PDA

View Full Version : They took our garbage cans today.....

trapin
12-01-2008, 06:08 AM
The maintainance people who handle picking up the trash took away all our personal garbage cans in our cubicles, and the big cans used for food waste were replaced with wire bag holders (like you see in a hospital) because the bags for the old cans cost too much and the wire holder ones are cheaper. Also...they turned off the lights in many parts of the buildings and in the parking structures. We've also been hearing rumors that our desk phones my disappear.

By the end of the year I wouldn't be surprised to find myself having to bring in my own soap and toilet paper for the bathroom.

Steve68
12-01-2008, 06:26 AM
Watch out your desk or cube may dissapear next, bad times,

They layed off our cleaning crews,seperate contract, went from 75 people to 7, they're luck this building the VAB, dosen't house people like it did in the 60's,

SatisTraction
12-01-2008, 06:28 AM
they gotta start somehwere or by the end of the year you may have a lock on your gate.

trapin
12-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Sign of the times I guess.

MarkM66
12-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Maybe these cost cutting measures will end up saving your job.

Gotta look on the bright side.

oestek
12-01-2008, 07:17 AM
"I was told I could keep my stapler... it's a Swingline... "

trapin
12-01-2008, 07:27 AM
"I was told I could keep my stapler... it's a Swingline... "
OH NO YOU DIDN'T!!!! :lol::lmao:

Classic.

trapin
12-01-2008, 07:30 AM
Maybe these cost cutting measures will end up saving your job.

Gotta look on the bright side.
Oh I'm not complaining. I think these actions just serve as a reminder of how very real our situation is.

Kenova
12-01-2008, 07:33 AM
The maintainance people who handle picking up the trash took away all our personal garbage cans in our cubicles, and the big cans used for food waste were replaced with wire bag holders (like you see in a hospital)

They did the same thing in the Oshawa Truck Plant over the summer shutdown, and I've come close to running out of ass wipe in the washroom. At the end of the shift, most of the lights are turned off before we even get out of the plant.
Tough times. In 28 years, I've never seen the General tighten it's belt like it is now.

Ken

shmoov69
12-01-2008, 08:17 AM
This is what I don't understand. They ALREADY had the original trash cans there. They prolly had to buy the wire ones, when the others were already paid for.......yes they are cheaper, if you have to buy one. But not if you already have one!
I guess that's why I'm not in big business. I just don't understand the economics of it!!
But I guess the trash cans couldve been rented.

oldzzy
12-01-2008, 09:20 AM
I know exactly how ya feel Tony. I work in a steel plant that is laying off people and they are also trying to cut costs everywhere. Nothing like sitting in the can and someone shuts the lights off while your in there! :hand:

indyjps
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
I wnet thru the same thing at a job, the wire frame/bag. If the cleaning staff doesnt hook them in right they fall out, then its a bag on the floor, not many people would fix the bag, just throw their trash on top of the bag in a pile on the floor. I also worked in a manufacturing place. A few years back the company had used its office supply budget by Sept, no pens of pencils, bring your own, by Oct no paper, I started printing the required 4 pages shift report for my boss on the back side of old paper, when that ran out I just started turning them in double printed on the front side, he caught on. One of the older guys started writing with crayola's, he thought if he had to bring his own writing utensils he preferred crayons.
Morale wasnt too high at this place, also known as General Motors

trapin
12-01-2008, 09:42 AM
This is what I don't understand. They ALREADY had the original trash cans there. They prolly had to buy the wire ones, when the others were already paid for.......yes they are cheaper, if you have to buy one. But not if you already have one!
I guess that's why I'm not in big business. I just don't understand the economics of it!!
But I guess the trash cans couldve been rented.
The trash cans don't belong to us. They belong to the company that we contracted to handle maintainence after the International Hourly Union agreed to give up that part of the business. They save on the cost and the savings are passed down to us.

dropit69
12-01-2008, 10:08 AM
yeah we got the notice other day that they cancellled our christmas party..and we have been shutting down only running 2 weeks a month in witch if you work you get 1/3 of your full pay..or you can work for no pay..but they wont lay you off even though you would make more on unemployment..some guys can't make ends meet on 1/3 pay...gl;ad im not one of them..not looking good for the steel markets any time soon either..

Tony_SS
12-01-2008, 10:19 AM
That's how it started at my old place too. They fired the cleaning guy and we had to empty our own trash. Then they took away half our health coverage. At the Christmas party we had to all bring a plate of food and drinks. We sat around in the office and had a 'party'. That's about when I figured it was a slow sinking ship and developed a backup plan and left before it was too late.

brans72
12-01-2008, 12:14 PM
we do not get sick time starting in 09 i was like wtf is that about when my store is the back bone to the whole company

shmoov69
12-01-2008, 12:53 PM
The trash cans don't belong to us. They belong to the company that we contracted to handle maintainence after the International Hourly Union agreed to give up that part of the business. They save on the cost and the savings are passed down to us.

gotcha! Well the sereneo I stated happened to a friend of mine in a BIG food company and they took down all the "expensive" stuff that was paid for and bought new "cheap" stuff to cut costs! BRILLIANT!!!
Sorry to hear for ya Tony, and a million others. Hopefully it will stop at the trash cans and Christmas party!
You mentioned "union", how much do the "trash guys" get paid out of curioucity (sp?)?

Steve1968LS2
12-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Here's the jist...

Everytime they cut cost, and you still have a job, you should smile since they just made it easier to keep you employeed.

That's what we do. :)

oestek
12-01-2008, 02:58 PM
I heard there were some more layoffs at Source... Steve knows exactly where you're at, Tony.

Jim Nilsen
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Is anyone there talking about selling that corporate jet Big daddy Rick flew to washington in? It would seem to me that with some of the orders people are waiting to get filled for a nice jet from Gulfsteam that they would be happy to get one of those corporate jets GM has and cancel their order?

It might have helped if you could have stuffed a few of the chief executives in those cans as they went out the door.

The one thing I don't get is if the cans that left were paid for and the wire hangers had to be bought, did they actually save enough money to offset the change? Spending money to save money is a concept but rarely a reality that usually works to save a company although it can on the right scale. When the same accountants that get you in trouble start to come up with ideas to get you out , that usually fails too!

Maybe if a few of the executives were to step down and retire along with a few of them stepping up without a raise from their current salary, maybe then they could gain some trust and get the loan they are looking for? Just a thought.

I hope that cutting cost helps keep some jobs, especially yours.

The best sign on a restaurant that sucked is usually,

"UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT"

That's what the stockholders need to have put up and the next change be to take out the trash !!!:enguard:

TonyHuntimerRaceHome
12-01-2008, 05:47 PM
Yeah...Tony, you're going to have to come to work on Sunday...

Tony Huntimer
RaceHome.com

Mr.VENGEANCE
12-01-2008, 06:10 PM
you might have to pay for heat also..

might even charge you for deep breaths..

68BNUT
12-02-2008, 08:47 AM
Less trash cans means less cleaning people. I work for Verizon and theyve been turning off every other light and lengthening the times between cleanings for a couple of years now. every bathroom light is a motion sensor, They dont even run the sprinkler systems anymore. I have GPS on my van and we get reported if our vans "idle" for more than 10 minutes.

Of course I just go along with it and enjoy my job thanks to all these cost cutting efforts.

trapin
12-02-2008, 07:13 PM
I can see it now; coin operated toilets. 25 cents a flush.

shmoov69
12-02-2008, 08:44 PM
I can see it now; coin operated toilets. 25 cents a flush.
LMAO!!:rotfl:
Now that I would pay for!! I would be savin' up for that every day! With lots of bean buritos, boiled eggs and all kinds of goodies. They would think twice before trying that again! LOL!!:moon:

Kenova
12-03-2008, 07:29 AM
Now that I would pay for!! I would be savin' up for that every day! With lots of bean buritos, boiled eggs and all kinds of goodies. They would think twice before trying that again! LOL!!:moon:
While you're at it, scarf down half a jar of pickled beats to add some colour. :eek:

Ken

Tony_SS
12-03-2008, 08:23 AM

Something like that might be around .75 or 1.25, like the quarter wash. lol

bigvegan
12-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Man, I admire your dedication Tony.

But seriously, PLEASE give some thought into exploring other opportunities, as dedication and $4 will get you a cup of Starbucks these days, and even if GM does get bailed out, it's not going to be all rainbows and sunshine there for a while yet.

It's hard enough to find a new job when you've got one, finding one when you're out of work can be horrendous.

Good Luck!

Jim Nilsen
12-03-2008, 07:27 PM

1st the pay toilet ,next the timer that deducts your pay for how long your in there:seizure:

Bow Tie 67
12-03-2008, 08:44 PM
1st the pay toilet ,next the timer that deducts your pay for how long your in there:seizure:

That would drive up my car magazine costs.

68BNUT
12-04-2008, 10:58 AM
Man, I admire your dedication Tony.

But seriously, PLEASE give some thought into exploring other opportunities, as dedication and $4 will get you a cup of Starbucks these days, and even if GM does get bailed out, it's not going to be all rainbows and sunshine there for a while yet.

It's hard enough to find a new job when you've got one, finding one when you're out of work can be horrendous.

Good Luck!

Its not "dedication" that keeps people at these jobs, Its the pensions and free insurance that keeps people at these jobs. I know this.

I just hope since GM's pensions are run by the unions that there not funded with company stock?:idea:

BA.
12-04-2008, 12:12 PM
See, I don't buy that actually.

25% of corporations give pensions these days and while the insurance is good, you can get the same on the outside, or at other good corporations. (and I did price it, it's about $3300 for a single, familys a bit higher. Here in Ohio.)

I walked away from my company of 19years last March.
Got a new job with another company that has equal medical coverage, 401k and pensions too.