PDA

View Full Version : calling all welders.

69injun
10-05-2008, 04:30 PM
Can I weld stainless steel with my miller millermatic 175 mig welder?
If so what do I need to do. I have a spool gun and control box set up already to also do alluminum, but haven't done any reall AL welding.

hotrdblder
10-06-2008, 05:53 AM
yes you can weld stainless with mig, nothing special needed other then stainless wire in desired diameter. you do not need a spool gun for stainless welding.

Tiger
10-06-2008, 06:17 AM
I just did my header tubes with stainless wire in my mig, I actually found it easier than normal steel due to stainless being more "rubbery"

parsonsj
10-06-2008, 06:17 AM
I use tri-mix gas when I MIG stainless. 90% helium, 7.5% argon, 2.5% CO2. And you'll find you need more heat to get the same penetration.

jp

69injun
10-06-2008, 03:38 PM
Cool thanks guys. I knew I wouldn't need the spool gun but it is nice for having a small spool and not having to change everything for a different metal setup.

Thanks

Kevin

Bow Tie 67
10-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Well I just welded my fstainless exhaust with the same wire and gas I used on the body. Well see what happens, I'll do a close inspection this winter when I have the car apart for upgrades.

hotrdblder
10-06-2008, 04:26 PM
matt that will work, it just won't have the properties of a good stainless weld

Tom Vogel
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
[quote=Bow Tie 67]Well I just welded my fstainless exhaust with the same wire and gas I used on the body. Well see what happens, I'll do a close inspection this winter when I have the car apart for upgrades.[/quote
It will rust from the bead outward...sorry. Also, to get a good stainless weld, you should use LESS heat... if the weld bead is grey or brown... you got it too hot... it should be gold or rose colored or it is too hot and will loose its stainless properties in the weld bead and the heat affected zone. (Carbide percipitation)
You might want to post yopur question on the Miller Motorsports Forum (Ask Andy). Getting another proffesional viewpoint is always good.
Its good to get opinions from proffesional weldors or at least someone who has some education in the matter. Casual hobbiests who teach themselves to weld can lead you astray quickly.
Now...flame away:machine:

80proZ
10-14-2008, 05:11 PM
A good stainless weld requires more heat than carbon of the same thickness.Stainless is more heat resilant than carbon.
What parsonj stated about the gas is correct,but you can use 75/25(argon/CO2),it just burns hotter.
a good stainless weld will also contain blueing on the outer edge of the weld.Not all of us are just hobbiest.

parsonsj
10-15-2008, 05:18 AM
Also, to get a good stainless weld, you should use LESS heat... if the weld bead is grey or brown... you got it too hot... it should be gold or rose colored or it is too hot and will loose its stainless properties in the weld bead and the heat affected zone. (Carbide percipitation)I find using less heat just leaves the weld sitting on top of the base metal. It hardly welds at all. I can't say I've ever seen a MIG stainless weld that was rose or gold colored either. As an amateur welder, I always want to learn more... got any pictures of a rose or gold colored MIG ss weld? I'd love to see one, plus any ideas how to get penetration with less heat with MIG.

jp

D Impala95
10-23-2009, 06:48 PM
Heat is the key to penetration.

BossaNova
10-24-2009, 04:50 AM
Heat is the key to penetration.

That's what she said.