PDA

View Full Version : BIG-block VS. small block

thejoker21
02-20-2005, 01:27 PM
Hello. I have a question concerning my 1969 Camaro. I am building the car for road racing/street use and when I went to a local vendor to get some information on suspension and such, he told me that I was %#$!& stupid for wanting to use a big-block? Am I making a huge mistake by going with a big-block or should I stick to my guns and say screw what he thinks? The engine will have aluminum heads and other goodies to lighten it up a bit.

Todds69
02-21-2005, 11:44 AM
I say screw everyone else and run what you want. If I had the jingle I would probably run a big block as well. Although now I think a large inch SB would be just as sweet....Sleeper Style...sort of.

rancherlee
02-21-2005, 01:55 PM
all depends on how much power you are really looking for. An aluminum headed BB still isn't as light as a Iron head SB. If 450hp or less I would do an aluminum headed Small block as the wieght savings and F/R wieght bias would be alot better.

Upper Performance
02-21-2005, 08:12 PM
I think personally, I'd go small block for the reasons that rancherlee said - less weight on the nose = better weight distribution and more predictable handling.

In the end, it all comes down to what YOU want, logically, the small block can make more than enough power for the street...... But some people just like big blocks, just like some people prefer D cups to B cups ;)

MuscleRodz
02-21-2005, 09:04 PM
If you want to race it some, I would go for small "big" block. Less weight means more speeds which means quicker times. 427 in small blocks are hot right now.

Mike

Stu Seitz
02-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Big red was a big block.

zbugger
02-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Big red was a big block.
You say that like Big Red is dead.... It still is a big block. You can make a big block car handle just as well as a small block car. If you want to run the big block, just research the parts you need and do it. It can be done.

MuscleRodz
02-22-2005, 02:15 PM
Big Red also has an aluminum BB. Its a whole lot lighter than an iron BB. If you are trying to hang road race corners, I still say SB for weight reduction. It's your car, so I say do what ever makes you happy.

Mike

63SW
02-22-2005, 05:22 PM
I would say a BIG INCH sbc would be great for all the above reasons .
i know you can get the 427 , 454 and even a 472 ci small blocks .
i think Shaffirof has the 472 in a kit form if you want to build your own.

Van B
02-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Big red was a big block.

So is Charley's (Stielow built) Red Witch. All aluminum big block (540 ci ?) It's been probably 8-10 years since I've seen it (just before Charley bought it), but it made a big impression on me.

With aluminum blocks becoming more affordable, I am thinking about dumping my iron LS7 454 for an all aluminum big block.

Unless you are going to run track days and get real serious about it, you shouldn't worry about the extra weight on the nose.

Just my $.02.

Jeff

chicane67
02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Big Red also had a fair engine set back, beside it being of alloy construction........

I say a big small block.

Charley Lillard
02-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Red Witch is a aluminum 532" big block. If 95% of your driving is gonna be on the street you will get more bang for you buck with a big block. The small block car would be better on the track but really how much are you going to be on the track ? Big block torque is the most fun on the street. You can always start saving up for a smallblock to swap in on track days.

ProdigyCustoms
02-23-2005, 03:12 AM
There is no substitute for cubic inches. Besides just more cubes, there are things a small block has to work hard to overcome (working hard means $$$$) to make equal power, like heads and block strength. A factory 4 bolt, Steel crank, big block will take a ton of horsepower, where a small block will need big dollars spent on the block, or even an aftermarket block. Head design on the big block flow well north of 300CFM with even factory steel square ports, where with a small block you will need exotic stuff ($$$) if you want a lot of cubes. This coming from a guy that builds a lot of small blocks.
Take Charlie's advice. Cosidering how many killer PT cars he has / does own, he is the most qualified person on this forum to speak on the subject.

67ragtp
02-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Ive got to add my two cents here, and I agree with your mechanic. The key words in your post are road racing/street use. Before you start thinking Im small block guy, I aint, I own a 67 camaro ragtop with a 540 and as much alluminum as you can fit under the hood with the exception of the block(merlin). The thing is killer heavy. Yes, Charlie's right the torque is awesome, I still think its way to heavy up there for a good handling car, now in his case if your prepared to spend the dough for an alluminum block its another story. I think cost plays into the situation and in charlies case your at the top of the scale. There are plenty of small blocks that make killer torque especially the big inch SB's. Granted my rag top dosent have a tremendous amount of suspension mods, when the small block was in it you could really feel the difference turning the car and stopping it. It is much more powerful now but it did give up alot in the turns and stopping and can also say it took alot more suspension mods in the rear to get it to hook. And I really believe that it wasent only the result of more power but the inability to tranfer the weight to launch the car.

The coupe Im building has alot of the new suspension stuff out today, and Im thinking light over the nose with a big cube small block, maybe even an alluminum block like bill mitchells 427, 535 ftlbs at the crank isnt shabby in a package that only weighs 425lbs. Any way Im no expert and you guys here have taught me a lot, just some of my experiances and opinions. Good luck on your choice- Rich