PDA

View Full Version : Soda blasters= Eastwood vs. Harbor Freight

gateman
05-17-2009, 09:08 AM
Are there any major differences in the quality of Eastwood soda blaster, (the $300 110lb. version) versus the same size at my local
Harbor Freight?? Any body use either or both?? I am a little weary of Harbor Freight since most of there tools are total junk.. However, a soda blaster is a simple product... Any advice???? Thanks, Mark....

Rhino
05-17-2009, 09:24 AM
I have no experience with the HF soda blasters, although I will say I did pick up a pressure media blaster that I'm extremely pleased with. The only thing I wasn't really happy with was the trigger mechanism/gun. After a trip to the local autobody supply store I had a higher quality gun and an excellent blaster.

Jake616
05-17-2009, 09:39 AM
How often do you plan on using it?

You do get what you pay for in blasting equipment, but if its only for a few time thing to get you ahead in your project and not a constant useage for something like commercial use....you would be fine with the cheaper route.

gateman
05-17-2009, 11:38 AM
it just for personal use on my own cars.. I dont want the cheapest product more like light commercial use. Would like to get a good gun / deadman valve (whatever it is called).. I will use it alot, but just for my own stuff.
Harbor Frieght just scares me with some of the junk they sell..

CRCRFT78
05-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Harbor Frieght just scares me with some of the junk they sell..

I think that pretty much sums it up right there.

Rhino
05-17-2009, 04:15 PM
I think that pretty much sums it up right there.
Out of curiosity, have you ever used one of these blasters? If so, what do you find lacking in it? My biggest complaint currently would only have to do with the base it comes with.
Media blasting isn't rocket science, nor does it require an extremely elaborate set up. Use good quality media fitting for your needs and you'll end up with good results.

Is it commercial quality, no. I don't think HF and commercial even belong in the same paragraph. After some of the last eastwood products I've used, I'm beginning to have a similar opinion of them as well. As long as it's occasional use ( a few times a year) it's easily met my expectations and an extremely low price.

CRCRFT78
05-17-2009, 04:33 PM
Are you asking if I've used a soda blaster? NO. But I have used everything from aluminum oxide, garnet, glass bead and even playground sand from Home Depot in my blast cabinet, pressure pot & a simple gun with a hose in the bucket (not elaborate at all) to blast everything from frames, rearends, control arms and so on. Is it rocket science? No but we're not talking about rocket science. Media is everything but its only as good as the equipment spraying it.

You yourself had to go and buy another gun to get the results you were looking for. Thats my point with HF, its hit or miss and they lack in the quality department. I use them also but I expect to get what I pay for. Hes concerned with the "junk they sell", not that EW is any better (never used them) but when I do I'll post my thoughts on their products also.

Mark, check out TP tools. Just another outlet to compare the HF & EW soda blasters to. It never hurts to shop around.

gateman
05-17-2009, 04:45 PM
cool, thanks guys.... I check into TP....

Declawed69
05-18-2009, 02:22 PM
I have the eastwood 110lb ALC (US made)

Here are some results

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/drivequart-1.jpg

It's very messy and do add a water sprayer otherwise an enormous white cloud will roll down the street and it kinda looks like you set something on fire.

You do end up with a nice white coating when done

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/crusty-1.jpg

Quite a bit of soda accumulates outside the target area.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/05/smile-1.jpg

110lb blaster holds just about 50lbs of soda and it lasts what seems like an eternity with a 1/8" nozzle. Your hands will cramp up holding the deadman valve open long before you finish.

50lbs does a little more than the quarter, the soda will strip lead if you let it. It also takes bondo off no problem.

PonchoJohn
05-19-2009, 02:26 PM
Will it remove rust? If not, what do you believe to be the most effective media for rust removal?

Declawed69
05-19-2009, 07:11 PM
It will take surface rust off if you slow down, but if you have a lot you need something more aggressive. There are a lot to choose from depending on how bad the rust is and how much you want to pay. I like ground glass, but others may use something like black beauty or red garnet which can be really aggressive and you need to be careful.

I swear at one time I saw soda with 10 or 25% aluminum oxide mix in to cut rust but I can't find it.

CRCRFT78
06-07-2009, 09:27 PM
Hey Mark did you ever make a purchase? I see Eastwood now has a DualBlaster (http://www.eastwood.com/dual-tank-blaster.html) on the market. My dad has a 49 Fleetline he wants to start on next week and I'm considering this blaster. We're going to try and do as much as we can on it ourselves.