PDA

View Full Version : Shop in Austin

GPat
05-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Hey guys I am new to Austin and have some engine and trans work I would like done, do not have the time to do it myself right now. Does anyone have an recommendations on shops and guys that do good work. Thanks

rat_rod_russell
05-12-2009, 12:16 AM
What specifically? My family has a hot rod and chassis shop in Luling (just south on 183) and we're seriously picky about who dose what around here. I can't find one good shop for any specific task and the same goes for our shop. We have 2 different transmission guys and different engine builders / shops depending on what I need done. The same goes for most components, most specialize in an area but suck at others so I try to pick the best place for the job and let them shine.

carbuff
05-13-2009, 09:07 PM
Russell,

I am also in the Austin area, and am searching out shops for various portions of my project that I don't plan to tackle... Specifically, I'm looking for a place that will do a really nice roll cage. Do you have anyone in the area (perhaps yourself included if your shop does that type of work?) that you have used with good success? I will also be looking for someone to do some basic interior work (headliner install for example).

I should drive down to Luling and check out your chop sometime. Were you guys at the New Braunfels Swap Meet a couple of weeks ago? I saw a frame there that looks like one from your website...

Bryan

rat_rod_russell
05-13-2009, 10:35 PM
Bryan

I've got 2 Cr-Mo-Alloy roll cages for our personal cars lined up (one 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop and a C5 Corvette racecar) I want to get an IHRA certification and an inspection with a NASA scruitineer over in Houston and get the thumbs up on cages 100% designed and built here then we're going to start offering that service.

Kendal Burleson is a man you want to talk to about your interior. He just took his last foot out of the custom jet interior business and went back 100% into the car upholstery business.

For a cage NOW You want to talk to Manny with Manny's chassis Shop in south Austin. He's one of the best drag chassis builders in the nation. I can't find his number right off hand.

You saw Billy, my little brother, and Jim, my father, at the Swap Meet. They had the chassis for a 57 convertible we're building right now I'm just waiting for the customer to make up his mind on a motor. Feel free to stop by whenever we're here 7 days a week just give us a call before you swing by to make sure we didn't run out for a find or parts.

http://www.hotrodjim.com

-Russell