PDA

View Full Version : starter holes 406

GUS68
03-21-2005, 11:23 AM
I have a problem!!!! I have a 406 and am trying to use a GM vortec gear reduction mini starter, The holes are offset diagonally on the starter, the block only has the diagonal mounting holes. The starter bendix is just barely contacting the flexflate teeth. If I pry the starter in just a little it works for a couple of starts, till it forces the starter away from the ring gear. What the hell is my problem...

GUS68
03-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I can't be the only one here that has had a starter problem.

MrQuick
03-22-2005, 10:24 PM
Did you have problems before you swapped the starter? Sounds like you have the wrong starter. 2 types 1 for 153 tooth and 168 tooth. Sounds like your close right? Can't be an adjustment thing...shims move it away from the flex plate, are you running shims? ... is it up side down? sorry had to ask...hey how about some pictures?

David Pozzi
03-22-2005, 10:35 PM
I don't know about the mini starter but normal sized stock type diagonal hole starters are all for the large dia flywheels.

You can make a template off a three hole block and drill the hole you need.

ProdigyCustoms
03-23-2005, 06:27 AM
I have had a few problems with 400 blocks and the staggered hole starter mounting pad. I have had them kick back and go out of adjustment, making the starter grind. Work good a few times, then start grinding. It is usually in the block mounting face or starter.
If you have a 168 tooth wheel, which I am fairly certain you must or I do not think it will work even once, I would try a different starter and see if they mate better. A cheapo parts store unit may set you free. Also, the factory used a starter brace that supported the back of the starter to help hold adjustment. You may want to fab one up one of these braces for your mini starter.
David's idea of drilling the block for a convention inline starter mount is a good one, as starters are cheaper and easier to shim. However, if the motor is already in the car, you may say bad words trying to do this.