PDA

View Full Version : tires scrubbing in front.

70ssnova
05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I have a 1970 nova with the dse front coil over and uca and lca on it, with wilwood 13" rotor with 6 piston cal. I am still in mock up stage. but it looks like I will have tire scubbing with inner fender and fender lip. i am running 18 x 8 with 4 7/8 bs. wheels are Fiske profile 5s tires are mich. ps2 245/40 18 . Is there any way to narrowthe track width with a different spindle set up or brake combo. or any info on how to fix this problem. I would like to have the tire up in the fender well some for that awsome stance. Dose ther afx spindle narrow the track width any? I did a search and came up short .

jerome
05-26-2008, 08:09 PM
How close is it? Will you be on bags?

Make sure you are mocking up at ride height, and align for .5 to 1 degree of negative camber and that will bring in the tops of the tires a little if you aren't there already. If you are on bags, then airing out will bring the tops of the tires in, gaining negative camber and that can help you tuck too...

if the above isn't the case...then you're kinda screwed and you need new wheels...or you have to deal with the stance that it has now.

Jerome

Edit: Different brakes could gain you 1/2 an inch...althought that would probalby mean going to drum brakes or thinner disks or something of similar performance loss

70ssnova
05-27-2008, 04:06 AM
not on bags. it will be riding on coil overs. right now u can barely get your fingers in between the tire and fender, and when you turn wheel left or right the tire hits the fender about a 1/3 into the turn. I am probly going to have to raise the car up a little. it should still have a good stance. thanks for your info Jerome

Allen

silver69camaro
05-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Fikse can adjust the backspace on those wheels pretty easy. That would be the correct way to fix the problem.

70ssnova
05-27-2008, 06:54 PM
if I put the wheel back spacing any deeper the center of wheel will be almost out of the rim. then it would look like a front wheel drive. I need to raise the front up a little to clear the tires.

MarkM66
05-28-2008, 03:43 AM
Your wheel and bs is right.

You're either going to have to raise the car, or live with tire rubbing.

silver69camaro
05-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Your wheel and bs is right.

Well, if it rubs, it isn't right. There is no vehicle-specific backspace...

4-7/8" backspace isn't much on a 8" rim. I have 5-3/8" on mine and there is still some lip left. 6" is quite a bit for a 8" rim, but you wont be even close to that.

72novadriver
05-28-2008, 08:10 AM
I had a the exact same setup as you on my Nova, and i was using a 17x8" rim with a 245/45 tire with 5.5" of bs anything less the tire would rub the fender. Now with fikse wheels i have 5.625" bs on 18x8.5. Hope this helps

Billy

parsonsj
05-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Backspacing is a good thing. More is usually better, especially up front. It will reduce your scrub radius. II Much has 7 3/8 bs on a 9 inch rim.

jp

MarkM66
05-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Well, if it rubs, it isn't right. There is no vehicle-specific backspace...

4-7/8" backspace isn't much on a 8" rim. I have 5-3/8" on mine and there is still some lip left. 6" is quite a bit for a 8" rim, but you wont be even close to that.

Can't have everything. Anymore and it'll start to rub the frame at full lock and effect turning radius. Actually, it will rub the frame some now.

70ssnova
05-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Hey guys

Right now no rubbing on frame just in fender. The bump stops on lca stop it way before it hits the frame. I gave fiske the measurments and brake kit info that I would be using and even sent them a copy of the instructions which has the amount of space required for clearance of brakes and caliper. but here is a picture of the front wheels so ya'll can see what I am talking about running out of rim lip if I get any more bs.

Thanks Allen

Beige
05-28-2008, 07:33 PM
How about modifying the fender?
Or would you have to mangle the sheetmetal too much?

parsonsj
05-28-2008, 09:18 PM
ya'll can see what I am talking about running out of rim lip if I get any more bs.The question is: will more bs fix your rubbing problem? If so, who cares about the visibility of rim lip? Why wouldn't you fix the wheel if it solves the problem? Surely the stance is more important than the visibility of rim lip.

Now if more bs won't fix the problem, then ignore my argument.

Here's a pic of my front wheel:

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/0505phr_susp_14_z-1.jpg

jp

MarkM66
05-29-2008, 04:45 AM
Do you have any pics with the fenders on? When and where the tire hits the frame?

Sometimes a little adjustment in alignment can change things too.

70ssnova
05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Right now I don't have any pics of the wheel in the fender or where it is rubbing. check with Fiske and they said that the rim halfs were 275 each. Talked with Wilwood also and they said the brake kit would only offset the wheel 1/8" per side. not much at all. I need to get the front aligned to see where I really stand at. Thanks for all the input guys this is a great forum.

Apogee
05-30-2008, 05:54 AM
+1/8" or -1/8"...and is that over an OE disc setup or drum?

Tobin
KORE3

70ssnova
06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
they said on a disc spind it would bring it (in a 1/8".) It would be narrower then stock.

Norm Peterson
06-03-2008, 03:48 AM
if I put the wheel back spacing any deeper the center of wheel will be almost out of the rim. then it would look like a front wheel drive.
Or an S197 Mustang. The OE 17 x 8 wheels on that car run +45mm offset / 6.295" backspacing, the 18 x 8.5's are +50 / 6.82", and the 18 x 9.5's are +45 / 7.125". Nobody seems to be accusing them of looking FWD-ish. I suspect that the C5/C6 wheel dimensions put the centers in proportionately similar locations as well.

If anything, greater backspacing/more positive offset is a more current look, and is arguably a better situation for the small outer wheel bearing. Might be a little better for aero, don't know about rotor cooling.

On further thought, FWD cars are probably forced into large +offset wheels as being the best overall compromise just to get things to fit. As opposed to forcing adverse changes on suspension geometry, drive axle half-shaft lengths, vehicle width (and weight) or styling (i.e. requiring huge flares or even larger wheel openings or openings of possibly odd shape).

Norm

DarkoNova
06-03-2008, 03:49 PM
I had the same problem with my 69 Nova since I just put 18's on. I think the fronts are 18x8 with like 6" of backspacing. I just cut out massive pieces of the inner fender (I'd say about a 4" by 7" rectangle on the driver's side). I really didn't want to but now it's perfect. It only rubs at full lock if I'm going through a dip or over a speed bump, and even then it only barely rubs, so I'm fine with it.

If you have to cut a piece of the fender, it's no big deal. I was hesitant at first, but it's on the side closer to the fender, so when you pop the hood you don't see anything missing. I took out a big enough piece so that there's no chance of the tire hitting the cut edge and doing more damage.

Matt