lbs/in with 5/8 coil chopped off. Strange shocks (coil overs minus spring seats) are cranked all way up, but I could use a bit more rebound. Swaybar is from '96 S10 4x4 ZR2 - I just used it b/c I had one laying around. Bumpsteer is about 1/16" toe out (26" span) at 2.25" bump and rebound. Front view geometry is crappy at best, but I feel low CG is more beneficial especially on heavy cars like this. Front ride freq. is about 1.19Hz, so it don't ride like a marshmallow anymore. With stock rear coils and no rear bar, it understeers big time on big sweepers. I suppose I can raise the PHB, but I'd rather not to. I'll get new coils when I can cough up some more money. I'll take a better pic of front suspension and send them out to you later.

I was pretty busy as a SCTA volunteer worker as well as a full time/part time crew for a couple of teams, so I only took one pic of flooded salt flats. But David Pozzi was taking a whole bunch of pics. I also posted some sample pics from scta-bni.org and landracing.com elsewhere. EDIT: here (http://66.70.234.198/forum/showthread.php?t=254)

Dennis,
I thought you'd figure out it was me when I posted in your bumpsteer thread. Sorry about the confusion. I'll stick with this screen name for a while, though.