PDA

View Full Version : broken reluctor wheel

TMat
12-22-2008, 07:11 AM
So I was putting the vacuum advance canister back on my MSD distributor and I broke one of the teeth off the reluctor wheel. I have a new reluctor and I knocked the roll pin out of the cam gear. The gear won't come off.

Am I doing this right?

69keith
12-22-2008, 01:47 PM
I think it must be pressed off...but be very careful and do not bust the gear.

David Pozzi
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
Sometimes the roll pin makes a burr on the shaft and makes gear removal harder but it shouldn't be too difficult to remove it.

TMat
12-23-2008, 07:00 AM
Sometimes the roll pin makes a burr on the shaft and makes gear removal harder but it shouldn't be too difficult to remove it.

so it should come off by hand? It seems to be on there pretty tight.

David Pozzi
12-23-2008, 07:20 PM
The one I changed a while back on an MSD distributor pulled off with hand pressure only. Yours might be different.
David

gggoad
12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Keep in mind the reluctor wheel has to be put on exactly in the same position. You can buy the tool but it costs about $200. I am having one done at Boyds Machine in Norman OK. They heat the crank, then press the new wheel on - costs $25, you can buy the new wheel from GM. That is the only way to fly in my opinion.

LowBuckX
12-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Keep in mind the reluctor wheel has to be put on exactly in the same position. You can buy the tool but it costs about $200. I am having one done at Boyds Machine in Norman OK. They heat the crank, then press the new wheel on - costs $25, you can buy the new wheel from GM. That is the only way to fly in my opinion.
He is talking about the pick-up reluctor on an MSD dist...

MonzaRacer
01-01-2009, 08:35 AM
If your replacing it simply use a propane torch to warm it up , careful of any plastic in the advance mechanism best to disassemble it first, then it should come off with minor difficulty, then slide a new one on, if I remember correctly its the same one as a Ford V8 available from local parts houses.
Good Luck