PDA

View Full Version : RCA plug clearence issues

WS6
11-02-2008, 01:42 PM
So I am trying to install my new Alpine HU into my 96 Formula. Alpine now has their RCA jacks on the back of the HU instead of on a pigtail coming out of the HU. Well, guess what? The RCA plugs(all 6 of them) hit my defrost duct and I can't push the radio back in all the way. I tried a 90* adapter and it won't work because of the heat sink on the back of the radio. I have no idea what else I can try so I am looking for suggestions. This really upsets me because I have been waiting years to buy another Alpine HU and I got this one by trading in my Amex points for it. It controls my iPod too. It's so awesome but it's hanging half way out my dash. The Eclipse HU I took out had pigtails and fit perfectly.

CRead01
11-02-2008, 01:50 PM
If you bring it in to some shops they can solder a pigtail in or they do make some rca's that are shorter than others.

what kind of rca's are you using?

WS6
11-02-2008, 02:35 PM
I have two different types actually. I have four that are full length and two that are shorter. The pair is a Monster Cable and I believe the RCAs to be their Stubby ones as they call them. I don't even think the stubby ones would work.

I can solder, that's not a problem. I was hoping it wouldn't resort to me having to open the HU up. Do you have a better idea to how I can solder something together? Maybe make my own plug in low profile pigtail so I don't void my warranty?

dropit69
11-02-2008, 03:56 PM
is the heat sink just screwed on to the back of the radio?..if so you might be able to remove it and enlarge the holes then use a 90..?//only idea i have..

CarlC
11-02-2008, 07:25 PM
You may want to call Alpine. They may have a solution.

WS6
11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
They don't from what I can find. The instruction manual only says the RCA interconnects are sold separately. I'll give it a try anyway as right now my only option seems to be to build something.

bbcc
11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
Audison has some of the best cables and components. I'm rocking their rca's on my truck. I have an amp mounted where the third seat used to be (extended cab s10) and these 90* (http://www.raysmith.co.uk/images/Audison/FT2500_l.jpg) where the only ones that would fit.

cheers bbcc

WS6
11-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Thanks bbcc I bet those would fit for me as well. I'll see about looking into them as I have never heard of them before.

WS6
11-05-2008, 05:40 PM
bbcc any idea if I can get these in the US? Their website doesn't say off hand. Thanks

bbcc
11-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Yup. My supplier in town gets them from the US. Don't know how many audio shops you have Athens, but if any of them carry audison amps or Hertz subs they will be able to get the cables you need.

Cheers, Ryer.

WS6
11-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks Ryer. I'll look into it.

MCOR Automotive LLC
11-12-2008, 06:20 PM
You have tons of room in the defrost ducts-they are larger than they need to be. And this may sound a little odd but believe it or not, many custom AV shops do this all the time in this new age of larger HU's and less room behind the dash.

Put a heat gun on high. Heat up the defrost ducts pretty hot (not burning though-this takes some finesse), and use the end of a 2X4 to gently push against the ducts where the RCA's are making contact. Then install 90 degree RCA's and it will go right in. We have done tons of them like this. Walk in the park...

Damon777
11-12-2008, 07:31 PM
You have tons of room in the defrost ducts-they are larger than they need to be. And this may sound a little odd but believe it or not, many custom AV shops do this all the time in this new age of larger HU's and less room behind the dash.

Put a heat gun on high. Heat up the defrost ducts pretty hot (not burning though-this takes some finesse), and use the end of a 2X4 to gently push against the ducts where the RCA's are making contact. Then install 90 degree RCA's and it will go right in. We have done tons of them like this. Walk in the park...

I was just going to suggest this.

Fesler built
11-12-2008, 07:36 PM

This is how we do it and we do a ton of stereo stuff with all the goodies in the dash. this will work perfect for you and just take your time so you dont break it, if you do most shops will just fix it with duct tape that will be up to you but have seen it done that way for years.

WS6
11-13-2008, 06:11 PM
damn guys, I didn't even think of using a heat gun. I've got a big makita one that will melt through it if I wanted. I'll go at it and see what I can do. Thanks everyone.

WS6
11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
heated and weakened the plastic and then pushed hard and get the unit in and voila, all is right with the world now. Thanks for the tips guys, I greatly appreciate it.

bbcc
11-16-2008, 03:33 PM
Right on.........pictures?? haha

WS6
11-18-2008, 10:16 AM
this is about as good as I can do for a picture.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9884