PDA

View Full Version : So. Cal. Del Mar Goodguys Autocross

CarlC
03-16-2009, 07:24 PM
So who's going? April 3-5. I may be able to make Sunday.

larknut
03-16-2009, 07:28 PM
I am making the drive from Nor-Cal with a buddy of mine. Hope to see som good action.

carterhickmandesigns
03-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I will be heading out to work the show. I will be in the House of Kolor booth

James OLC
03-16-2009, 08:09 PM
I'll be there - in the Optima Batteries booth and on the autocross.

David Pozzi
03-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Mary says we're going!!! :)

vp23271
03-16-2009, 09:12 PM
I will be there Saturday rooting you all on!

Steve1968LS2
03-16-2009, 09:25 PM

You've gotta help me get ready for the grudge match..

Me in BP versus Nick in Kyle's DSE 2nd gen... I hope to God there are no walls at the finish line or this might get ugly.. er...

CarlC
03-16-2009, 09:39 PM

Don't rock that boat David!

If you two need a 3/4 distance stop-over there's a room in Glendale with your names on it. We'll leave the light on for ya.

ProdigyCustoms
03-17-2009, 12:25 AM
I will be there driving a stolen silver and carbon fiber 68 Camaro!

Cannot wait!

larknut
03-17-2009, 03:02 AM
It looks like I'll have a good chance to meet some people finally.

PSV
03-17-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm flying in on Friday morning from New Mexico. I would greatly appreciate a ride in any of these awesome cars. Mine will hopefully be completed this year and at the show next year. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Damn True
03-17-2009, 07:25 AM
I'm thinking about going. But I'd need a place to crash.

mpozzi
03-17-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm flying in on Friday morning from New Mexico. I would greatly appreciate a ride in any of these awesome cars. Mine will hopefully be completed this year and at the show next year. Can't wait to meet everyone.

No problem with getting rides and if the passenger seat's empty, jump in ...

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

79-TA
03-17-2009, 10:39 AM
Mary, will you be bringing a different ('72 or older) car to Del Mar or will they make an exception for the '73?

Last weekend was so much fun, I was thinking of registering my fox body for Del Mar. Then I remembered the '72 cutoff. Oh well, my study schedule probably couldn't handle both Del Mar and the Long Beach Grand Prix so close together anyway. :)

DriverzInc
03-17-2009, 11:44 AM
Definitely will be there. Stop by our booth!

Gordz32
03-17-2009, 11:54 AM
All of us from Best of Show will be there with a couple of cars. If your in the area feel free to stop by the shop in San Marcos

rsk68
03-17-2009, 01:02 PM
I'm going to try for one of the days, Sunday looks the best.

Steve1968LS2
03-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Mary, will you be bringing a different ('72 or older) car to Del Mar or will they make an exception for the '73?

Last weekend was so much fun, I was thinking of registering my fox body for Del Mar. Then I remembered the '72 cutoff. Oh well, my study schedule probably couldn't handle both Del Mar and the Long Beach Grand Prix so close together anyway. :)

If Dale Jr. can be a finalist for Street Machine of the Year with a '73 then I'm sure Mary will be ok :)

Larry Callahan
03-17-2009, 01:17 PM
I will be there.

Hey, since Frank never gets out this way and we were going out for beers afterward on Saturday night how about this.

Saturday night is "Have a beer with Frank and Larry" night. LOL! I could find a place and maybe reserve some seats?

mpozzi
03-17-2009, 02:02 PM

My car's one of those rare COPO four-cylinder hybrid, one-speed 1972 (and a veeeerrrrrry long half) model year Camaros so I shouldn't have a problem ... :naughty:

Cheers and hotel lodging has been made. Hope to see everyone there and can't wait.

Mary Pozzi

Steve1968LS2
03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
I will be there.

Hey, since Frank never gets out this way and we were going out for beers afterward on Saturday night how about this.

Saturday night is "Have a beer with Frank and Larry" night. LOL! I could find a place and maybe reserve some seats?

I'm in.. :yum:

vp23271
03-17-2009, 04:25 PM
I will be there.

Count me in :cheers:

ProdigyCustoms
03-17-2009, 04:30 PM

Paul, I will take you for a ride in MotiV8tr.

Gordz32
03-17-2009, 06:40 PM
I will be there.

I'd be down for that! Oh and since I didn't make it to Costa Mesa I'll be looking for a ride in sombodys car for the autocross?

mpozzi
03-17-2009, 06:59 PM
You've gotta help me get ready for the grudge match..

Me in BP versus Nick in Kyle's DSE 2nd gen... I hope to God there are no walls at the finish line or this might get ugly.. er...

So does that mean I get to help Nick??? This is gonna be a close one and we should start pari-mutual betting. Like what's the time differential and odds ... any takers???

Main problem is I wouldn't know who to bet ON as both of you can go low when you have to.

And it's a YES for dinner Saturday night. An evening of racing a bench ... very cool!!

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

deak350
03-17-2009, 07:18 PM
Count me in. I can't wait.

David Pozzi
03-17-2009, 07:38 PM
"Main problem is I wouldn't know who to bet ON as both of you can go low when you have to."
?????
Should I be worried about this?

ProdigyCustoms
03-17-2009, 08:00 PM
I will be there.

I am pretty excited about coming out, hanging with Larry and MotiV8tr, Wrestling (Sumo Wrestling, LOL) with Larry for "who's going next on autocross". But mostly meeting a lot of the west coast members and customers I have come to know over the years.

-The Stig-
03-17-2009, 08:16 PM
I'd sign up for the show / autocross but the site won't let me register a vehicle newer than 1972. :(

Which technically means Marry can't bring her prized '73 Cruise Missile. For shame!

Bright side is, gives the rest of the field a chance to look fast. hahah

Steve1968LS2
03-17-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd sign up for the show / autocross but the site won't let me register a vehicle newer than 1972. :(

Which technically means Marry can't bring her prized '73 Cruise Missile. For shame!

Bright side is, gives the rest of the field a chance to look fast. hahah

'73 is a grey area since it's identical to a 72...

-The Stig-
03-17-2009, 09:06 PM
This is true...

Maybe I'll register the G8 as say... a '72 Pontiac Ventura with a G8 body kit and rolling stock. Hey... it's a Pro-Tourer... right? :)

Vegas69
03-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Very tempting for me...have to see if the folks are out of town in time.

Larry Callahan
03-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Del Mar online registration closes on the 20th by the way. I did it tonight.

Vegas69
03-17-2009, 10:01 PM
What are my options for my car? Anybody have a place to keep her or is it safe to store at Del Mar?

79-TA
03-17-2009, 10:11 PM
This is true...

Maybe I'll register the G8 as say... a '72 Pontiac Ventura with a G8 body kit and rolling stock. Hey... it's a Pro-Tourer... right? :)

lol, after Mary's comment, I was tempted to call the TA a '72 14/2.

ProdigyCustoms
03-18-2009, 04:17 AM
What are my options for my car? Anybody have a place to keep her or is it safe to store at Del Mar?

We can find you a spot at a vendors booth over night or where they are keeping their cars over night. Safety in numbers so to speak. Larry left his car with a vendor.

At most Good Guys, most of the cars just sit in the hotelparking lots! Even the trailer cars. I have seen near 7 figure cars sitting in the parking lot.

Steve1968LS2
03-18-2009, 06:02 AM

Let me see... maybe BOS since they are only 20 min from Del Mar.

Would you trailer the car here or drive it?

Lance-W
03-18-2009, 08:00 AM
I'm very tempted to try the Autocross.

What exactly are the minimum requirements for the car to run? I've read a bunch of other posts about it and see that you need a minimum tread wear rating of 200? Is this the same as the UTQG rating on the tire rack website? What about safety belts? Will factory 69 belts be satifactory? What other minimums are there? I've never done this before so am I going to be a nuisance to the experienced drivers? Should I try/learn this somewhere more appropriate?
When you register on the Goodguys site do you need to specifically register for the Autocross or is it included on the basic registration?

Can you tell I'm new !

Vegas69
03-18-2009, 08:10 AM
I'd definitely like to drive depending on weather. I think shes ready for the first long road trip. I need to work on a co pilot since registration ends on Friday. Let me do a little leg work and I'll get back at you to see if a spot is open at BOS or a vendor.

Steve1968LS2
03-18-2009, 08:34 AM
I'm very tempted to try the Autocross.

What exactly are the minimum requirements for the car to run? I've read a bunch of other posts about it and see that you need a minimum tread wear rating of 200? Is this the same as the UTQG rating on the tire rack website? What about safety belts? Will factory 69 belts be satifactory? What other minimums are there? I've never done this before so am I going to be a nuisance to the experienced drivers? Should I try/learn this somewhere more appropriate?
When you register on the Goodguys site do you need to specifically register for the Autocross or is it included on the basic registration?

Can you tell I'm new !

You can run any tire you want but for your times to count in the contest they have to be at least a treadwear of 180 or higher.

You need seat belts, I'm pretty sure lab belts are fine and you have to pass a basic safety tech inspection (lugs, battery hold down, etc)

Don't worry, it's easy and fun.. no pressure and you'll catch on quickly.

PSV
03-18-2009, 09:13 AM
Awesome, Thanks for the offer to ride with Mary and Frank in the MotiV8tr. I can't wait.

Vegas69
03-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Well it looks like I have a co pilot lined up. Curtis is making the trip with me. Any recommendations on lodging? Frank where are you staying?

Larry Callahan
03-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Frank where are you staying?

I am working on that now on my lunch break.

Vegas69
03-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Appreciate a recommendation Larry.

Larry Callahan
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
I am going cheap. I booked a Motel 6 about 8-9 miles away. It looks like something I would not recommend but would stay at. LOL Defiantly going to leave MotiV8r at the Air Ride booth.

Larry Callahan
03-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Motel 6
5592 Clairemont Mesa Blvd
San Diego, CA 92117
858-268-9758

rsk68
03-18-2009, 06:52 PM
I dropped off the car today at my friends shop so he can fix the rear axle slop I have, this should help out the problem I'm having with it pushing the brake pistons in, after that I'm taking it to Wilwood to have them trouble shoot the brakes some more before I make the decision on a Hydraboost swap.

I will have my Sister drive the car down to Delmar for the show Saturday and I will be there Sunday for the Auotcross event, now I'm excited.

James OLC
03-18-2009, 07:06 PM
I will be there.

Sounds like a plan!

I'm not going to miss towing the car down for Del Mar... flying will be so much easier... looking forward to it already!

mpozzi
03-18-2009, 09:26 PM
I dropped off the car today at my friends shop so he can fix the rear axle slop I have, this should help out the problem I'm having with it pushing the brake pistons in, after that I'm taking it to Wilwood to have them trouble shoot the brakes some more before I make the decision on a Hydraboost swap.

I will have my Sister drive the car down to Delmar for the show Saturday and I will be there Sunday for the Auotcross event, now I'm excited.

Not 100% sure but I read the autocross is Friday and Saturday only.

Mary Pozzi

Damn True
03-18-2009, 11:04 PM
Can someone confirm please? If this is the case I may rethink coming down.

Besides.....I still don't have a place to stay.

James OLC
03-19-2009, 05:18 AM
per the Goodguys website:

Del Mar Nationals
April 3 & 4 | Del Mar, CA
Friday 9AM - Noon & 1PM - 4PM
Saturday 9AM - Noon & 1PM - 4PM

Larry Callahan
03-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Now wait a minute! I read some place a while back it was both days. Frank is flying out, I booked a hotel e.t.c.

That's a long ways to go for a few hours of autocross time. Hmmmm

Steve1968LS2
03-19-2009, 06:37 AM
Now wait a minute! I read some place a while back it was both days. Frank is flying out, I booked a hotel e.t.c.

That's a long ways to go for a few hours of autocross time. Hmmmm

Get there Thursday.. run Fri and Sat and then go home Sunday (unless you win something).

Friday will be light so you should get LOTS of runs..

Nessumsar
03-19-2009, 10:48 AM
Grrrrr, i have to work both days...

Larry Callahan
03-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Get there Thursday.. run Fri and Sat and then go home Sunday (unless you win something).

Friday will be light so you should get LOTS of runs..

I can't get away from work so Sunday will just be show day.

rsk68
03-19-2009, 12:10 PM
Larry are you still driving up friday after work?

-The Stig-
03-19-2009, 04:55 PM
Grrrrr, i have to work both days...

If you don't go, I doubt I'd go... especially if there's a chance I won't be able to run the G8.

Plus, I need my co-driver for the conez!! :wrc:

CarlC
03-19-2009, 06:03 PM
That blows. If Sunday is sans autocross I'm out.

mpozzi
03-19-2009, 06:56 PM
Can someone confirm please? If this is the case I may rethink coming down.

Besides.....I still don't have a place to stay.

It's hotel mecca down there ... the CSAA Mountain View office can get you reservations.

The autocross is Friday and Saturday only.

Mary Pozzi

Vegas69
03-19-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm registered and should be there on the 3rd in the afternoon. Steve I may have to take you up on the BOS deal unless Frank can find me a vendor spot.

Larry Callahan
03-31-2009, 08:16 PM
Larry are you still driving up friday after work?

Susan Frank and I will be driving out Friday night. I'm not sure what time yet. I can't pick up the trailer until 6 and Susan won't get home from work until 6:30ish. I would rather wait and drive out late after the Friday night traffic dies down.

Anyone live near there or know of a place to go have a beer?

Larry Callahan
03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
I'm thinking about going. But I'd need a place to crash.

Did you find a place?

David Pozzi
04-01-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm getting down to Del Mar sometime tonight or mid-morning tomorrow. We'll figure out a place to get together Friday evening and touch base by cell.

Larry, call Dave or me. I'll PM you my cell.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Damn True
04-01-2009, 09:44 AM
Did you find a place?

Nah, not coming.

I got too much stuff going on up here.

Larry Callahan
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
I'm getting down to Del Mar sometime tonight or mid-morning tomorrow. We'll figure out a place to get together Friday evening and touch base by cell.

Larry, call Dave or me. I'll PM you my cell.

Cheers,
Mary Pozzi

Awesome!!!!

Larry Callahan
04-01-2009, 09:50 PM
Nah, not coming.

I got too much stuff going on up here.

Bummer!!!!

Damn True
04-01-2009, 10:12 PM
Bummer!!!!

I know. It'd be a hell of a drive for one day since the auto-x was only on Saturday and I'm not that interested in a static car show. Besides, the cost of the gas/hotel/eating out can be applied to my car.

rogue
04-02-2009, 01:52 PM
I'll be down there checking out a 61 Lincoln Continental for a friend in the corrall. Unfortunately will not be running my camaro but i'll drop by for sure.

-The Stig-
04-03-2009, 08:05 AM
Getting a late start... but Nessumsar and I will be joining you kids today.

I'mma show you how it's done with extreme amounts of body roll!

-The Stig-
04-03-2009, 09:30 AM
Ok... nevermind. Jon and I are useless human beings... couldn't get our arse's moving until 10am.

But, we're going to spend the day doing car prep. The Nova is getting aligned and setup for superior handling.

The G8... is getting washed. :-/ Maybe some new 'shoes'.

Update: Tomorrow looks iffy... just found out that the Flexplate on Jon's Nova probably cracked. We're prepping the car at 6:30pm, new parts in hand... going to try and get'r'done tonight. We're gonna pull one of those "Hollywood all-nighter montages" with cheesy rock music going on all done up with dramatic editing to make it look really difficult and like we get the last bolt tightened at the very last moment.

Yup. That's how I picture it.

What's really going to happen is we'll spend a few hours cursing at the car then just get it done.

Wish us luck, hope to see you kids out by the cones in the AM.

larknut
04-03-2009, 09:10 PM
Well I'm hooked!

Steve1968LS2
04-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Well I'm hooked!

lol

-The Stig-
04-04-2009, 12:05 AM
It's 1:03am... Done.

Finally.

Larry Callahan
04-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Susan and I are running late but on our way.

ROBS6T8
04-04-2009, 08:35 AM
Ya'll have fun! Sounds like a good time to be had. Unfortunately, my job has now taken me away from having the weekends off.:evil: So I will miss all the fun summer time action. More time to get the car done.
Mary, if we don't get up there before May for an autocross, we'll have to meet up in the future.
I'll be looking for pics and videos of this weekend.

Robert

Damn True
04-04-2009, 10:22 PM
Well?

David Pozzi
04-05-2009, 06:27 AM
Just checking out of the motel this morning. Mary won, will recieve a set of BFG tires, plus an invitation to the Optima Challenge!!! :)
Mary beat Kyle in the DSE second gen but their driver ran an outstanding run a couple of tenths faster.
Penny ran great, had an issue with the lower A arm hitting the rim when turned sharp. borrowed some air grinders from DSE and made more room. James did well in the OLC, I got a chance to drive it for one run and it has understeer issues but not as bad as Penny had.

Steve beat Nick in their autox dual, but Penny was wearing 100 treadwaear tires on the 18" wheels as the 17's would not clear the lower A arms.

Larry got there at noon Saturday, got in some runs and the issues were muich smaller ones this time. Everyone is pretty tired and Mary and I still have a long trip home after we get out of here. Mary has to stay for the 1:30 pm "cruse" in order to collect her prize. I think the Optima booth is one of the best since it has Penny, "not penny" and "really not Penny" in it.

OLC has a "Not Penny" license plate, and Larry is talking about getting one that says "Really not Penny"
Out for now, Cheers, David

buickfunnycar.com
04-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Awesome news Dave,congrats Mary and drive safely home...:1st:

CarlC
04-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Congratulations to two of the nicest and most deserving people I know. Great job Mary and David.

Chad-1stGen
04-05-2009, 06:52 PM
Sweet!

Wish I coulda been there to even just watch :)

Anyone get some pics or vid?

-The Stig-
04-05-2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, pictures preferably of the runs where I was riding shotty with David in Mary's car...

Best time everrr.

Larry Callahan
04-05-2009, 08:07 PM
What a weekend! Traffic was a mess and it took us 2-3 hours to get to the autocross once we hit the freeway off ramp. Susan and I had a great time all weekend and I got a little time throttle steering. What a blast! I hope the two in car videos that were shot comes out. One hot one not. LOL!

We are pretty burnt, tired and heading to bed. I will post more tomorrow and throw in a few pics.

Thanks to Optima for inviting me to display my car in their spot on Sunday, to Prodigy Customs for building it and thanks to the fan crowd that I could hear yelling and cheering me on during my laps.

Wish you had made it Frank. It was a BLAST!!!!

CurtiSS 69
04-05-2009, 09:15 PM
Just checking out of the motel this morning. Mary won, will recieve a set of BFG tires, plus an invitation to the Optima Challenge!!! :)
Mary beat Kyle in the DSE second gen but their driver ran an outstanding run a couple of tenths faster.
Penny ran great, had an issue with the lower A arm hitting the rim when turned sharp. borrowed some air grinders from DSE and made more room. James did well in the OLC, I got a chance to drive it for one run and it has understeer issues but not as bad as Penny had.

Steve beat Nic in their autox dual, but Penny was wearing 100 treadwaear tires on the 18" wheels as the 17's would not clear the lower A arms.

Larry got there at noon Saturday, got in some runs and the issues were muich smaller ones this time. Everyone is pretty tired and Mary and I still have a long trip home after we get out of here. Mary has to stay for the 1:30 pm "cruse" in order to collect her prize. I think the Optima booth is one of the best since it has Penny, "not penny" and "really not Penny" in it.

OLC has a "Not Penny" license plate, and Larry is talking about getting one that says "Really not Penny"
Out for now, Cheers, David

David,

That's great news. Congratulations on a job well done by you and Mary. When and were will the Optima Battery Challenge be?

Regards

CurtiSS 69

rsk68
04-06-2009, 08:28 AM
Congrats Mary its fun watching you out there spanking everyone and super cool to see how excited you get when you knock off another tenth.

As for myself it was the first time I had entered an event like this and I had a blast, I had crazy butterflys before my first run and then felt rather silly after as it was no big deal, my best time was 34.085 and i will blame it on a sever brake issue, at the end of each run I had to pump them back up to stop because they went away after the first turn, who makes a nice floating rear brake?

I have this one picture my Son took of me out of maybe 10 runs, did anyone else get any pictures of my car?

BLT2DRIVE
04-06-2009, 08:43 AM
Congrats Mary its fun watching you out there spanking everyone and super cool to see how excited you get when you knock off another tenth.

As for myself it was the first time I had entered an event like this and I had a blast, I had crazy butterflys before my first run and then felt rather silly after as it was no big deal, my best time was 34.085 and i will blame it on a sever brake issue, at the end of each run I had to pump them back up to stop because they went away after the first turn, who makes a nice floating rear brake?

I have this one picture my Son took of me out of maybe 10 runs, did anyone else get any pictures of my car?
It called knock-back. Check spindle nuts and re-torque, if that doesn't help the spindles maybe flexing too much, pushing the pads in.... Then you've got to upgrade.... I tossed the aftermarket ones I had on my '62 Belair and mounted C-6 spindles because of the severe flex. How many times will it bend before it breaks, like a coat hanger. ( and not be going 30 mph?)Check it out and let us know. Pushing your car at 8 or 9/10's on the track is a whole lot different dynamics then hustling it through the canyons.... Eh?

Larry Callahan
04-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Did anyone get pics or video of MotiV8r on the track? I don't have a single shot from the weekend.

Hotchkis
04-06-2009, 11:42 AM
Wow, what an event. The show was PACKED on Saturday, the Autocross drew a big (and loud) crowd of spectators watching the action, and the cars were all incredible. We're thrilled that the Good Guys crowd has gotten so enthusiastic about people driving their cars the way they were meant to be driven.

As David noted above, Mary did some incredible driving all weekend. You couldn't find a nicer, more enthusiastic and energetic couple on the planet than the Pozzis, and we were thrilled to have their car in our booth (on the rare occasion it wasn't on the auto-cross course). Congrats to Mary, and a HUGE thank you for all her enthusiasm and incredible driving.

We'll have full coverage with an article and photos up on the site (http://www.hotchkis.net/press_release.html) later today, and we should have several videos up this week. In the meantime, here are a few shots of some forum members.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/Mary02-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/Mary01-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/Penny01-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/BlueCamaro-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/GTO01-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/GTO02-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/NotPenny01-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/NotPenny02-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/redcamaro-1.jpg

JT_67Tempest
04-06-2009, 03:21 PM
This was my first time trying out the autocross and man what a blast it was!! The pictures above make me laugh because everyone looks so smooth behind the wheel and there I am with my elbow flinging out the window!! LOL!!!

But seriously after seeing all the cool car and drivers in Costa Mesa, I really wanted to get out and try my hand at the autocross. My car was such a big boat compared to all the cool Camaros and I have a lot to learn in terms of how to navigate the course, nevertheless it was fun as heck.

Thank you Mary for taking me around a couple of laps and letting me get a feel for how one should drive the course!! I appreciate all the helpful hints and tips and support. You all are a great bunch of people and I look forward to getting out there again!

Johnny

buickfunnycar.com
04-06-2009, 03:37 PM
Congrats on the big Muscle Machine of the Year finalist award Johnny,Mary says your car was stunning!

Major props for you and Driverzinc...:1st:

Nessumsar
04-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Once again, it was awesome to be out there with you guys. Good to meet more of the members also.

I hope someone got some pictures of my car, maybe the "bonsai" run right after lunch.

I will third (or fourth) that Mary and David are the nicest couple around. -The Stig- road with David for three consecutive runs, just BS'ing about 2nd gens and misc. junk.

Come on Larry! I need your autocross event, I need my fix!

streetworkxs
04-06-2009, 07:50 PM
wow

Steve1968LS2
04-06-2009, 07:52 PM
darn... I shouldve tried harder to go. People I talk to all say it was sweet. I'll make the next one for sure. How much was the cost to run your own car on the course?

The autocross is free to anyone with a car entered in the show.. so the cost is the price to attend a GG event.. I think that's $70 for the whole multi-day event.

86regalss
04-06-2009, 07:54 PM
"darn... I shouldve tried harder to go. People I talk to all say it was sweet. I'll make the next one for sure. How much was the cost to run your own car on the course?"

I need to delete my old account with the name: streetworkxs

I keep accidently logging into that one, which is why i edited my post. But next time i want to try the course, and maybe bring my car out once its done! any videos yet?

86regalss
04-06-2009, 07:55 PM
i'd probably just do a one day thing if there is one. I live really close. but I need some bigger wheels, and nicer tires before i do try autocross. 17''s hopefully.

Steve1968LS2
04-06-2009, 08:00 PM
This is the only video I've seen so far... I know David Pozzi took a bunch.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/GoodGuys-Del-Mar-Camaro_644698.htm

David Pozzi
04-06-2009, 08:16 PM
Hi guys!
Just got home and Mary is hogging my computer! Will upload some videos when she let's me back on it! :)

Hotchkis
04-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Once again, it was awesome to be out there with you guys. Good to meet more of the members also.

I hope someone got some pictures of my car, maybe the "bonsai" run right after lunch.

I will third (or fourth) that Mary and David are the nicest couple around. -The Stig- road with David for three consecutive runs, just BS'ing about 2nd gens and misc. junk.

Come on Larry! I need your autocross event, I need my fix!

Hey Jon -

I got a few of your car.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/BlueNova01-1.jpg

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/bluenova02-1.jpg

We shot about 30 hours of video on 3 cameras, including the gopro fender cam and the lipstick "in car" cam, and should have the footage edited and up this week. I'll post a link as soon as its up.

David Pozzi
04-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Here's a 29.3 second run in Bad Penny, - Mary driving.
kVb5UBoKsp8
This is James in the One Lap Camaro. This car is very close, just needs a tweak or two and it will fly.
After spending a couple of minutes under this car on the lift, I am truly amazed at how nice it is from top to bottom. This car could win trophys even flipped upside down!
Iw64HvnuvAM

If you want to have some fun, play both of these videos at the same time! :)

Chad-1stGen
04-07-2009, 08:47 AM
Cool videos :cool:

buickfunnycar.com
04-07-2009, 08:55 AM
Cool videos :cool:

X2:smoke:

James OLC
04-07-2009, 09:17 AM
So that's what 2 seconds looks like - cool!

David Pozzi
04-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Here are some still shots I took
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/davidpozzi/Autocross/Goodguys%20Del%20Mar%2009/

Or click this to see the same photos in a slide show.
http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o71/davidpozzi/Autocross/Goodguys%20Del%20Mar%2009/?albumview=slideshow

Larry Callahan
04-07-2009, 11:20 AM
We shot about 30 hours of video on 3 cameras, including the gopro fender cam and the lipstick "in car" cam, and should have the footage edited and up this week. I'll post a link as soon as its up.

Awesome! If you have any video of MotiV8r and it hits the cutting room floor I would love to have it. I didn't get a single shot or video over the weekend of it.

Steve1968LS2
04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Hey Larry.. I have some stills coming your way...

CurtiSS 69
04-07-2009, 11:27 AM
Here's a 29.3 second run in Bad Penny, - Mary driving.
kVb5UBoKsp8
This is James in the One Lap Camaro. This car is very close, just needs a tweak or two and it will fly.
After spending a couple of minutes under this car on the lift, I am truly amazed at how nice it is from top to bottom. This car could win trophys even flipped upside down!
Iw64HvnuvAM

If you want to have some fun, play both of these videos at the same time! :)

Mary is sooooooooooooooo Smooooooooooooth! I could watch that video all day.

Was that K-Wall as close as it looked to the course. It looked scary close on the far bend with that camera angle. That's something seeing cars of this caliber on course competing.

Thanks for the viewing tip of both at once. It really shows where time is lost. Super Kool!

Regards

CurtiSS 69

David Pozzi
04-07-2009, 11:31 AM
Larry,
My camera ran out of memory by the time you ran. I think I got some stills with Mary's camera but no video.
David

Larry Callahan
04-07-2009, 11:34 AM
No prob. I'll take anything you got for my photo album.

James OLC
04-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah... the concrete barriers were definately close enough to be on your mind - especially at the finish. There were a couple of close calls but nothing really dramatic (thankfully).

David Pozzi
04-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Here's a new one of Mary in her Camaro. I didn't get her fastest run.
PgDgOr-B2QE

67 ls1 vert
04-07-2009, 10:04 PM
Okay Larry, here is your very first lap.

It's the only one I took, Sorry. I do have the two in car videos for you. I have to upload them and get them on here.

Whats the best way to do that?

For those people that haven't meet Larry, he is such a cool guy.

I really want to say THANK YOU so much for the rides.
I have always been in to drag racing but, after Saturdays auto cross meet, I'm HOOKED!

All the cars out there were awesome.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/04/goodguys09006-1.jpg

James OLC
04-08-2009, 05:18 AM
Here are a couple of runs with the '67...

d8FBXJgFMtM

x8ClV9hbbD4

Larry Callahan
04-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Cool clips. Nice to see the amount of front wheel travel too.

Steve1968LS2
04-08-2009, 04:43 PM
M4sUpO80yqw

Larry Callahan
04-08-2009, 06:49 PM
Another cool angle!

67 ls1 vert
04-08-2009, 09:41 PM
Hey Steve, it looks like the rear end is shifting left and right around the corners?

Larry Callahan
04-08-2009, 09:44 PM
I think it might look that way due to the body roll and the camera stuck on the quarter panel? I think he has some footage shot of the rear end while the camera was stuck to the fuel tank. That will be cool to see.

79-TA
04-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Yea, most of that is from the body roll. You can watch the sidewall deflect a bit too, which is pretty cool.

67 ls1 vert
04-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I thought it was tire flex too but if you watch it closely you'll see the rim move side to side. It looks like.

Steve1968LS2
04-09-2009, 06:25 AM
Hey Steve, it looks like the rear end is shifting left and right around the corners?

No, that's the sidewall deflecting.. I only had 28 lbs of air in the back tires. They didn't seem to be rolling over but the video makes it look like they were. Or it's an optical illusion.

In any event, I think I will try 35lbs rear next time.

I have some cool suspension video that I will be sending to Larry so he can flip it.

Steve1968LS2
04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
I thought it was tire flex too but if you watch it closely you'll see the rim move side to side. It looks like.

Like I said, I have video under the car with the camera mounted to the fuel cell and pointed at the rear.. it doesn't move at all :)

Vegas69
04-09-2009, 06:31 AM
Has to be body roll.

David Pozzi
04-09-2009, 08:32 AM
I see the tire distorting a lot, the low pressure makes that worse. The rim just moves up and down in an arc which is normal. I think the lower rear pressure worked well in this event.
David

jb@ridetech
04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
here is a video we just finished. http://ridetechtv.com/video/8552

Larry Callahan
04-09-2009, 01:15 PM
here is a video we just finished. http://ridetechtv.com/video/8552

Cool vid!

Any chance you have any footage of MotiV8r? I showed up late and didn't run many laps and never took out my camera.

James OLC
04-09-2009, 01:22 PM
Cool vid Jason

79-TA
04-09-2009, 01:29 PM
No, that's the sidewall deflecting.. I only had 28 lbs of air in the back tires. They didn't seem to be rolling over but the video makes it look like they were. Or it's an optical illusion.

In any event, I think I will try 35lbs rear next time.

I have some cool suspension video that I will be sending to Larry so he can flip it.

Ah, that makes me wonder what my car's tire would have looked like. I ran 28 psi at Costa Mesa, but that was with an aspect ratio of 60.

Gandalf
04-09-2009, 04:08 PM
Definitely body-roll. Keep your eye on the top lip of the rim (when the peeled-over tire is not hiding it - LOL). Each time it looks like the wheel is moving in/out is when that top lip is moving up or down relative to the camera = body roll.

Awesome vid Steve - can't wait to see the tank-mounted one. That really is cool to see how much the tire deflects under load.

G.