PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen partial front clip assembly possible?

67RSSS502
03-13-2005, 11:35 AM
In the coming weeks after I r&r the cam for a lube change and finish some electrical connections in the engine compartment I was hoping I could partially assemble my front clip to help with the assembly process. I want to be able to install my rad, trans cooler, electric fans, condensor etc and route all my hoses without the fenders themselves being put on the car. I am trying to prevent paint scratches while I work on things.

I have looked at my assembly instructions and I am not 100% sure that the rad support will be sturdy enough just bolted up by the lower body mounts.

Any thoughts or experiences in this regard?

Thanks!
Dion
67RSSS502

paul67
03-13-2005, 12:58 PM
if you do not want to fix the wings why not get some electrical tubing flatten each end and bolt 1 end to the rad support and across to the upper wing mount by the screen i would 1" it not to stiff to hit with hammer but should stop any movement
paul67

69Myway
03-14-2005, 05:27 AM
Dion,

I have recent experience with a 1st gen front clip. Let me tell you, these things are a pain in the butt! The whole thing will twist and change for alignment purposes.

I like the idea of putting the support rods to hold it while you do the mechanical.

I would suggest however that you pre-assemble the whole thing in primer at least once to get a feel for things before you go to inner panel paint. Then take it all back off, paint the inside, and assemble with tape and paper around the bolting points to avoid scratches.

paul67
03-25-2005, 05:13 AM
If you do pre-assemble the wings, hood etc where they bolt and you have lined everything up, get a small drill1/8" and drill holes in the bonnet hinges into but not through the hood and wings mounting brackets so when you reassemble just line up the small holes and it should all fall into place, also i would take pics as well. paul67

Steve1968LS2
03-25-2005, 06:55 AM
Nuff said:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

It is the best way to prevent scratches.. :)