PDA

View Full Version : 2010 camaro output shaft failure

vyking67
07-20-2009, 07:46 AM
so the 2010 camaro with the tremec 6060 trans has halted shippment on all 6 spd equiped ss models due to output shaft failure...
this is the same trans in the Z06 , viper, mustang GT500 , and a bunch others ...

they say if launch control is used or not they have seen failures..

anyone have an idea on what might cause this other than a manufacturing issue with that batch of transmissions .. which is what they are suspecting now..

BonzoHansen
07-20-2009, 08:36 AM
Maybe they are snapping from the weight of the truck tires on it..

:sarcasm:

vyking67
07-20-2009, 09:11 AM
nice... thats exactly what i was expecting to get

BonzoHansen
07-20-2009, 09:21 AM
sorry, i could not help myself. :)

Although someone on nastyZ did mention he was told they were having trouble with the 6cyl manual trans, and that was about a month ago. But he could not get further clarification either.

JEFFTATE
07-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Hmmm,
I heard something about this too.
I'll check into it.

James OLC
07-20-2009, 09:35 AM
I had also heard that the new ZO6's were having some issues with the Magnum...

vyking67
07-20-2009, 10:16 AM
this is directly from inside line..

DETROIT — One of the bright spots in a bleak inventory of sales numbers for the new General Motors Co. has been the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro (http://www.edmunds.com/il/chevrolet/camaro/index.html). GM executives in recent weeks have pointed to the new-age Camaro as the example of how GM can connect expressive cars with customers willing to pay full price.
Luckily for GM, the car has a receptive audience — after just three months on the market, the Camaro made a major statement by outselling the Ford Mustang (http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/ViewModelDetail/make=Ford/model=Mustang) in June — because the Camaro's launch has been anything but smooth (http://www.autoobserver.com/2009/07/camaro-selling-briskly---but-quality-control-seems-shaky.html), largely due to quality-control issues.
After fits and starts, the Camaro rollout hit another pothole this week when GM confirmed to Camaro enthusiast Web site Camaro5.com (http://www.camaro5.com/) that the company is suspending shipments of Camaro SSs (V8-engined) with manual transmissions while engineers investigate reports of failed output shafts.
It isn't yet known if GM will recall manual-transmission Camaro SSs that are already sold, but one insider tells Inside Line it is unlikely given the low numbers involved. Through June, Chevrolet sold a total of 15,397 Camaros, but manual-transmission SS models represent a markedly smaller population.
In January, GM delayed Camaro production for one month, pushing back the start of production at its Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, assembly site from February 16 to March 16 as engineers grappled with quality-control and supplier issues.
From there, the Camaro has endured a litany of confirmed and anecdotal quality problems perhaps most entertainingly characterized by an unintentionally humorous list posted at Camaro5.com to help potential new owners scour their Camaro for quality issues reported by other buyers.
The lengthy — and sometimes hilarious — checklist includes such worrying entries as loose oil-pan bolts and oil-cooler leaks; "mismatched paint on parts of the vehicle;" hoods that won't unlatch, intermittent air-conditioning operation; loose emblems and interior trim pieces and misaligned and poorly fitting body panels.
Inside Line says: The entire checklist of 65 items the forum suggests new owners inspect before taking Camaro delivery can be found on the Web site's forum (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30865). — Bill Visnic, Senior Editor, Edmunds' AutoObersver.com

a quick google search turned up many AP releases to the news but other than that fact that the trans is used in a gang of cars.. there was nothing

James OLC
07-20-2009, 10:45 AM
^^ gee... they don't even mention the dreaded caliper weights.

Stuff happens with every new car roll out - the Camaro and GM are not unique in this respect, it's just unfortunate that it is happening while they are under the mother of all microscopes.

vyking67
07-20-2009, 11:23 AM
they did not mention the caliper weights because that only effected the pre-order camaros from march 09 ... all new camaro ss models have had the issue addressed by brembo .. so you only get the extra 40 lbs of weight if you pre-ordered your SS model..

JEFFTATE
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
^^ it's just unfortunate that it is happening while they are under the mother of all microscopes.

Tell me about it .
I work at a Chevy Dealer.
I get questions all day about this kind of stuff.

vyking67
07-21-2009, 08:44 AM
on autoblog today they ran a short article .. that basically said GM has corrected the problem with the output shaft failure .. but would not disclose how they did it or what the problem actually was...

there was a source cited as saying that they simple changed the ecu to not allow the clutch to be "dumpped" at 6,000 rpm.. which is where the original limit was set..