PDA

View Full Version : por-15 to primer

paulk68
04-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Guys i am going to strip all of my front end sheet metal down to metal then i was planning on just putting them in dp-90 epoxy primer because they are going to sit for a while. would it be better to stip them coat them in por 15 then can i put the dp90 over the por 15 just so there is never a chance of them rusting. again. just a thought any help would be great.
Paul

ProdigyCustoms
04-02-2005, 02:42 PM
You will never be able to scratch the POR enough to get good adhesion. Use the DP 90 and save the POR for undercarrige, frame, etc.

fastbirds
04-02-2005, 04:52 PM
por 15 makes a product called ty coat its made so you can paint over por 15 . otherwise you can put some primer down while the por 15 is still tacky so you will have some bond .

68protouring454
04-02-2005, 06:52 PM
don't even mess with por and primer, go bare metal to dp 90, epoxy primer, just make sure to have rust sanblasted clean or cut and a patch fully welded in, you will not have future issues this way.
too many adhesion, lifting etc issue's priming over por
jake

ProdigyCustoms
04-03-2005, 02:27 AM
Personally I am not the biggest fan of POR. While I have had a sucsess or two. The falures and headaches far exceed the sucsess

Happyfunballs
04-03-2005, 05:45 AM
I've been having pretty good luck with using por as a no-sand primer. The tech manuals say that you can use por in place of an etch prime. Once sprayed, just wait till it finger drags(usually 2 to 3 hours later) then apply a primer or top coat over it. I've been doing this for a while without an issues. I'll also say that I haven't done that on any body panels or anything that is cosmetic to the car, i.e. hood, fenders, cowl, etc., but all the parts that I've been sand blasting, such as a drag link, rear end, convertible top frame, etc.

paulk68
04-03-2005, 08:24 AM
guys i will just go with the epoxy primer when i am ready.