PDA

View Full Version : Do Howe tall tie rod ends need longer tie rod sleeves?

Motown 454
05-28-2008, 04:14 PM
I just bought tall tie rod ends to eliminate bump steer for my 69 Camaro. Do I need longer sleeves to install them or will the factory moog sleeves work? Need help soon. Thanks in advance Wayne

hotrodf1
05-30-2008, 08:08 AM
The tall ball joints that came with my Stage1+ kit had what looked to be some short length of heater hose to take up the extra distance. I think they were somewhere around 1 1/4"long or so. But I think the dustboots were just normal sized ones.

Hope that helps.

Marcus SC&C
05-30-2008, 02:53 PM
I answered this in a PM but I`ll answer it here too for everyone else. Our tall tie rod ends for 1st Gens correct most of the factory bumpsteer by vertically relocating the pivot points of the outter tie rod ends. They`re great pieces,strong,very smooth and greasable but they only come in one length, short ,so they need longer than factory tie rod adj. sleeves. GM in a fit of brillance saw fit to make several different length tie rod ends for 1st Gens of different years,makes and models. I`ve seen so many of thse cars with once configuration on one side and a different one on the other or the wrong year tie rod ends on both sides that we`re just not comfortable shipping fixes length sleeves with each kit. Instead we include simple directiosn to measure and order adj. sleevs the proper length for your car. It`s easy,they`re inexpensive (about $10ea.) and you`ll know they`re the correct length and that you have plenty of thread engagement for safety and strength. Mark SC&C

Motown 454
05-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Thanks Marcus You already got to me quick through PM with my answer. If the tie rods were shiped here I would have seen the directions, but they went straight to Mike's shop. Sorry if it caused you any problems. Thanks for all the great info.
Wayne