PDA

View Full Version : 67 gto

mmag36
02-19-2009, 04:23 PM
Hey guys- I am looking for advice in regards to putting together a complete ignition/electrical system for my 67 GTO 400 motor, about 425 horses. My main concern is reliability. I plan on touring alot this summer and want the system to be "bullet-proof" Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

hectore3
02-21-2009, 04:48 AM
I would look at american auto wire.

Widetracker
02-22-2009, 05:55 PM
I'm running Pertronix on my '67 GTO with a 455- wires, coil, and ignitor II. Works well for me.

b-man
02-22-2009, 07:04 PM
A stock GM HEI distributor that been professionally rebuilt and recurved for performance would be bulletproof. Plenty good for a moderately built Pontiac 400.

Spare HEI modules are available at any parts store, carrying a spare one in your glovebox just to be prepared is a good idea.

Aftermarket ignition parts can't be found while you're out on the road in most cases.

Hard to beat OEM reliability, the HEIs were made to be good for 50,000 miles before they needed to be touched.

Widetracker
02-22-2009, 08:52 PM
Agreed, HEI is also a good affordable solution. I've got an HEI set up in my '69 and it starts every time. Only problem I've had with it is that it won't fit on Pontiacs with tri-power.

b-man
02-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Another option is a custom-built small-body HEI that uses a Ford module. OEM reliability in a smaller package, for those who like the look of a stock points distributor. Pontiac guys running Tri-Power use these all the time.

I like to run stock single-point distributors in my Pontiac V8s, either with or without an MSD6A box. The points are used to trigger the MSD and last pretty much forever since they don't have a lot of current running through them. If the MSD should ever fail, just jumper it out of the system with the MSD-supplied jumper wires and run directly off the coil.

I have run 100% stock points ignitions including the coil with no issues either, as long as everything is in good shape they're super-reliable. Even running in a stock configuration with no MSD box the points last many thousands of mile, my last set went for 30K miles and still weren't worn out.

If you buy quality points you won't have any issues with point bounce. Most Pontiac V8s don't need to turn much over 5500 RPM to get the job done. I've run mine up to 6000 RPM on occasion and haven't had them cut out on me using the points distributor.

MonzaRacer
04-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Give this guy a try, true hei and bolt in too: http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

PT Goat
04-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Another option is a custom-built small-body HEI that uses a Ford module. OEM reliability in a smaller package, for those who like the look of a stock points distributor. Pontiac guys running Tri-Power use these all the time...

This is what I'm running in the '65, built by Dave, link above. I also have a complete 6AL wired up, and just have the HEI as a backup if the MSD were to fail. I can swap from one system to the other in less than a minute. I mainly run the MSD for the rev limiter.

L n L
04-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Another vote for the Dave Ray conversion.

To add to what has already been written, you get:

- TOTALLY rebuilt distributor
- Dave will curve it to your specs, if you wish
- Every unit tested before shipment
- Lifetime (Dave's, that is) warranty

I've been using Dave for over a decade. I was a hard-core Unilite fan (the Unilite in my Cutlass is STILL working flawlessly, and I originally installed it 23 years ago), and thought he was full of S... when I first heard him talk about his conversions. To give him a test, I sent him a distributor off an International Harvester 345, to convert - I was beautiful, worked great, and overall ended up costing me LESS than it would have to rebuild/convert myself.

Good luck,
Lee Atkinson