PDA

View Full Version : swapable rear ends

vince72
02-14-2005, 01:16 PM
i looking into converting my 72camaros drum rear to a disc rear, what year trans am or other car can i use. i need all the knowledge you guys can give me, and is it really worth is
thanks for any help i may receive
vince

MrQuick
02-14-2005, 02:03 PM
Hey Vince, you don't have to swap the rears, the backing plate flange is the same for drum or disc. You can get a 93-97 GM fbody bracket and caliper or get a custom mounting plate and a GM caliper.
On the 2nd gens you will have to modify the plate to have the parking brake bracket clear your leaf springs.
Late 70's TA's had disc rears but the calipers used are prone to leaking and adjustment problems in my experience. I think you already have an 8.5 rear so your half way there.

vince72
02-14-2005, 02:28 PM
so i shoud get 93-97 caliper brakets is that right can you please go into more deatil on this it i havent done nothing like that to my car

thanks

MrQuick
02-15-2005, 08:48 PM
Hi Vince, well im not up to type tonight so heres a link to John Maloofs site, the most detail you will get for free. Just note that you may have top modify the rear braket a bit so the caliper will clear the leaf spring. let me know if you need anything eles.
http://www.geocities.com/torkerscamaro/torker.html
print it out cause geoshetties goes out sometimes.