PDA

View Full Version : Cup holder and console design help....

Jagarang
03-23-2005, 07:22 AM
Help me find a source for cup holders!! I've searched and searched.

I'm looking for the best way to incorporate cup holders into a console without simply having a hole in the top of the console to drop the cup into. I found the ones in the attached picture, which are along the lines that im looking for, however...
1. There is no bottom support for the cup and I'd hate to have carry around the designated spill free cup(which conviently comes with the holders) just because it works with the holder. I'm so clummsy I'm more likely to make a mess trying to pour the contents of whatever I buy into my cup holder specific mug, each and every time i need a drink.
2. Aluminum is preffered but not a requirement. Chances are whatever it is is going to get painted anyway.
3. Folding/spring actuated/hidden/collapsible in a HUGE plus
4. It probably needs to be modular or self contained so that it's part or parts can be "installed" or mounted into a console. The console will probably be MDF, wood, etc. so the opening can be made for the mechanism in anyway it needs.
5. A hole with a quality hinged lid so that the holders can be hidden when not in use is another option.
6. While we are at it, any suggestions on what usefull switches, trays, holders, voids, pockets etc you guys may think beneficial/convienient in a center console.(i.e. Courtesty lights, nick knack pocket, coin holder etc)

Steve1968LS2
03-23-2005, 08:14 AM
Lets see.. at least four aux switches.. could be used for power windows, nitrous or whatever..

two well designed cup holders.. a 12v acc plug hidden inside the storage area. Maybe a provision for a couple of guages (since it would be nice to have a clock).. Someplace to hide change for tolls and such..

Thats all I have.. oh make the main console modular so it fits in many cars and they can offer specific transitions that would tie the console into specific dashes.. so you would by the generic center console and the specific part to tie it into a dash on something like a 69 Camaro..

Just an idea..

rolandska
03-23-2005, 10:31 AM
Look at the cup holders for a mercedes E class if you can't find a picture anywhere I'll take a picture of the better halfs car tonight when i get home from work.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-23-2005, 03:09 PM
The E-class cup holder is definitely the coolest one I've seen. Not only is it hidden, but it's collapsable, and it swings out.

Jagarang
03-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Can't find it online. Is it a transplantable piece? What year E-class?

TonyL
03-23-2005, 07:44 PM
I like caddilac's design, its a little 1" drawer that slides out, and springs open. Very slick, and can accomodate many cup sizes.

the one in my chrysler town and country (2000 model) is very similar, but has one very cool option, the cupholder can be "clicked" into 4 different sizes to provide different levels of squeese.

be sure, if you build a pocket area and lid, to put a light in there.

also usefull buttons could be a truck popper, a gas door popper, or even a hood pop. then there are window switches and the usual stuff.

Ralph LoGrasso
03-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Can't find it online. Is it a transplantable piece? What year E-class?

The one I'm referring to is on a '96 Model. It's probably transplantable, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to do so. Basically it is inside a little compartment. You open the compartment, and then bush a button on the cup holder, it raises up, and out of the compartment, and then twists (opens) to the right, simultaneously (sp). It is a very trick piece, but I'm not sure how easy it would be to transplant. You'd probably need a pretty deep console.

nancejd
03-23-2005, 08:55 PM
Personally, Ilike these. Most of the street rod ones require you to use a tapered tumbler, which won't work if you have a can. I plan on using one of these, so if you buy one, please post a review so I know if they work as well as I think they will.:)

http://www.extrememetalpaint.com/ExtremeProducts.aspx

MuscleRodz
03-23-2005, 10:27 PM
In my '01 Camaro it has a swing out cup holder for the passenger on the console.

Mike

Jagarang
03-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I like those best so far James. I'm waiting for a return E-mail from them regarding the product. Hell maybe I'll just put a friggin hole in the middle of the console!!

todd8541
03-30-2005, 05:23 AM
My 94 mustang has a cup holder simliar to the one the website. I will tell you one draw back and my cars carpet is a testament to it. If the container is small and the bottom piece moves too easy the container can slide thru and spill. Just one thing that you would need to be aware of if you buy or install that kind.

Todd

TitoJones
03-31-2005, 12:38 AM
Volvo 960 has a dual version of that cup holder in the link above. Worth looking into.

Tyler