PDA

View Full Version : '09 Power Tour...

trapin
06-15-2008, 01:11 PM
You people on the west coast are not going to be happy. I was at the Eyes On Design show today and found out that Stop 4 of next years tour is going to be the GM Tech Center here in Michigan. That tells me it's going to be in the mid-west again.

Cool for me though. I am going to fight like mad to get my car ready for it.

Rubes
06-15-2008, 03:44 PM
so far they announced three stops;
Madison WI
Racine WI
??
Warren MI
??
??
??

Steve1968LS2
06-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Big surprise there... not...

TonyL
06-15-2008, 04:09 PM
such utter bullcrap.

We NEED a tour on this side of the country once in a while. Every tour gets rained on, etc. It wouldn't' happen out here.

rickk
06-15-2008, 04:23 PM
such utter bullcrap.

We NEED a tour on this side of the country once in a while. Every tour gets rained on, etc. It wouldn't' happen out here.

tony your right. it is all abought the money .
rick k

Rubes
06-15-2008, 04:40 PM
:crying::crying::crying::crying: "I get to drive my car year round, but I'm gonna whine cause no one puts on a tour here"...LOL
j/k guys:poke:. Couldn't help it.

shmoov69
06-15-2008, 05:57 PM
You guys are right, it must suck not having it on the left coast....... Or the right coast........... What a horrible idea to put it in the middle! LOL! They must get a better turn out ( = $$) in the middle or it wouldn't happen IMO.

jasonsnova
06-16-2008, 03:19 AM
all i can say is.....EAST COAST.....please.......

hoosiergta
06-16-2008, 01:10 PM
I've done a leg in 03,04 and broke down 500miles away from home,and did the whole tour in '05 with the little lady. We had a blast. But I'm not doing another till they go south west to at least Texas ,north west to at least Utah or just plain west to Colorado(I can go further if I want.) We were discussing this with the former Hot Rod editor over at Carjunkietv. ( Dave Frieburger ) and he told me I've probably done my last tour then. It's because of the sponsors .

vintageracer
06-16-2008, 05:12 PM
We were discussing this with the former Hot Rod editor over at Carjunkietv. ( Dave Frieburger ) and he told me I've probably done my last tour then. It's because of the sponsors .

It may also have something to do with the fact that 80% of the population in the USA is within 500 miles (1 days drive) of Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee or Ohio making the tour MUCH more accessible to Hot Rod readers. Much better chance of getting large participation for the tour itself and greater exposure for the sponsors.

It is also much easier to have 300 mile or less driving days in the Mid-west than out west which provides more time for the afternoon cruise at each venue. More car show time equals more exposure for the sponsors. The "bitch" factor seems to increase exponentially for every 10 miles extra when the days drive is over 300 miles. 300 miles does not sound like a lot however when you are moving 1K-2K cars over the same 2 lane roads with stops for piss and gas and the time on the road really adds up fast. It really is MUCH more enjoyable when the days drive is 250 miles. That's pretty hard to only go that short distance and end up in some sort of civilzation when driving in Utah, Wyoming or Nevada.

The one consolation is that the scenery is SPECTACULAR out west!

Bill Howell
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM
I heard that the tour will end up near me, maybe not in my back yard, but within a couple hundred miles. Looks like I am in for 09. Now, just need to finish the charger.

Rubes
06-16-2008, 06:02 PM
I would have thought Route66 raceway would be day three, but that is too close to Racine and too far from Warren.

I guess I better get busy...what would take most of you a few weekends will take me that long...LOL

vintageracer
06-17-2008, 05:35 AM
Could it end in Nashville Again????

BonzoHansen
06-17-2008, 10:41 AM
The great lakes to Howell's garage - I am intrigued.....

Rubes
06-17-2008, 11:01 AM
The great lakes to Howell's garage - I am intrigued.....
hahaha...wouldn't be surprised if media whore land barron Howell had it at his "Estate"...LOL

4086D9
06-17-2008, 12:33 PM
This sucks...guess I will never get to do a PT.....:dunno:

Denvervet
06-17-2008, 12:50 PM
No whinning....trailer your car from the west coast or just drive it to the tour.Or...or start a new tour.Hmmm

vintageracer
06-17-2008, 01:14 PM
No whinning....trailer your car from the west coast or just drive it to the tour.Or...or start a new tour.Hmmm

It can be done. this is exactly what Charlie does EVERY year!

SaturnVUEguy
06-17-2008, 01:24 PM
Hmm, I may make a trip up to Racine next year to check out the cars. My car is far from a Power Tour car

4086D9
06-17-2008, 01:58 PM
It can be done. this is exactly what Charlie does EVERY year!

I think Charlie makes a "touch" more money than the average guy.....

vintageracer
06-17-2008, 02:08 PM
I think Charlie makes a "touch" more money than the average guy.....

Details, Details!!!

Nine Ball
06-17-2008, 03:50 PM
One of my moderators at LS1TECH.com did the long haul this year, he drove from Ventura, CA and did the long haul with us, and drove back.

I hope the tour goes back to either Nashville or Memphis, both are fun cities to booze it up in.

Larry Callahan
06-17-2008, 03:56 PM
Wow! Ventura! That's like 15 miles from me. That was a LONG haul.

JMarsa
06-17-2008, 05:50 PM
You people on the west coast are not going to be happy. I was at the Eyes On Design show today and found out that Stop 4 of next years tour is going to be the GM Tech Center here in Michigan. That tells me it's going to be in the mid-west again.

Cool for me though. I am going to fight like mad to get my car ready for it.

I'll be it has somethiong to do with a certain 2010 Chevrolet model. :dunno:

--JMarsa

Never Enough
06-18-2008, 07:33 AM
You people on the west coast are not going to be happy. I was at the Eyes On Design show today and found out that Stop 4 of next years tour is going to be the GM Tech Center here in Michigan. That tells me it's going to be in the mid-west again.Sounds good to me.

trapin
06-19-2008, 04:22 AM

--JMarsa
You know...just yesterday I heard something about that.

WILWAXU
06-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Wow! Ventura! That's like 15 miles from me. That was a LONG haul.Only 1,725 miles just to get to the start in LR... ;)

You could have rode along with me, I had 3 empty seats in the TBSS :D

Even with all the mileage, it was WELL worth the trip. Absolute BLAST!

shmoov69
06-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Here is a video interview of my wife and kid on the Power Tour this year. Just thought ya' might like to see!
http://www.hotrod.com/2008powertour/hrdp_2008_day3_coverage/index.html
Click on the What'cha drivin' girl with the old Ford. She is the last one on the video.

Oh, and Hot Rod took about 50 or so pics of the wagon in MN (I think) to do a possible feature!! TOO FREAKIN' COOL!!! LOL!

Van B
06-23-2008, 08:51 PM
Place my bet for Kalamazoo to fill in the gap between Racine and Warren, MI.

jknight16
06-24-2008, 08:34 AM

--JMarsa

You guys thinking C7 Vette? Camaro Vert? Volt?

WILWAXU
06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
My guess would be Camaro, it goes to market as a 2010 model around February next year. Already announced a the SEMA car for this year.

BonzoHansen
06-25-2008, 10:24 AM
The GM & Tennesse stops have us giving this serious consideration...time to get the car watertight, lol.

Settlemire told us Saturday night the Camaro will start hitting showrooms in Feb 09. They shoud be readily available by late spring. Test cars hit the road late 08, IIRC.

Yelcamino
06-25-2008, 11:46 AM
such utter bullcrap.

What about the Car Craft "Anti-Tour?" I thought they usually did that in the SoCal area.

BuddyP
06-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Awsome! It went through my backyard last year and missed it... this'll give me another shot at checking out one of the stops. Too bad my car is years from being finished :(

Pro-touring towncar
07-16-2008, 07:23 PM
Wasn't expecting much from the trailer tour management they cannot run the cars more then 300 miles at a time. Figures they would keep in the east. They are afraid the cars may not make it over the rockies.

Tim

The Enemy
07-28-2008, 11:59 PM
i was sopposed to go long haul this year, but due to switching jobs, kinda lost out on that. Went in 02 and 04, but long hauling in 09, i dont care if i have to rent a friggin Focus!

ok, so i'll rock out in one of my Tbirds, or the S10, or one of my F150's, most likely...

ssdeuce
10-25-2008, 08:30 AM
I saw in the latest Hot Rod mag that it ends in Bristol, TN. So for me I'm :headbang: :jump:

fairlane347
10-27-2008, 09:39 AM
I am hopen' to make a few leg this time, since the first two are in my area!! I want to try to go to the fourth stop, if money allows. Most likely rolling in the Marauder!

gearbanger
11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
Man I can not believe I just found out that tour is going to make a stop in my little town of Somerset Kentucky!!! WHOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!

I am definitely going to do the leg from Somerset to Bristol. I may try to get up to Dayton, OH and cruise south with them too.

WOOOOOOOOHOOOO!!!

63SW
11-04-2008, 04:07 PM
Just checked out the info on the tour...
IT STOPS IN SOUTH BEND ,IN ....just 10 minutes away from me !!!!!!!
I CANT WAIT ...We're probably going to do a couple legs of it ...
Not sure what car yet , But i will probably have my BLOWN 72 camaro there and my 67 Nova Gasser at the fair grounds.

Sparky67
11-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Here is the latest on the Hot Rod Power Tour Stops for 2009. http://www.familyevents.com/page/powertourhotels

June 6 Madison, WI Alliant Energy Center
June 7 Racine, WI Downtown Lakefront
June 8 South Bend, IN St. Joseph County Fairgrounds
June 9 Warren, MI (Detroit) General Motors Technical Center
June 10 Dayton, OH University of Dayton Arena
June 11 Somerset, KY The Center for Rural Developement
June 12 Bristol, TN Bristol Motor Speedway
June 13 Bristol, TN Bristol Motor Speedway (Long Hauler Awards)

I plan to have my 1967 RS Camaro to do part of the tour, and several of my friends from Dayton will be at the event too.

Jeff

http://www.kodakgallery.com/67rscamaro

SUNK69
11-09-2008, 05:44 PM
I booked my rooms at Hampton inn Somerset KY. and Bristol TN.

bnickel
11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
well i hope they at least come a little closer to Texas next year, i'm not going on another power tour until it gets within a couple hundred miles of me, i've been to 2 so far (the last 2 that have gone through west Texas) and would like to at least get to drive my car on one of them since it was not finished for the last 2. now that i've finished the car it probably won't come to Texas ever again......just my luck.

if the tour doesn't come through Texas again then i will probably not do another one again, then. i mean we have 2 or 3 of the largest cities in the US for pete's sake, you would think there would be enough support

ssdeuce
11-23-2008, 06:40 AM
I registered for the long haul last night. I can’t wait it will be my first power tour. :headbang:
If anybody is going up from TN or KY maybe we can get a group together.

Young Gun
12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
I wont be doing it this year but my dad and I will be doing it in 2010! I am looking forward to it!

GBodyGMachine
12-10-2008, 08:43 AM
See you guys in MI

k wright
12-10-2008, 09:40 AM
See you guys on Bristol in the Ultima GTR.

There are some great extreme twisty roads here if anyone is intersted, 45 minutes away from the track.

Hopefully Jeff Schwartz will be on the tour again in his Ultima.

Ken Wright

mburrow
12-12-2008, 07:30 AM
I am from Waco, Tx. and have done the long haul 3,500 miles 4,900 miles 3,500 miles and 3,500 miles. NO TRAILERS The only problem I ever had was shifter came apart after I had my 5 speed put in(no lock washers), next year in Florida my wiper motor went out(thank goodness for RainX. Last 2 years NO PROBLEMS
I have a Hugger Orange 70 w/black stripes and have been blessed to display with Stainless Steel Brakes and Tremec Transmissions and Kiesler Engineering in the past.
Hope to see you all out there. Be blessed in all you do, mburrow

Bjkadron
12-30-2008, 07:49 AM
Hey Ken... Just wondering but when you said "great extreme twisty roads" were you by chance referring to the "dragon"?

wicked68
01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
see you all in dayton!

PT Sportwagon
02-16-2009, 11:41 AM
What ever happened to the coast to coast Power tour?

Tim

vintageracer
02-16-2009, 11:58 AM
The coast to coast PT died over 10 years ago. They had about 10 long haulers the first year. Participation grew exponentially with long haulers when they made the event more regional.

PT Sportwagon
02-16-2009, 07:36 PM
Looks like they can't drive their cars coast to coast. that would be a real long haul. anyone can drive their car 300 miles a day and live. try a longer haul, to weed out the wannabes

Tim

DaSouthWon
03-05-2009, 03:26 AM
Has anyone considered ganging up on a hotel in each city for a group rate, I'm pretty sure there are enough people here going to at least fill a floor or two of each one. I usually aim for the Hampton Inns.

martZ
03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Has anyone considered ganging up on a hotel in each city for a group rate, I'm pretty sure there are enough people here going to at least fill a floor or two of each one. I usually aim for the Hampton Inns.

If you book through Hot Rod (Family Events), they have rooms reserved at various hotels.

zman1969
03-06-2009, 04:50 PM
Looks like they can't drive their cars coast to coast. that would be a real long haul. anyone can drive their car 300 miles a day and live. try a longer haul, to weed out the wannabes

Tim
really! back when they started these they went San Berdoo to Panama City fl and they had a lot less long haulers and that really was a LONG hauler but they shortened them up and got a lot more participation. sure wish the would go back to CA again Id love to do that trip- guess i never will....

BA.
06-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Anyone got any advice about how to attend/prepare to attend one of these stops?? I mean,....how early to get there ahead of the posse, is a grill and a cooler going to be ok, a 10x10 tent/cover, etc.
I think the Tour will arrive here in Dayton around 1pm-ish or just after. I just don't really know what to expect other than a ****-ton of bitchin cars. :)

Charley Lillard
06-03-2009, 07:46 PM
They usually don't open the gate before noon. Cooler should be OK but not sure about a grill. Check to see if where you are going is a park with grass or pavement. Hard to do a tent on pavement. You will be too busy wandering around to sit under the tent though. it will be fun.

BonzoHansen
06-03-2009, 07:53 PM
Anyone got any advice about how to attend/prepare to attend one of these stops?? I mean,....how early to get there ahead of the posse, is a grill and a cooler going to be ok, a 10x10 tent/cover, etc.
I think the Tour will arrive here in Dayton around 1pm-ish or just after. I just don't really know what to expect other than a ****-ton of bitchin cars. :)

A cooler is fine. A camera is a must, as are good walking shoes. If you sit behind your car you miss the fun of it all.

wicked68
06-04-2009, 04:57 AM

this would be a great idea and in fact chipping in to rent a guard would be good as well - you can probably get an overnight guy for 20 per hour to stand watch over a group of cars so for 200$ split between 20 cars - would be 10$ to make sure you had secured parking overnight.

parking is not even this expensive in major downtowns - well worth it if you ask me. I would be willing to chip in on this to be able to not sleep in my trailer

Charley Lillard
06-04-2009, 05:30 AM
Hotels are booked solid and early so getting a group discount would be difficult. A couple years ago someone in our group put together a deal where we had security at our Hotel but it wasn't really needed.

Van B
06-04-2009, 06:00 AM
this would be a great idea and in fact chipping in to rent a guard would be good as well - you can probably get an overnight guy for 20 per hour to stand watch over a group of cars so for 200$ split between 20 cars - would be 10$ to make sure you had secured parking overnight.

parking is not even this expensive in major downtowns - well worth it if you ask me. I would be willing to chip in on this to be able to not sleep in my trailer

Just a heads up. I am not sure what kind of trailer you are talking about, but if you are trailering your car and not driving it people are going to give you a lot of crap.

Charley Lillard
06-04-2009, 07:01 AM
The way I read it in another thread he is driving his car and the trailer is a secure parking place at night.

wicked68
06-04-2009, 08:17 AM
The way I read it in another thread he is driving his car and the trailer is a secure parking place at night.

that is correct.

we are trailering it up to ohiho and driving it from there on the tour.

bonecrrusher
06-04-2009, 11:26 AM
I'm leaving from Charlotte NC tomorrow @ 5am.

If you see this...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/brakes8-1.jpg

with NC tags, thats me.... the Zr1 repo's and z06 brakes should set it apart :)

Charley Lillard
06-04-2009, 12:08 PM
I'll be in this...

Jon69RagTop
06-04-2009, 02:28 PM
I'll be sure to introduce myself. :cheers:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2009/06/Poster-1.jpg

Jonathan

Neil B
06-04-2009, 02:54 PM
I'll be in this (Florida plates)...

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/04/Crude-1.jpg

jackreggers
06-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Just found out I have to be in Montgomery next week for business - so I figured it's a good excuse to take the 69 and the slide into the PowerTour after that. Plan is to leave Montgomery early Thursday AM and hit Somerset (London Holiday Inn), then Bristol (Bristol Holiday Inn) and back home.

Magntik
06-04-2009, 04:32 PM

I'll be in my junk!!
Going the whole way, hopefully being followed by my buddy and his Bright yellow '80 Camaro.

We are headed up to Madison early Saturday morning, we are only about 3.5 hours out.
So we should have plenty to walk around and hopefully meet some people!!

Bjkadron
06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
I don't think I'll be able to make it. Sadly... My car isn't ready and I don't have a ride. Anyone coming past knoxville/maynardville/Tazewell(new Tazewell) TN?

Bow Tie 67
06-05-2009, 09:08 AM

Was it 2 or 3 years ago we had thieves hit a hotel at the year one event. They took the truck, trailer and car all together.

I'm heading up Saturday morning, and doing the long haul. I have been to busy to get pics of the car. It's Semi-gloss black primer, with a big dent in the passenger quarter panel.

wicked68
06-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Was it 2 or 3 years ago we had thieves hit a hotel at the year one event. They took the truck, trailer and car all together.

I'm heading up Saturday morning, and doing the long haul. I have been to busy to get pics of the car. It's Semi-gloss black primer, with a big dent in the passenger quarter panel.

that is correct - can you imagine the surpise of opening a trailer after you have stolen it with some really pissed off car owner slinging 40 cal and 223 lead at you and he had called 911 and there is a line of cops following you. probably best to run to the cops and beg them to protect you at that point. lol

not a good way to start your car jacking morning off

69stang
06-10-2009, 06:46 AM
Anybody know about what time activities start once they get to their detination? The tour is supposed to be at UD arena in Dayton today & I'd like to run over there and check it out though its raining today.

wicked68
06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
anyone want to do dinner tomorrow night in somerset?

KEISLER
08-13-2009, 12:06 PM
I had a great time on this years tour. I worked on my car a LOT, as it had only 190miles when we started at Madison. Mostly shaking out the bugs, things coming loose, etc.

Racine was beautiful, but like a dustbowl on the lake. At least it wasn't cold and wet like Madison.

Going to South Bend was fun - Charles Kwas was racing me in his '68 Corvette 383 with our 5-speed. I was streaming the video live back to the company so they could check it out real time. We also did the Hot Rod photo and driving shoot with David Freiburger that stop.

Detroit Metro Park was fun once I drove through 2 hours of miserable Detroit traffic. Hot Rod magazine's publisher group had a BBQ-beer, and it was good eating and talking. Vic Edelbrock and his daughter (sorry I can't remember her name at the moment) were there. I got a speeding ticket as I was leaving the park. Fortunately the judge cut me a little slack and reduced the fine to just $120.

Most fun stop was Dayton - nice day, lots of our customers cars at our booth & lots of videos of them including Dave and Anthony's '69 Chevelle mega block doing a mega burnout. Got to hang out with a 2nd owner of a real '70 Hemicuda 4-speed Dana car. He's had the car since the mid 70s. Steve Allan has his way cool '78 Corvette with his incredible hand painted flames with a skull on the hood. Hadn't seen any flames that cool since Ian Zierring's Overhaulin' '68 Camaro.

Somerset was a washout - by the time I was getting close it was raining so hard that I kept on going towards Bristol, and made a pitstop at my shop to work on the Kuda some more, but on a lift!

Bristol was fun at the Racetrack - I did a few exhibition passes to try and work out some details on a new calibration. Got a 3 angle video of the Kuda going down the track (see it on the A-41 install video on www.keislertv.com (http://www.keislertv.com))

Looking forward to next year!

Shafi Keisler