PDA

View Full Version : Weight of 2nd Gen main body shell???

toddshotrods
02-22-2005, 02:53 PM
I am trying to make some decisions about how far I want to go with performance on my car, and I need to get an idea of what can be done with the weight to do that. I am curious what the main body shell weighs. I mean completely stripped down - no front clip, no sub-frame, no doors, no trunk lid, no interior, etc. Just the raw sheetmetal.

I am preparing to do a custom composite front clip, and realized how much weight I removed from the car just getting the OEM clip off. Naturally, I am curious about how much weight can actually be removed with more composite bodywork now. I know there are savings to be gained with a new subframe and C5 suspension, as well as performance.

F70t/a
02-22-2005, 03:01 PM
I asked the same and people told me about 500.

F70t/a
02-22-2005, 03:31 PM
I plan to remove the rear firewall and do a bolt on alum and alot of other stuff. i took out the crash bars on my doors and they were 23 lbs each.

SHANE 73Z
02-22-2005, 05:12 PM
From one of the great 2GCOG members.

http://rcboat.com/Brian's%20stuff/camaro_database.htm

Gotta copy/paste

Shane

toddshotrods
02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Awesome guys!! Thanks a million! Ask and you shall receive huh?!?

I am actually surprised. I was expecting it to be over 1000lbs, considering the weight of the complete car. So with a serious diet one could actually build a lightweight 2nd gen.

jeffandre
02-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I plan to remove the rear firewall and do a bolt on alum and alot of other stuff. i took out the crash bars on my doors and they were 23 lbs each.

Dave,
I will look at my doors later, where are the crash bars (it might be obvious once I get my tired head out into the garage)? How did you remove them? I am going with a full cage and possibly dual side bars anyway.

F70t/a
02-24-2005, 08:31 AM
hey jeff,

They were some work to get out. I had to do some cutting and drilling. you will have to make a small patch panel after your done. I used a cut off wheel and a bry bar.

F70t/a
02-24-2005, 09:03 AM
here is a pic jeff. after looking at it. i just ended up cutting out a piece on the hinge part of the door. the other side i drilled out the spot welds. here is a pic of the bracket that i still need to finish cutting.The doors were 62 lbs and after the crash bars they were 39 lbs. so I'm happy with the weight savings. Like we were talking about a while back I might cut some of the inner door if I got lighter on the glass(have someone make me one). I will be running dual side bars also.

I dont have a pic of the crash bars. i got rid of them a while back. I saved 46 lbs, so I think thats a big plus