PDA

View Full Version : Stupid welding question

JoshStratton
03-09-2005, 06:57 PM
I have a 79 Trans Am that needs some patch work. I forget what kind of MIG rod I need.

Do you use the copper colored Er70S-6 for common body panels (L-56 from Lincoln Electric)?
Also, do you use the .30" or .25" wire?

I know after 80 they had a certain level of HSS in the metal that might be degraded with a high weld temp. I wanna make sure I get the correct type and size. I think what I have in the MIG now is too heavy because it requires a lot of heat that burns right through my patch metal...I think need something thinner.

General question: Do the older cars like mine use the mild steel or the heavier steel?

Thanks!

Poopy
03-10-2005, 09:39 PM
I use .023 or .025 on a small 110v mig for body work, works great.

You dont want to use flux core though, its a little hotter and messier, its usually silver colored, you want the copper colored stuff.

vette rod
03-10-2005, 10:03 PM
As you weld the patch in tack it in a few places and move to diffrent araes to weld to keep the panel from warping. Depending on were the patch is you can also use some heat shield to keep down the warping.

Happyfunballs
03-11-2005, 06:45 AM
I use .30 in my Miller 185.

gtome
03-11-2005, 07:58 AM
I use .25 for body work. If it is a large panel, I keep a wet rag handy to quench the weld to help prevent warpage. I dont know if water is the safest thing to have around a welder though?? No problems so far.