PDA

View Full Version : Kansas City Goodguys Autocross

DLinson
09-01-2008, 07:07 PM
I went to the Kansas City Goodguys show this past weekend and had a great time on the auto cross course. This was the first time I had autocrossed my Chevy II since I finished it. If any of you were there, I have the blue and yellow two tone 62 Chevy II.

I didn't win the free set of BFG's buy a long shot but I had lots of fun. I got to check out Air Ride's Velocity Camaro. That looks great in person. The Goodguys givaway Nova also is pretty cool. Not fond of the color but the rest of the car is super nice.

I was happy to drop my times with ever pass and I only clipped a few cones over the weekend. It probably means I wasn't driving fast enough. I gave a few friends rides in the car and they couldn't believe how much I was working just driving around that short track. My friends are all drag racing guys so that was their first trip around an autocross course. I may have converted one of my friends. Still working on the rest.

My best time was a 35.55. I was happy since it was the first time autocrossing the Chevy II and the first time in 12 years autocrossing at all.

There was a really nice Cuda that was running a 34.0. It had independent rear suspension and a new hemi. Beautiful car, he ended up getting a Goodguys Pro's Pick. Unfortunately for him, there was a Lister Kit car from the Dragon Car Company that won first in the streetmachine class with a 32.8. A Lotus 7 was in second with a 33.2. I'm not sure why those were lumped into a class with muscle cars but that's the way it goes.

As a point of reference, Kyle was fastest in the 70 Camaro test car with a 32.1. Stacy ran a best time I believe in the low 34 range with the 69 Camaro.

I learned that the my Chevy II could use a little more tweaking and the driver needs a lot more practice. The car has a few extra squeaks now as well.

Goodguys is going to expand the autocross events next year to 14. This year they had them at 9 of the events.

Looks like I may attend a few more events next year as well.

Dennis

Rhino
09-01-2008, 07:18 PM
I was there and got to see a few of your runs. The car looks and sounds killer. When you drove by on your way into the staging area the sound had a lot of people talking :)

I too thought it was a little unfair to lump the 7 and the Dragon in the same class, but there really isn't anywhere else for them.

Magntik
09-02-2008, 05:26 AM
I saw that Nova.
Sounded killer.
You looked like you had your hands full. But as many times as I watched you take on the course, figured you were having a blast.

Nice car, good job cutting the time down.:drive1:

slenning
09-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi Dennis, wish I would have got to meet you. I was the guy in the gray 69 Camaro out there. What a blast. I made one run last year and had a couple issues!! This year I think I made 16 or 17 runs. The Camaro was working real well but the driver needs more practice or something:drive2: I did manage a best of 34.85. Hope to see you there next year.

MarkM66
09-02-2008, 07:40 AM
Any pics?

Tom 72RS/SS
09-02-2008, 09:59 AM
I watched you guys run these beautiful cars around many times and as I was mesmerized by the spirited driving and how well they all handled it never occured to me to pull the video camera out and film it...I'm an idiot. Next year for sure.

DLinson
09-02-2008, 10:08 AM
No pictures. I didn't even bring a camera to the show. My wife wants to buy a small digital video camera now so we can take video of the car on the track.

I did have my hands full out there on the track. My Nova has manual steering. It uses a custom width Mustang II rack with 15:1 ratio. I actually have a few blisters on my hands from driving the autocross.

My wife watched me through most of my runs and she mentioned that a lot of people commented on the sound. Several told her that was why the even came over to watch the cars. Several also couldn't believe she would let me run the car on the course. She told them she didn't have a choice in the matter. She was real neurvous after she saw the Air Ride Chevelle clip the fence with the rear quarter. It was the light blue 66 Chevelle. He messed up the quarter, ripped off the right rear tail light section, and folded back the bumper.

Thanks for the compliments.

Dennis

Tom 72RS/SS
09-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Dang Dennis I missed that! I was parked across the main drive from the track and noticed that as the day went on, everyone seemed to drive more aggressively. Man, I could kick myself for not taking any video for you all - sorry guys.

Magntik
09-02-2008, 02:20 PM
I had my video camera, and got some footage. Only most of it is thru chain link fence.
And I got excited in some of it and the camera was pointed somewhere other then the cars, because I fogot I was taping!!

If someone can tell how to post up some video, I'd give it a try.

eric1967
09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
The autocross corse was a big improvment over last year. I think last year lap times were around 15 seconds. This year over 30 seconds. The corse was much longer this year. It was nice to see some cars I have read about on the forum in action. I was running 36.0' s. I need to do some front end work to improve the camber curve. I pretty much killed my front tires & some brake work would not hurt. Dennis your car looked good out there. Steve your car is killer.

eric1967
09-02-2008, 04:20 PM
There are some pics on air rides web site.

jb@ridetech
09-03-2008, 07:43 AM
http://www.ridetech.com/more/2008/09/02/goodguys-kansas-city-autocross/

victionone
09-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Just saw the results and Kyle Tucker beat the entire vendor class by almost two seconds! That new car sure does fly...

jb@ridetech
09-03-2008, 09:11 AM
yes it does!

hotrdblder
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Just saw the results and Kyle Tucker beat the entire vendor class by almost two seconds! That new car sure does fly...
i saw the same thing, i heard the car has nt 01 's on it which helps explain the quickness the rest of the field usually has 200 tread wear tires

slenning
09-03-2008, 11:47 AM
I was next in line when Kyle ran his quickest time. As I pulled up I told the starter it sucked to follow that!! :help: He was flying!! Kyle jumped in with me my second run and gave me some pointers. I took a full second off the next run.:twothumbs

Larry Callahan
09-03-2008, 02:31 PM
i saw the same thing, i heard the car has nt 01 's on it which helps explain the quickness the rest of the field usually has 200 tread wear tires

Someone is feeding you wrong info. Just to clarify something. The DSE car did not have the NT01 R compound tires on it during the autocross. They were removed before Kansas City and BF Goodrich KDW street tires were installed.

Now I know I want the BFG's on my car. LOL!

yellowrallys
09-03-2008, 05:21 PM
No doubt the DSE cars work very well, but both Kyle and Stacy are certainly no slouch when it come to driving.
I'm sure the DSE cars would have KDW's on them for the competitions.

hotrdblder
09-03-2008, 06:06 PM
no one is feeding me anything, i was told by someone first hand it had nt 01's on it for the challenge, i assumed it had them for the goodguys event, as they blew the field away, however the 2nd gen must have had a better tuned susp for that particular autox to smoke the field like that, congrats to dse. there is no doubt kyle can drive the tires off anything with 4 wheels, it just seems out of the ordinary for him to win by that much, its usually 2-3 tenths, so i assumed car had race tires on it, and i assumed that because I KNOW it had nt 01's on it for the challenge.man that car will be fast with good tires on it.

Bigblue73
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Regardless of the tires that Kyle was using, the run was blazing fast with my kids and I jumpinf back from the fence on the large 180 turn at the top of the course. Kyle can drive and that Camaro is set-up. Well done Kyle.

slenning
09-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Kyle did have the BFG's on the car.

Now I know I want the BFG's on my car. LOL!

Me too!!!

ProdigyCustoms
09-04-2008, 05:36 AM
Going to make that car near impossible to beat at RTHs! 2 seconds quicker might as well be 2 years on a 34 second coarse.

I hear it's got a little SB2 motor in it too. Only makes sense when there are 6 nascar teams within spitting distance of the shop. All that power probably is not hurting at all on a good size coarse!

Kyle can drive. car is obviously killer. DSE is on fire right now with this new car and the release of the Chevelle suspension also this week. I am so jealous!

Way to go guys.

Finch
09-04-2008, 05:54 AM
I would have to say that car is the one to beat for King of the Hill. Auto-x should be an easy win and with that power should be top 5 at the drags.

Very impressive stuff. Cant wait to go over it in great detail at RTTH and take lots of notes.

454bug
09-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Hey guys, who's treads do you think these look like???

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif

mpozzi
09-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Dark and not-visible.

Mary Pozzi

Magntik
09-04-2008, 07:52 AM
My best isn't much better.

454bug
09-04-2008, 07:53 AM
Hey guys, who's treads do you think these look like???

That sure looks like a "335" wide tire on the back of this car...

Looking at Nitto's website it looks like the widest tire they make in the NT01 is a "315"...

http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Ent01%2Esizes

and the NT01 doesn't show much tread pattern on the outside edge of the tire like these show...

hotrdblder
09-04-2008, 07:56 AM
lol, it was already said it had bfg kdw's on it, theres no debate, i just have not seen air ride win or dse win by more then a few tenths.
sorry for assuming

DLinson
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Stacy said that the 70 Camaro is putting out 635 hp. I believe that is at the crank. I think it is an LS engine running a carb but I may be wrong on the engine type. My Nova is a BBC and putting out about the same HP but for some reason I was 3.3 seconds slower? :pat: I suck.

Kyle is a great driver. He drove sprint cars when he was 14 years old. He started earlier than that driving carts. On the race team in college, he wouldn't talk to anyone prior to race, he was putting on his "race face".

I wish I could have had him go along with me for a lap or two but he had too many customers wanting rides.

Maybe next time.

Dennis

454bug
09-04-2008, 05:57 PM
We can't see the exactly what's below the filter...

DLinson
09-05-2008, 05:16 AM
It is definitely a carb, Kyle told me that.

showme
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
I was able to watch a few runs and I was impressed by most of the cars that competed.I was unable to play myself but might try next year.
Hats off to all of you that ran.It's nice to see em run too!:6gears:

Tom 72RS/SS
09-08-2008, 06:31 PM
One of the many cars I watched at our KC event showed up at my door...well, kinda.
I just received the Oct. issue of the Good-Guys Gazette today and there on the cover is the blue 69 Camaro doing it's thing at the Heartland Nationals. Very Cool.

Chevy
09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Anyone have a link to the overall results?

Thanks!
Paul

jb@ridetech
09-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Anyone have a link to the overall results?

Thanks!
Paul

http://www.ridetech.com/more/2008/09/02/goodguys-kansas-city-autocross/

Chevy
09-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Thanks!
paul