PDA

View Full Version : Car alarms - what works well for classic muscle? Suggestions needed.

69LT1Nova
08-17-2009, 10:35 AM
I plan on driving my car and parking it unattended every once and a while. I'd like to hide an alarm somewhere on my Nova. All the alarm systems I've scoped out have provisions for auto this remote that, and a whole bunch of features I'd never use. Seems like I'd pay a lot of money for something (aka auto locks) that don't apply to my car.

I'm looking for something that screams like a banshee when my car is being effed with. Maybe even something that chirps a little when people get too close.

Features needed:

Easy install
Remote arm/disarm
LOUD alarm
Under $150 (may be flexible on this, but cheap is good)
Nice things to have:

Warning chirps
Shock detection
Starter disable
Sensitive, but doesn't go off all the time (annoying)

jy211
08-17-2009, 10:42 AM
for what it's worth save your money and just use mulitiple kill switches. If someone wants your car bad enough, they will get it.

69LT1Nova
08-17-2009, 10:47 AM
for what it's worth save your money and just use mulitiple kill switches. If someone wants your car bad enough, they will get it.

Eh, not what I'm looking for. I just want the car to make a scene if it starts getting messed with.

I also want to hit the key fob and have it chirp as I walk away... just to let all the potential theves in the parking lot know that it is protected in some small way...

I am not looking for a thief-proof alarm, there is no such thing on any car.

69LT1Nova
08-17-2009, 12:20 PM
I take it most people don't have an alarm on their PT ride?

I guess I'm just paranoid. I'd hate for the car to get stolen right after I'm done pouring 2 years of blood sweat and tears into her...

Mkelcy
08-17-2009, 12:32 PM
I take it most people don't have an alarm on their PT ride?

I guess I'm just paranoid. I'd hate for the car to get stolen right after I'm done pouring 2 years of blood sweat and tears into her...

I don't have an alarm, I think they're pretty useless. However to make theft harder, I do have a hidden kill switch, a remote hood lock/starter interrupt and a removeable steering wheel for when I leave the car overnight, e.g., in a motel parking lot.

minendrews68
08-17-2009, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking Smith & Wesson, Ruger, Glock, you know.....:machine:
I'm getting really tired of the butt holes stealing other people's cars.
sorry just a small rant....
Carl

Ash
08-18-2009, 02:18 AM
Just throwing out a couple different (and more modern) alternatives....

If ultimate piece of mind is what you're after, in regards to theft, I'd look into a GPS locater. 6 in one, half a dozen in the other as regards to price and service fees from company to company. I just don't have any vehicles that justify the cost yet.

Brickhouse : $470.00 plus ..$40.00 a month subscription

Lojack is an aweome service as well. Being a 911 dispatcher, I can attest to the service. I cant tell you how many times the local agency's helicopters "Chase" and "Alert" were cruising around and popped up on the radio asking for patrol cars to head to a certain area because they got a Lojack transponder hit in the vicinity. which ultimately lead to a recovery & arrests. And the service i included in the purchase price, for the life of the car.

OLDFLM
08-18-2009, 05:01 AM
Contact Jon at Electric-Life... he has many options to choose from!

FULMNTE
08-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Kill Switch, Removable Steering Wheel and a Bulldog 2030 alarm here...

OLDFLM
08-18-2009, 08:29 AM
A kill switch is always a good idea! And easy enough to do with the white wire coming off your MSD box if you're using one... just hide a toggle somewhere no one else would think to look! :secret:

clevorguy
08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Honestly, when ever I park that raises concern for me, I pop the distributer cap and pull the rotor. Do thieves keep spare rotors with them?

It's worth the effort for me.

formula
08-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I've heard of the distributor cap trick--and heard of a thief actually stealing a cap off of another car at a show that a car that had been disabled was stolen at--coulda just been coincidence, though, I suppose.

My current plan is to run a battery quick disconnect, gps tracker, and possibly a kill switch. I know, a battery disconnect won't slow a pro-thief down, but it will stop amateurs.

slownova73
08-19-2009, 07:43 PM
honestly, im a fan of alarm systems, im getting one along with power locks, possibly a gps trackin system, and my car isnt easy to start anyway on acount of my accesory switches,there on a seperate circuit boeard along with a master switch. so it wont be easy, classic indutries has has application specific alarms for novas, look into that it may be helpful.

Damon777
08-20-2009, 03:26 AM
I plan on driving my car and parking it unattended every once and a while. I'd like to hide an alarm somewhere on my Nova. All the alarm systems I've scoped out have provisions for auto this remote that, and a whole bunch of features I'd never use. Seems like I'd pay a lot of money for something (aka auto locks) that don't apply to my car.

I'm looking for something that screams like a banshee when my car is being effed with. Maybe even something that chirps a little when people get too close.

Features needed:

Easy install
Remote arm/disarm
LOUD alarm
Under $150 (may be flexible on this, but cheap is good)
Nice things to have:

Warning chirps
Shock detection
Starter disable
Sensitive, but doesn't go off all the time (annoying)

Just about any alarm these days is going to do this stuff. I've been using Viper/DEI products for years now.

Bear in mind most alarms are going to do the same thing, it's the installation that matters most. Pick up a (used) Viper 300/500/600/800 series off ebay, get an install manual and get to wiring. Bury the brain box somewhere not easily accessed, and do the same with the siren.

canadiantbone
08-20-2009, 05:13 AM
alarm that is connected to a police siren & blue & red strobes .

69LT1Nova
08-20-2009, 07:47 AM
alarm that is connected to a police siren & blue & red strobes .

Now we're talkin'! :Alchy:

69LT1Nova
08-20-2009, 07:48 AM
Just about any alarm these days is going to do this stuff. I've been using Viper/DEI products for years now.

Bear in mind most alarms are going to do the same thing, it's the installation that matters most. Pick up a (used) Viper 300/500/600/800 series off ebay, get an install manual and get to wiring. Bury the brain box somewhere not easily accessed, and do the same with the siren.

This is the route I'm thinking about taking. Thanks for the input. :1st:

Gordz32
08-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Just hide a mini toggle switch somewhere and wire it into your ignition wire. Alarms are a pain in the butt! Just make sure your covered with insurance stuff. The bottom line is that if people want something outta your car, alarm or not there gonna get it. I know this from experience, as some Ahole broke into my yukon with a security system and stole my stereo right in front of my house. But if you trick the thief with the ignition wire, they won't take it unless they have a flatbed.

CarlC
08-20-2009, 08:11 PM
Trunk monkey.

1969CamaroRS
08-21-2009, 02:39 AM
Trunk monkey.

Those are pretty classic:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8avOiTUcD4Y&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8avOiTUcD4Y&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

69LT1Nova
08-21-2009, 06:58 AM
^^^ Awesome! So when is the department of agriculture finally going to approve? I want one. :)

86regalss
08-22-2009, 11:36 AM
lo jack. stolen cars by flatbeds are common as well.

Gordz32
08-22-2009, 04:48 PM
lo jack. stolen cars by flatbeds are common as well.

Never a bad thing to have Lo-Jack, Just make sure that your local law enforcement has the equipment required to trace your car, though. Wasn't Frank selling a GPS/Alarm system thingy?

MonzaRacer
09-17-2009, 02:10 AM
Back when I was into doing stereos and such I sold Clifford and Avital.
Clifford and anything from Avital look good in my book.
I have had to remove way too many bull dog and viper, the electronics just plain SUCK .
Dont skimp, and simple isnt gonna cut it. if you want a good system save for a little better.
IF you buy Viper, buy 3 complete sets as they only seem to hold up about a year to 18 months.I even installed some of them and did it my way(ie no crimps, all solder connections, and still they never held up very well. most cheap security systems are super cheap.
I wonder if a guy actually built a solid state system that didnt break and was hard to foil if it would actually sell.
But then the ool setup I had on my 69 Pontiac was cool, 6 phone caps charged and dumped into Vortex Mag coils, rated voltage 245k volts DC, inline resistor kept its amps way low but with electrical cut out that old system never damaged anything but thieves shorts. Had class mate from tech school said he wasnt afraid and he saw the build and what it put out, so funny he never could let go! he was fine but man look when he got zapped.
Gotta love the old phone guy who told me how to wire the caps to dump,,,,hhmmmm wonder where I stashed all that stuffafter removing it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.

tyoneal
09-17-2009, 02:59 AM
Hello:

Whatever you choose to do, you might want to add this to your list.

http://www.ravelco.com/

I have them on all my cars. My insurance is familiar with them and I got a good discount with them.

From what I understand, other than someone hauling the car off, this it one of the best things.

You cannot, "Hot wire", a car with one of these on it.

Check out the site and the information. This and a tracking system should put you where you want to be.

Take care,

Ty

69LT1Nova
09-17-2009, 08:07 AM
^^^ very cool. Combine that with a typical alarm, and that would be a killer system.

DoABarrelRoll
09-17-2009, 08:08 AM
Did someone say tracking system?

http://www.opengpstracker.org/

PT Sportwagon
10-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Just about any good aftermarket alarm has the features you are looking for. but they are only as good as its installer. I had a good quality alarm on my car stereo competition Aerostar years ago. come to find out ever single connection was just wrapped and taped even the starter kill. From then on no one does any stereo work on any of my vehicles except me, unless I know and trust there work, that is maybe half dozen people in the country. ( yeah, I am picky)

Tim

JEFFTATE
10-20-2009, 07:58 AM
I bought a Viper Brand alarm from the local Viper distributor and installed it myself.
Seems to work fine.

JQE80
10-23-2009, 09:14 PM
A little extra thing I did was install another siren behind my center console and boy was that loud. It scared the crap out of a couple buddies and they didn't hear very good for a couple hours.

Jarrid

mc84_zz4
10-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Just remember that GPS needs line of sight, parking garages and inside a trailer and it is practically invisible.
Lo-Jack uses radio frequency, and cops love chasing them down, since it is almost a guaranteed perp into custody.
Alarm, column guard, kill switches, removal of: coil wires, steering wheel, rotor, etc; all will slow them down, and are worth the time installing.
The alarm remote can add features to your car too, open trunk, auto-lock when closed, fade to dark lighting, remote start, etc.

MonzaRacer
11-29-2009, 09:36 AM
Well after going to a DEI install class I retract my previous rant about Viper now that DEI is getting it together.
But for me after installing a Python 991 remote start/alarm I am actually impressed by the quality.
Avital quality is still there but it takes more add ons for newer cars/cars with can networking.
Where as the Python has lots of features added on too/in too them.

SoCal Cruzer
02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Check out Cardefender @ www.cardefender.com Great quality anti-theft system. It's not an alarm so no siren, but an effective easy to install dis-abler. It utilizes a transponder and can be used alone or with an additional siren alarm. MADE IN USA Too!

blackdog714
10-19-2010, 01:02 AM
I used my old cell and put it on a family share plan.

I hard wired it into my truck so it's always charged/on. Verizon has a set up for parents to track their kids and so if I'm not in my truck I can always see where it is. Poor mans LoJack :smoke:

Mr.VENGEANCE
10-19-2010, 05:14 AM
install an alarm that does the whole horn deal BUT

..install TRAIN horns..

ahahha

67rstbkt
10-19-2010, 10:27 AM
I was a car electronics installer for almost ten years; a good portion of that was in N.Y. I've installed all brands of alarms, Clifford, Avital, DEI (Viper, Python, etc.), Bulldog, Prestige, and many more. BTW, DEI bought Clifford years ago. I'm not sure if that's still the same, but just saying that a lot of the stuff out there is going to be similar. Personally, I've always had really good luck with any of the Viper products. Back when Circuit City was in business, they sold a Hornet alarm (Viper brand) for about $75. I'm still using it in one of my vehicles.

The best thing you can do is install the alarm yourself. Put the module somewhere that it can not easily be accessed. Hide all the wiring and blend it into the car harness. When I was living in Brooklyn, my car had the following:
A cut-off switch (I used a micro-switch behind the dash and used a driver's license to reach it before I started the car)
An alarm with it's own cut-off
A set of air horns hooked up to the alarm. You can use a diode, a relay, and a standard turn signal flasher to honk the horns.

In addition, I would do the following:
Do not run the main power to the battery
Make sure that the main power and parking light flash circuit are fused separately (most of the better alarms already have it built this way)
It would not hurt to have a battery backup siren (mounted someplace other than under the hood)

MonzaRacer
10-22-2010, 09:13 AM
I have a Python 991 in my 91 Cavalier that Igot for free when taking the intallation training , AWESOME, Remote start, temp/battery minder,alarm all in one., and so far bullet proof.any of the Python, Avital, or higher end DEI units are great so far.!

sniper
10-26-2010, 05:14 PM
install an alarm that does the whole horn deal BUT

..install TRAIN horns..

ahahha

Put the train horns inside the car. I'd like to see how long someone could sit inside with that going off.

As a side note. An alarm to me anymore is more to let the owner know his car is being messed with. So I am a fan of the smartstart module for the DEI products. Being that your phone is you remote, there are no range restrictions to letting you know your alarm is triggered.

1offboy
02-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Look into the Autopage C3 2way lcd remote alarm. The alarm will page the lcd every time the car is tampered with plus being C3 compatible means that by adding the C3 module you can track the car with your computer or your cellphone. The lo jack is ok as long as you call it in when your car is stolen quick. We have a customer that works for UPS and he had a bike with a lo jack that was stolen from the UPS parking lot and by the time he got back from his route later that day and he called lo jack they couldn't do **** for him. If you have the C3 tracking in your car it will call your phone the second someone mess with it and you can disable the car from your phone or computer.

fastercar68
04-04-2011, 03:02 PM
About 8 yrs ago I had a Clifford Intelliguard 8000 unit installed in my '68 Camaro. It has door, hood, & trunk switches; remote lock/unlock; ignition kill; proximity, interior, and tilt sensors; and anti-carjacking. Probably a lot of overkill to be sure. I like the idea that not only does it kill the ignition, but it takes the electric fuel pump with it. If they were to get around the ignition, they'd still have to get the fuel flowing to get anywhere.

killer67
04-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Viper/Clifford with motion sensor, glass break feature, and incline sensor. And a kill switch. And a .45

diesel25lrs
04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Does anyone know of any "new" alarm systems out there- I'm leaning on the viper right now? I'm running a hidden kill/starter switch in the cabin, like the idea of hardwiring an old smartphone in for gps tracking and adding it to the family plan, and having an alarm with tilt for the amateurs and flat bed weenies...