PDA

View Full Version : What full suspension works the best?

robs68
05-18-2008, 08:09 PM
I have a 68' camaro-ls3/t56-don't really want air bags-lot a diff. companys out there-what works the best?I would like car to handle like a new camaro- new motor dyno 584 rwh-car is true rs/ss do not want to cut up the car.Sorry-I did put dse mini tubs in-looked easy on paper-lot of work -Any input would be great,-Thanks-Robert-

ProdigyCustoms
05-19-2008, 04:50 AM
Probably the ulitmate Air bag suspensions set up is going to be a Art Morrison Air Spring front clip. In the rear eith the Air Ride Air Bar or Chris Alstons new G Bar with the air spring option

robs68
05-19-2008, 08:06 AM
What would be your next choice without airbags-I don't want to fill trunk up with compressor/tanks? thanks-Robert

Fesler built
05-19-2008, 08:39 AM
We airbag everything and they ride perfect just as good as a new car. You only have to use up about 20% of your trunk not bad at all and the car will handle great 10times better than what you have now.

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/Img0036-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/Merc2-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/03/Img0003-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/Img0139-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/Img0213-1.jpg
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/Img0009-1.jpg

ProdigyCustoms
05-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, if your wanting the best then your choices would be either Art Morrison or DSE Subframe, and either Chris Alton G bar or DSE Quadralink rear.

We have 5 different suspension companies we sell. Your welcome to call me and we can discuss your project, budget, requirements, goals, and dreams.

Frank

four zero seven 832 1752

chicane67
05-19-2008, 07:12 PM
I have a 68' camaro-ls3/t56-don't really want air bags-lot a diff. companys out there-what works the best?

One question Robert... "Works the best"... for what application exactly ?? Are we talking about a cruiser, some track time (and if so what kind of track time) or a combination there of ??

I am more than a little un-impressed with the whole idea of bags being the answer for 'all' applications... because logic, common sense and originality dictate so. Then again... Im not trying to sell you anything either... Im just trying to answer your question without the hook and bait.

robs68
05-20-2008, 05:05 AM
I would like the car to handle good on the street and be adjustable, 1 to 2" lower stance than stock-not interested in the slammed look.Really don"t want to redo suspension 2 or10 times.I've called around to 3 of the major perfomance suspension fab places they all say theirs is the best.trying to get some opinons from someone that has tried different setups-best for the money.-Robert.

TitoJones
05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
Do you want to keep the stock frame, or replace it? Are you willing to cut and weld? What is the budget for the front end?

I can recommend all sorts of stuff from an upgraded factory sub to the best aftermarket frame out there, just need to know a bit more.

Here are a few setups that work fairly well on the street-
Option #1
Factory frame
Guldstrand mod
SPC upper control arms
Factory lower control arms with Del-a-lum bushings
Afco modified spring buckets
550 pound springs
Bilstien shocks
Solid body bushings
ATS 670 steering box
All new Moog steering linkage
Hotchkis sway bar

Option # 2

Factory frame
Tall AFX spindle
Chicane-LM weld in coil over kit
Bilstien coil over with Hyperco springs
Global West Tublular lower control arm
SPC upper control arm
Hotchkis 1-1/8" sway bar
ATS 670 steering box
Moog inner tie rods, pitman and idler arm
Baer bumpsteer outer tie rods/sleeves
Solid body bushings

Option #3

Front sub frame by Jake's Rod Shop
C6 Corvette based arms and spindle
Optimized geometry for road racing
Bilstien coil overs
solid body bushings

Option #4

AME G max full framed chassis (requires lots of fab work)

Any of this helping? My advice is to steer clear of the street rod companies that are trying to re-brand themselves as a Pro-Touring company, as they don't really understand what they are attempting to do, or why what they have done is incorrect.

Tyler

robs68
05-20-2008, 02:01 PM
I have decided to get the morrison c5 subframe with airbags and the g bar from chris alston for the back,also subframe connectors/aluminum body mounts-Thanks for the help everyone!

T_Raven
10-18-2008, 11:21 PM
I have decided to get the morrison c5 subframe with airbags and the g bar from chris alston for the back,also subframe connectors/aluminum body mounts-Thanks for the help everyone!

hey i was planning on getting a morrison c5 subframe and g bar for my 67 firebird. then i started looking into air ride and i think i want it but wasn't sure if shockwaves would fit the c5 suspension. i decided to search on here before i call anyone and found this thread. did you buy anything yet? i'd love to know more and see some pics if you did

ProdigyCustoms
10-19-2008, 03:14 AM
We did sell Robert the Art Morrison Subframe and our Prodigy Bar rear suspension ao long with our Prodigy Bar ready bolt in 12 bolt rear end package. We are also useing this exact combination of parts on the official Pro Touring car, Larry's MotiV8tr project.. it is a awesome no compromise set up.

You can see MotiV8tr here, video updates start somehwere around page 17.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42538

We have sold and installed a few of these, along with a few other subframe / rear suspension combinations.

Feel free to call with questions and to save a couple pennies.

revhead
10-19-2008, 11:51 AM
lots of these responses invlove major changes in the suspension. I'm interested in this too, but does anyone have experiances with bolt in replacement kits like Hotchkis TVS or 2Gen systems?

David Pozzi
10-19-2008, 12:22 PM
We did the Hotchkis TVS system to my wife's 73 Camaro, along with Global West Del-A-Lum A arm bushings. For a car that will see street duty and even autocross or open track days, it's nearly ideal for a bolt on system, the ride quality is good with their Bilstein shocks. Front coils are 600, rear leafs are 175, which is pretty common for most tuner packages, first gen or second gen F bodies.

Once we put on DOT racing slicks and upsized to 275-40-17 front and 295-40-17 rear, we encountered excessive body roll, when autocrossing. Stiffer shocks and some anti-roll bar tuning cured it. My wife also tried Global West Cat5 rear leaf springs, but I wouldn't recommend them for a street car unless you are doing a LOT of autocross and open track and don't mind a stiff ride.

I've also ridden around Button Willow race track in some Hotchkis sprung Camaros and they handled very well. The ride is stiffer than stock but not harsh. If your horsepower is in the 300 - 400 range, and your tires are not larger than a 245, you can probably go with a softer front spring. Our 68 Camaro is using a 380 lb front coil with stock rear multi leafs at 120 lb. It needs larger antiroll bars than it has right now, but the spring rates seem fine for the 245x15 tires we use, and it's just a cruiser that we want to ride nice.

The more rubber, power, and lower the car, the stiffer it has to be to keep from bottoming out or having excessive front rise/dive, or rear rise/ squat. Most any F bodies can use upsized anti roll bars to keep them cornering flat.
David

XLexusTech
10-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Note the differint types of responses.. some offer products and others asks questions. Very intersting. Good luck on you project Tuna

ProdigyCustoms
10-19-2008, 02:19 PM
We sell and use those also. We have 13 Pro Touring Camaro projects in the shop today, all from mild to wild. projects from Hotckis TVS to full DSE and Art Morrison projects. It just depends on you budget and needs.

Same as I told T Raven, Feel free to call.

David Pozzi
10-19-2008, 03:56 PM
I got an autocross ride in the air ride Chevelle this year, I found the handling to be very good, and the ride was also quite smooth. I have no desire to raise and lower my car, but I can see how this system is becoming so popular.
David

ProdigyCustoms
10-19-2008, 09:09 PM
David, you should have taken a ride in the black Air Ride Camaro, Damn! the Chevelle is a smooth ride though!.

T_Raven
10-21-2008, 05:26 AM
We did sell Robert the Art Morrison Subframe and our Prodigy Bar rear suspension ao long with our Prodigy Bar ready bolt in 12 bolt rear end package. We are also useing this exact combination of parts on the official Pro Touring car, Larry's MotiV8tr project.. it is a awesome no compromise set up.

You can see MotiV8tr here, video updates start somehwere around page 17.

https://www.pro-touring.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42538

We have sold and installed a few of these, along with a few other subframe / rear suspension combinations.

Feel free to call with questions and to save a couple pennies.

thanks Frank, i've been watching the motiV8er build but i guess i forgot what front suspension was under it. i'll go back and look. but i don't remember it having air ride, or am i mistaken? will shockwaves fit with the c5 front suspension? i also have been on gpsuperstore.com lately and it seems like you guys have a gp for most of what i want. between building cars, updating threads and running a gp website don't know how you manage to do all of it lol.

ProdigyCustoms
10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
t i also have been on gpsuperstore.com lately and it seems like you guys have a gp for most of what i want. between building cars, updating threads and running a gp website don't know how you manage to do all of it lol.

Right now I don't, this is a tough time of year for us, but it is self inflicted.

Yes motiV8tr has Air Ride and yes it can be used on the Art Morrison Chassis. it will not fit the DSE chassis though without extensive modifications