PDA

View Full Version : Plans for steering on 67 camaro

Turbo67camaro
05-13-2008, 11:53 PM
I need to buy steering components soon for my 67 Camaro.

This is what I'm planning. Looking for feedback if I'm about to make a mistake.

Power steering
ATS 670 steering box
Moog Idler Arm K6582 5.78" (long one) - technically for a '69
Moog Pitman Arm for power steering K6099 5.375" (short one)
Moog Outer Tie Rods ES381RL - technically for a '69 (cheaper than ones for a '67s)
Moog Inner Tie Rods ES681N (for '67 thru '69)
Tie Rod Tubular Adjusting Sleeves - fit for a '69

I'm not sure on which steering arms to use (short ~5.25", medium 5.5", long 6"). I'm guessing the medium ones.

I also have to check if my center drag link is the .95" or 1.125" thick version. If I have the .95" inch one, should I upgrade to the thicker one ?

Thanks,

Mike

P.S. In case this info matters, I'm using:
1) Adjustable Pro-Lite SPC upper arms (delrin)
2) SPC lower arms from SC&C (delrin)
3) Howe Precision Ball Joints
4) ATS AFX Tall Spindles

Leaning towards a set of Eibach Pro springs that lower the car about 1 to 1.5" with a set of Bilstein Gas shocks. Or, I might go for a set of VariShock coil overs.

David Pozzi
05-14-2008, 07:57 AM
That looks fine.
The upper ball joints, are you using std height? You shouldn't use tall uppers on the ATS tall spindles.

The long pitman was also used on 67's, not just 69's.
The thick center link is a plus, you can use the std one on a small block car, but the thicker one should add some stability under hard braking.
the difference between the outer links is the 67 has a longer threaded shank where it threads into the adjuster. Verify that you have good engagement in the adjuster.

steering arms, I'd use the shortest outer arms, then if the steering is too fast you can swap in the short pitman. The longer outer arms may have wheel clearance issues depending on what wheels you use.

I really don't like coil overs on a camaro. With separate shocks and coils you can change shocks quite easily without changing your ride height. smaller coils have more unit stress on them and can sag more easily if not made out of the very best materials. Transferring suspension weight to the shock pivots/mounts is not ideal and will accelerate wear in that area. The only real benefit of coil overs is ease of adjustment. If you go with coilovers, look for beefy mounts and good shock bearings, highest quality coils.
David

Turbo67camaro
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Standard height ball joints planned = YES (thanks to Marcus).

I think I'll scrap the idea of front coil overs. I don't have plans to adjust the height once the car is built. A 2 to 2.5" lowering is all I'm looking for.

Hmmm. Perhaps going with the '67 outer links provides a little insurance for more adjustability. Could be worth the extra ~$40.

I'll see if I can find the short steering arms and thicker center link. I doubt I have those versions (parts at builder's location now).

Thanks David

P.S. I got most of my information from your site. It seems I interpreted it fairly well.

pdq67
05-14-2008, 04:23 PM
Ditto David here and I'd like to add that if I had it to do over again, that I would install adjustable cans and cheap h-d roundy-round coil springs in front so that I could adjust my front ride height at a turn of a big bolt!

pdq67

XLexusTech
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
IMHO you may want to think about landrum spring adjusters. This will help with your ride height and provide adjustment. I think ATS sells them ready to go with a notch in them.