PDA

View Full Version : late camaro consoles

paul67
03-28-2005, 04:30 AM
I have noticed people are now fitting late camaro consoles into 67-69s, is it possible for the width of these consoles between the seats be posted, as i would like to get 1 but fitting after markets seats it might not fit. Also year and type ie auto, manual.

Thanks paul67 :pics2:

Steve1968LS2
03-28-2005, 07:12 AM
Mine fit easily.. remember that the consoles get narrow in the back (between the seats) and wider at the front. We welded bar stock to the trans hump to use the factory mounting holes. To make it look right you need to build out the width of the trans tunnel a bit in the front right side. We did it using foam but you could also weld in some metal like Year One did.

Next time (this weekend) I have it out I will measure it for you. My Recaros are pretty wide and they fit fine..

JoshStratton
03-29-2005, 05:59 AM
It also depends on which 4th gen console you get. The Camaro/Firebird console from 1997-2002 is much different than the 1993-1996. I have a 79 Trans Am that I am putting one in and made the mistake of getting the 97-2002. While it 'may' not be much of an issue for you (I have seen a lot of the 97-02 in 1st gen cars), I thought I would post this for anyone with a 2nd gen car that will try to do this as well.

The console for the 97-02 is wider and wont fit over the shift tunnel very well with seats installed and there will also be a lot of gaps that will need to be corrected with either foam or metal plates welded in.

For the second gen, you will not have to do nearly as much fabrication for the 93-96 console to fit. The biggest difference between the 2 is the reduced number of cupholders...but who cares. You need both hands on the wheel when you are screeming down the roads at high speeds anyways! :drive2:

CAMAROBOY69
03-31-2005, 05:20 AM
The consoles easily fit with just about any seats. I had a 96 console and a 2002 console between my stock seats with a nice fit. And now with the 4th get seats they fit even better. The consoles are very flexible and can move easily 1" on the sides. You wont have a problem at all.

JoshStratton
03-31-2005, 05:21 AM
I was just refering to 2nd gen cars. They fit a lot better in the 1st gen cars.