PDA

View Full Version : What setup to use with 15" rims

NovaPwr
03-14-2005, 05:10 AM
I am about to install some new upper and lower ST control arms on my 72 Nova. At this point I am eliminating the old drum brakes. I have a factory disc spindle set and backing plates etc. all blasted and painted and ready, no calipers or rotors yet. But, really did not want to go with just the 11" rotors. I see the C4 and C5 setups require 17" rims so that is out of the question for this year. From reading all the posts here and links to other sites it seems everyone prefers the drum spindles, eliminating the use of the spacer. I figure if I can put on a 12" rotor now, that should be sufficient for the way I drive. I don't want to use the wrong spindle and end up changing it out later. I would really appreciate your input.
Thanks, Dave

USAZR1
03-14-2005, 11:42 AM
For almost any 12" brake kit,you're going to need something larger than a 15" rim. If you just have to have 15's,my suggestion would be Baer's Serious Street 11" kit.

NovaPwr
03-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks Clint. I would prefer bigger rims but summer would be over by the time I could afford them. I dropped a pile on suspension goodies and will check out the mean street setup. Might be good enough for me.

CAMAROBOY69
03-15-2005, 04:47 AM
If you can save the extra bank then go with anything bigger than 15" wheels. It is really hard to get a nice look with 15's too. If you can at least get 16" im sure you would be a lot happier. If you cant afford what you want right now, its really worth it to just wait. :) I had to wait 2 years but it was welll worth it. :3gears:

PHERMEMAH
03-15-2005, 12:29 PM
I put 12" C4 brakes and rotors on my 68 Camaro, using a drum spindle and my own home made braket. I was planning on using 15" rallys (sp) but that was going to require at least an 1/8 in. material removal from the caliper, did want to have to do that in the future. Went to the junk yard an picked up five used 15" IROKs for $168 after taxes, they clear fine with at least 1/2" clearance on the caliper. I think if you use aluminum wheels they will have more clearance than steel wheels due to the structure.

It is possible, just make sure you measure and mock everything up before buying wheels. I actually picked up an extra set of drum spindles before I started, same junk yard.

FYI i like the look of muscle cars with 15" wheels, but also want 17's or 18's in the future when I can afford the FISKE wheels i really want.

USAZR1
03-15-2005, 01:50 PM
There are always exceptions to the rule,,but not many.
By machining the caliper fins,I've seen CCW 15x10 wheels used on the rear of ZR-1's for running MT E/T Streets.

LTorres
03-16-2005, 12:00 PM
I know of some that is building 69' Chevelle and he actually already had the Baer Trac-System hubs and mounting brackets but is now having someone build the rotors cross-drilled and slotted 2pc to his specification. They were even so nice as to build brackets to mount Wilwood brakes to his Baer Brackets and B-body spindles. If you want the biggest rotor possible and want to stick with 15" wheels let me know and I'll source this for you.

NovaPwr
03-16-2005, 03:57 PM
I know of some that is building 69' Chevelle and he actually already had the Baer Trac-System hubs and mounting brackets but is now having someone build the rotors cross-drilled and slotted 2pc to his specification. They were even so nice as to build brackets to mount Wilwood brakes to his Baer Brackets and B-body spindles. If you want the biggest rotor possible and want to stick with 15" wheels let me know and I'll source this for you.

Thanks for the info, I think I may have a handle on something now.

F1 Speed
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Welcome to the forum Laramie,
That would be my project that you are descibing. I have to let you guys know that I got a killer deal on a front and rear system from the guys over at Precision Brakes Company. I will keep everyone posted as to the quality of this kit. I decided to step up to the 14" fronts with the 6 piston SL calipers and the 13" rears with the 4 piston SL calipers for this project. I'll post pics as soon as I receive the kit. Should work great with the Hydratech set-up.