PDA

View Full Version : Anyone running MSD 7 programmable on the street?

Procharmo
07-03-2008, 01:45 AM
I'm upping my boost and want to purchase an ignition that will give me boost mapped to ignition retard. In addition I like the traction control slew rate features listed in MSD's features. Is the MSD 7 for drag racing only or can it be used constantly, i.e. on the street.

I do not want to limit the cars flexibility. MSD also do a 6BTM with a max of 20 degs but I don't think you can program the curve like on the MSD7.... 1 deg per pounds of boost is fine at 15 lbs but not necessary at 5 lbs.

All others (Big stuff 3 , APEX 1000) seem to be tailored to turbo or NA vehicles.

Currently running MSD6 with HEI coil on Procharged SBC.

CrackedHead
07-03-2008, 12:19 PM
The digital 7 box uses a trigger to start the timer to take the timing out, ex. transbrake button, so if you used some sort of a 12 volt push button on the street you could take timing out anytime you want.

shmoov69
11-28-2008, 06:09 AM
I just bought a MSD 6530 (I think that is the #). I haven't got it running yet, but it is supposidly a 7 box made for the street with the data logging taken out too. But it has a fully programmable timing curve and can run a MAP sensor for boost retard. Also a 3 step rev limiter and some other features.

Anyone know how to set a timng curve?!??!
HELP!! LOL!

Tom Vogel
12-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I have the 7AL for my buildup... havnt installed it yet, but I purchased it for the tuneability. I dont brleive you get the slew rate 'with' the boost retard. I wish you did, as my car may have traction issues. I needed the 7AL to help fight detonation as result of boost on 91 octane streeet gas.
The people at MSD are great... call them on their tech line if you are unsure on youre application.

chicane67
12-01-2008, 08:56 PM
I have run a D7P on a few daily drivers without issue. The box isnt the issue. Its the coil selection. That alone makes or brakes this package on the street.

You will need to use an inductive pick off or a crank trigger for the timing events.

Tom Vogel
12-03-2008, 01:24 PM
[quote=Tom Vogel;464814]I have the 7AL for my buildup...

Sorry, I have the Digital 7 w/boost retart... not the 7AL.

Blown353
12-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Digital 7 with boost retard / vacuum advance function is great on the street... it's my favorite ignition option short of EFI for a blowthrough car. I'm putting a D7 #7535 in a car this week actually for a blowthrough Procharger setup.

With the blue HVC coil (#8252 or #8253) it will live just fine on the street, I have over 7 years of use including several years of daily driving on my #8252 coil. The Pro-Power coils are for short duration use only and will overheat for a street driven car.

shmoov69
12-28-2008, 05:17 PM
Ok, got my 6AL2 running today and went out and did some tuning on it today. It is pretty freaking cool! I've never had a programmable ignition (or laptop for that matter!) before, so this is cool! LOL
The EGT's are MUCH lower (about 100*+ lower) at cruise and the boost comes on ALOT quicker now that I actually have timing that is not locked at 24*! This thing might actually get a good sixty time now! Before, it wouldn't really start pulling hard till about 30' out! WHOOHOO!

Procharmo
02-20-2009, 02:32 PM
I purchased the 6BTM add on box, its supposed to give vaccum advance and boost retard, never got round to connecting it. I'm now considering the 6530 AL-2 instead, but how do you install a MAP sensor with +5v supply on a carb set up, I've only got +12. No EFI or ECU to get 5 volts from. Maybe I should ask MSD. Just wondering if anyone's done it?
Lastly is the MSD 7535 slew rate/traction control feature always on or is it triggerd per run. I would like to use it on the street.

Procharmo
02-20-2009, 04:28 PM
Dont worry, MSD 7535 only runs slew rate limiter for first 18 seconds of a run. I also think the GM or MSD MAP sensor is provided with the +5v supply from the 6530 AL-2. Once it's confirmed I'll order it!

Procharmo
02-27-2009, 10:28 AM
shmoov69, Blown 353, whist advancing and retarding with respect to initial, base and boost timing, how do you hear or feel ping/detonation with such loud engines, blowers, Turbo's and exhaust. Do you use knock sensors??? I'm now ready for a Dyno session and wanted some background info!

shmoov69
03-06-2009, 11:06 PM
Well, my car really isn't that loud. Also, I am really listening and feeling for it. By feeling I mean if it isn't pulling just right. I love the box!