PDA

View Full Version : Prospective Engine Build

Steve Mac
02-20-2005, 12:51 PM
First off, I just want to say that I've been browsing this site for a while, and it's one of the best on the internet.

I'm starting to put together ideas/money for a big project somewhat similar to Chris McDonald's 69 Vette. This project will be no expense spared, as I will be building my ultimate dream car. With that said, I'm 18 years old and in college, so this is going to be a long term thing.

I plan to use the car primarily as a street vehicle - sort of a grand-tourer that is great on the highway, a C6 killer everywhere else. The engine is going to be a torque-monster with a very flat curve. I'm starting to put together some prospective plans, but being (as of now) an Olds guy, I'm not up-to-date on BBC. Here's what I have so far.

454 or variant
Procharger D-1SC
Roller Cam(possibly 215-228 duration)
About 9-9.5 static CR
Aluminum Cylinder Heads
Holley Double Pumper
Hooker Sidepipes

Backed-up with a TKO600.

I know its a real thing skeleton-plan, but I've only just started thinking seriously about and plan to have at least another year before I start to put everything together. If you guys could give me any advice/recommendations (price/part compatability/manufacturers etc), I'm pretty much open to everything at this point.

thejoker21
02-20-2005, 01:31 PM
I say forget the D1SC and go to www.BBSdesigns.com (http://www.BBSdesigns.com) and check out thier turbo setups. plus, I think the compression ratio you are running is going to be too much, try for something around 8.5-8.8:1 to get the best possible rate. If you really want a torque monster, check out my 1969 Camaro buildup at www.tarrantcountycamaros.4t.com (http://www.tarrantcountycamaros.4t.com). I have a twin-turbo small block that is putting out around 1500 horses.

Steve Mac
02-20-2005, 02:07 PM
With the turbo setup, wouldn't I not be able to use the Hooker sidepipes?

I've read through a lot of the sc v. tc posts and discussion, so if I were going to supercharge the thing, I would think procharger would be the best choice.

EDIT: Since I don't exactly have a huge flow of money coming in, I would like to be able to use a stock block if possible.

ProdigyCustoms
02-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Steve, your not pulling out chain are you? First you say:
[QUOTE=Steve Mac]

I'm starting to put together ideas/money for a big project somewhat similar to Chris McDonald's 69 Vette. This project will be no expense spared, as I will be building my ultimate dream car. QUOTE]

Then 2 post later you say

"Since I don't exactly have a huge flow of money coming in, I would like to be able to use a stock block if possible."

So we are either no expense spared, or on a budget?

Steve Mac
02-21-2005, 03:18 PM
Alright, sorry for the confusion. If I could, I would use a stock block that is properly prepped and reinforced, otherwise I wouldn't have a problem using aftermarket block. I was thinking of maybe buying a short or longblock from speedomotive (or any company for that matter), ordering low-comp pistons and a special cam, and then get the blower. I don't want to be cheap with this project, but it would be nice if I could save a little money here and there (not sacrificing quality) to put it elsewhere into the car.

Anyway, I absolutely must have the Hooker sidepipes, they've been my childhood dream (as stupid as that sounds). That would rule out the turbo, I would think. I wouldn't be planning on running huge amounts of boost though, around 8-10 psi most of the time. With that being said, if I wanted to [probably hydraulic] roller cam, I would probably need the specs to be within what range? I want this thing to be a torque monster throughout the whole band, as to have great street manners.

Sorry if I'm all over the place and contradicting myself.

thejoker21
02-24-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey man, I just want to say that if you want power, here is what you do. I build race engines for a living. I have a 1969 Camaro that has a twin turbo small block 427 that puts out around 1500hp and 1300lb-ft. While this may or may not be ideal for your car, I can certainly build an engine that would be well worth your money. I built a 408 for a customer last month that utilized a stock 400 small block chevy block, Scat forged crank, Manley H-beam rods, JE 8.8:1 pistons, my "secret cam", and my custom intake that made 1050hp and 980lb.-ft on 91-octane for less than $12,000. Does this sound like something you would want to do?

Steve Mac
02-24-2005, 05:10 PM
I would love to spend 10 grand on an engine, but with my budget, even if I am holding no reserve in spending all my money, I wouldn't think thats possible because i want the best well rounded car I can make, I wouldnt think that I could spend more than 6-7grand on an engine.

Like I said, I was thinking about getting a short or long block pre-assmebled, then build the top half myself to save some money, gain experience, and be able to customize the engine to suit my taste.

I know you guys are older, much more experienced, and have a different budget then me, but I have to start somewhere. I want to do as much work on this project as possible, and being realistic about it, if I want to get this car done in 2-3 years, I have about a 12 grand budget to spend on modifications if I can get the car at a relatively good price.

kman67rsss
02-24-2005, 06:45 PM
not to shatter your dreams but 12k aint exactly a ton of money. im doing a 67 rs/ss camaro bassed more towards drag racing/street cruser and i have a mildily wild BBC that has around 7k into it. another 2500 worth of TKO 600 and associated stuff, 1400 worth of baer brakes and before ya know it your budget is gone, that doesnt take into account buying a car, paint, interior. etc.etc it always looks easier when someone else is doing it. im not trying to turn you off to your idea, but dont be upset if takes longer then you hink and costs more. i figured id have the car up and on the street by this last winter but then reality set in and it should be there within a few months. i bought the car as an early 22nd b-day present and i'll be 23 next week and in this year pluss i have learned more then i ever thought possible. a quick word of advice even though i know your too young if you are frustrated with the car walk away, have a beer or two then try it again. that has saved me many times.

Steve Mac
02-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Well I figure after buying a 15grand car, 12 grand could be distributed something like this:

2.5k transmission
2.5k suspension
1k brakes
1k interior
whatevers left for the engine, any bodywork needed

I just pulled the 12k number out of my ass, my point is it's not like I have 10s of thousands of dollars to do this project. I want to build a relatively (compared to you guys) cheap baddass Corvette.

If I wanted to build a 454 sc'ed roller motor, how exactly would I go about doing it with head choices/camshafts/etc. Being an Olds guy, I'm not exactly used to so many options on everything.

RobM
02-24-2005, 10:12 PM
how much power do you want to make? to kill c6's you dont even need forced induction. you can easily make a 550 hp big block naturaly asperated for wayyyy less then 12 grand or even 7 if your you know what your doing....and 12 grand is alot of money for a college kid and that is coming from a college kid. my advice would be to keep researching and really think about what you want performance wise before you go looking for somthing thats just cool. i know a stout well built big block with out forced induction can put out more power then most people on this board have and plety to statisfy your need for speed. i personaly in a PT car would rather spend for an all aluminum big block, FI, and a very durable motor than a supercharger.

Steve Mac
02-25-2005, 05:38 AM
Well I guess you're right with the supercharger...ideally I would like around 600hp and 650 lbft with torque across the board. I was just thinking that if I built a mild engine, an easy way to get such a boost in hp and torque would be a low-psi run supercharger. Torque is my main objective.

When building a BBC, I'm not too familiar with the manufacturers though (who makes the best what)

RobM
02-25-2005, 05:18 PM
id go to a reputable local engine builder and talk to them, they will give you the best info.

kman67rsss
02-26-2005, 03:51 PM
for 15 grand you can probally get a good running car, or save some cash and try to find a project that lost intrest. could probally save some big bucks. anyways that would probally limit spending for body work and give more for speed parts.