PDA

View Full Version : Muffler placement

rockdogz
03-29-2005, 11:03 AM
I tried to tuck the mufflers up underneath the body as tightly as possible, and I'm wondering if I've overdone it. They're only about an inch or so from the floorpan, and when I finally got my engine fired up and ran it for 10 minutes or so, the floor sure was HOT. Granted, I only had a single layer of dynamat without carpet yet and I would think that when the car is moving then it would cool it off somewhat, but should I move them down lower or use some thermal wrap? I'm definitely going to double up on the dynamat in the back seat area now.

homerneedspeed
03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
use some cool it alumnized heat barrier it is a little pricey but worth it. i ordered some from jegs and they are on the underside of the floorpan with no problem and really cut down on heat. the thermal wrap retains water and deteriorates the muffler/header/tubing.

rockdogz
03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
Hmm, I was wrong - I checked it tonight and it's more like 2-3 inches...

Are you talking about part number 893-14001, Thermo-Tec Aluminized Heat Barrier?

jeffandre
03-30-2005, 12:32 AM
I had my muffler so close that I started melting my floor insulation. I stuffed a fat piece of industrial valve insulation between the muffler and the floor and the heat dropped almost all the way off. It was barely warm to the touch!

Rick Dorion
03-30-2005, 04:55 AM
I have 1/4" in spots with some Thermo Tec self adhesive reflective stuff in those places with no problems.