PDA

View Full Version : TKO-600 installed

KCTurbo
08-14-2008, 05:14 AM
I finnished installing my TKO-600 in my 65 Tempest last night and took it around the block for the first time. Everything seems fine except for a slight vibration in neutral at around 2k. Any suggestions on what to look for?

ProdigyCustoms
08-14-2008, 06:35 AM
If it did not vibrate before, Clutch / flywheel package would be the first thing I would look at.

KCTurbo
08-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Was an automatic car before. It was getting late last night when I finnished. I will start checking the obvious after work tonight.

ProdigyCustoms
08-14-2008, 07:10 AM
What engine? Internal or external balance?

gearheads78
08-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Did you have the flywheel balanced to match the flexplate it replaced? I did mine and was not expecting it to be off as much as it was.

KCTurbo
08-14-2008, 09:13 AM
400 Pontiac, internal balance, factory flywheel from another car. Luk clutch set.Very slight imbalance. You start to feel it at about 2K and by 2500 it's as bad as it gets.

ProdigyCustoms
08-14-2008, 09:28 AM
Well, I have had to blance pressure plate up to 20 grams before to get them to zero balance. never used that brand. The factory flywheel should be good though not often out very much. that is a internal balance set up, so having them checked is easy. just have the flywheel spun and checked / balanced than do it with the PP on it.

KCTurbo
08-14-2008, 09:46 AM
I realy don't want to pull that trans out again. I may see if one of the local shops can get it in.

wiedemab
08-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I put a new clutch and pressure plate in my Mustang when I put the Tremec in it. It had a vibration that I spent probably less than 50 to 100 miles trying to troubleshoot. I finally tore everything back apart. Come to find out the pressure place was like 25 grams out of balance. In that short time it had damaged my crank bearings and crank in my fresh engine. It vibrated pretty bad. I would be cautious about running it with the vibration. It proved to be a costly and time consuming ordeal for me.

Needless to say the company said - We'll send you a new pressure plate - thanks, but no thanks. I'll never buy anything from them again. Frank I'd be interested to know where the one you mention came from.

KCTurbo
08-14-2008, 10:31 AM
It is not a severe vibration more of a shudder. By the way what brand of clutch was that? This one is a LUK.

TheMonkey
08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
the term 'internal balance' on a Pontiac can be misleading...

from the factory, pontiacs came with the small counter-weight on the flywheel or flexplate. this weight is so small, sometimes people refer to this as 'internally balanced' in factory form.

however, many pontiacs when or if they were rebuilt are balanced completely neutral and require a special flywheel. IF your motor has been rebuilt you really need to ask the machinist how it was done.

400 Pontiac, internal balance, factory flywheel from another car. Luk clutch set.Very slight imbalance. You start to feel it at about 2K and by 2500 it's as bad as it gets.

sounds like you put a factory flywheel with a small counter-weight onto a motor that was balanced totally neutral.

some flywheel manufacturers, like Mcleod, sells their Pontiac flywheels with this weight on it that can be removed for neutral motors.

Scott.

wiedemab
08-14-2008, 12:24 PM
By the way what brand of clutch was that? This one is a LUK.

Spec

They were recommended by a buddy that drag raced. Live and learn, I guess.

KCTurbo
08-15-2008, 03:43 AM
I am having the trans pulled to day and having the flywheel and pressure plate checked by the same machinest that did the motor. I have to work this weekend or I would be pulling it myself.

KCTurbo
08-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Had a second set of eyes go over my install and help check for the vibration. Seems to be the trans. Lots of noise between 2nd and 3rd, and the vibration starts at about 1800rpm. Checking with Tremec later today.

TheMonkey
08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
the machinist confirmed that the motor balance & flywheel are matched okay?

KCTurbo
08-19-2008, 03:25 AM
Everything checked out no vibration without trans hooked up. Runout was .003 and smooth as could be. Should hear from Tremec today.

TheMonkey
08-20-2008, 09:05 AM
what's status?

hey... you said the vibration was there in neutral... what about if you pushed the clutch in while in neutral? did it go away?

if it remained after pushing in the clutch, then problem is in front of tranny (as Frank said: first check = pressure plate balance).

if vibration went away after pushing in clutch, then lean on Tremec.

when you ran motor without trans hooked up, and it was smooth, you did this with just the flywheel, no pressure plate?

too bad so much work to diagnose a new install. you should be tearin' it up right now....

KCTurbo
08-20-2008, 10:12 AM
Well, it was the trans. Removed trans and ran motor with bellhousing, clutch, and pressure plate, (just didn't push in clutch pedal) and smooth as can be. Swabbed a magnet through the trans fluid and picked up some shavings. Jeff at Tremec and Jim at CC5spd got me hooked up with a new one. Showed up today and should be in either late this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

KCTurbo
09-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Just an update. All is in and running fine. Haven't hammered on it yet, but feels real good. 406 Pontiac (370hp-425ft/lbs), TKO-600, and 3.90 gears. Just taking the motor up to 3K gets it moving pretty darn good.