PDA

View Full Version : Question on setting the distributor

John S
05-23-2009, 08:00 AM
I've been having an ignition and timing problem and have a few basic questions that I need to double check on.
I've got a FAST XFI with a dual sync distributor on a SBC. I've already gone through and tripple checked everything electrically, and readjusted my valves (solid roller) just to ensure that everything is correct.
Here are my questions,
1) When setting the distributor at a 50* reference the rotor ends up about half way between the #8 & #1 cylinder once it is set according to the led's. If I rotate the engine to O* the rotor aligns with the #1 spark tower. DOes this sound correct?

2) Since the intake (HSR) does not provide a lot of room for the cap when it is all set the #1 spark tower ends up at about the 10 oclock position. This puts the hold down screws at 3 & 9 oclock which allows me room for final timing adjustments without the hold down screws hitting the HSR. As long as it is wired in the proper firing order this should not make any difference should it?

I'm heading out to get a new set of plug wires and would like to have this finished today if possible. Thanks for any help.

John S
05-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Well, I now think that the problem may actually be in the ECU. I posted some more information in the fuel injection section here

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56161