PDA

View Full Version : Cooling ducts for front discs

Railing68
03-02-2005, 06:30 PM
I am considering making some ducts or using flexible ducting, and puting some holes in the backing plates on my front stock discs. They currently have hawk pads and are like new. I am upgrading the rear to C4 pbrs and will not be able to do anything new with the fronts for awhile due to lack of fund$. Would this be worthwhile. I have seen it done in some older magazines etc. Thanks,SS

Ripper
03-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Depends on what you use the car for? I would say for street use, it would not be necessary (but then again, 13" rotors are also too much on the street IMO). If you autocross your car/race it or whatever, go for it!
Those track days I've participated in, I've never had any problems with overheated brakes, and I actually think I could step down to 12" discs (and save some weight!) without any problems!

if you go to my website, and click on suspension & front brakes you could see the cooling. After that, click on exterior & front mods (and scroll down) and you should be able to see where I take the cooling air from.

Good luck!

homerneedspeed
03-03-2005, 07:42 PM
if you do put on cooling ducts aim them to the center of the rotor not on the face itself or they will warp because of the uneven temps.

Railing68
03-04-2005, 12:53 PM
thanks for the info, I will probably do it for this autocross season. Although it might seem kind of ghetto using stock fronts w/ hawk pads they should do the job for street and auto-x for this season. I plan on using 12x1.25 with a c-5 caliper in the future. SS

homerneedspeed
03-04-2005, 11:46 PM
if you are going to fab a bracket for the c5 brakes you might as well go for wilwood calipers. you can get forged dynalites from pitstopusa.com for 99.88 each that is what i've done for three of my cars.