PDA

View Full Version : biggest tire for new Heidt's four link camaro firebird

opnwide
05-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I just saw the new 4 link from Heidt's for the gen 2 camaro/firebird. I have a minitubbed '76, and am looking for suspension options. I just ordered DSEs leafspring kit with 3" drop, but this looks interesting. So my problem: Right now until May 31, the Heidt's kit is only $899.

It appears as though the design, however, may hamper my efforts of getting a 335 under the rear fender. It uses the stock spring pocket for the lower link, but worse-- the upper link has its forward mount on the OUTSIDE of the frame rail. Maybe it can be relocated to the inside of the frame rail with a little MIG action.
Has anyone seen one of these yet? What size tire can be run?

Should I stick with my DSE kit? Yes, the airbar/g-bar set up is the preferred setup, but $2000? C'mon...

zbugger
05-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Personally, I'd stick with the DSE kit. Leaf springs can do very well for themselves. If you want to know what to run with the Heidt's setup, I'd call them. I don't know of anyone running that one yet.

Lowend
05-25-2008, 05:37 AM
4-links are awful for turning corners. The Heidt's kit has a huge amount of bind designed into it (LCA's are too short).
Stay with the leafsprings.

ProdigyCustoms
05-25-2008, 06:20 AM
We were looking at the system at Hot Rods and Restoration, Seems like it might go through some radiacal pinion angle changes. Just a assumption, I would like to have run it through it motion.

Lowend
05-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Eh - I saw the calculations on the 4-link in the Gulf Camaro a few years ago. The LCA's need to be over 40" long to avoid bind. In the Gulf it interferes with the mounting of the front seat.