PDA

View Full Version : Will I be miserable cutting metal?

pitstain
05-13-2008, 09:19 AM
I am embarking on a big project, big because it is my first time fabricating, and because it is at my friends house and I need to get done in a reasonable timeframe.

I will be doing a full airride install on my 2002 Lightning, and fabbing a 3-link with a watts in the rear.

I have a bunch of 3/16" and 1/4" plate steel for brackets and tabs, and .250 wall dom for the links and c-nothces.

Welding is covered with my recent purchase of a Miller 180 with spoolmate, but cutting is a different story.

What I have so far is as follows.

A coule of harbor freight 4 1/2" angle griders with a couple dozen cut off wheels, grinding wheels, and flap discs. Also a electric die grinder that seems pretty robust.

A HF laser guided jigsaw and a bunch of various metal cutting blades for it.

A sawzall, and a new craftsman belt/disc combo sander, as well as a fairly small craftsman drill press.

Will I be ok with what I have or do I need to break down and spend my hydroboost money on a H/V convertible bandsaw?

Thanks guys,

Ian Schwartz

rohrt
05-13-2008, 11:33 AM
I don't think you will be to bad off with what you have. Most of the tools you have are better for sheet metal work then 1/4 steel but can still be used.

One of thoes metal chop saws may be better for what you are doing.

toxicz28
05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
You should do fine with what you have. A cutting torch, or plasma cutter would make the job quicker, but it isn't a necessity. Keep your hydroboost money for your hydroboost.

pitstain
05-13-2008, 03:26 PM
Good thing, I just ordered up the hydroboost from Frank @ Prodigy....

Thanks guys,

Ian

toxicz28
05-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Depending on "where" in the metro NY area you are, mark out your cuts, and we can get together and cut them with my torch. You bring the beer! :Alchy:

Jim Nilsen
05-25-2008, 06:54 AM
You have everything you need to do a nice job quickly. The only thing I didn't see listed is a good vise and clamping system. Some good hole saws can also help.

Good choice to buy an electric die grinder, they save a lot of electricity over air.

The sawsall will be your best tool most of the time if you really get good with it.

jerome
05-28-2008, 09:03 AM
i just use the harbor freight angle grinders for all my 3/16" plate tabs and for cutting tube. When I had to cut tabs to fit my axle tubes, I just used a cheap small, drill press to drill out the line i wanted...never had much luck with a sawzall (maybe works for tube) or with a jigsaw (takes forever to cut out a shape from 3/16".

pitstain
05-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Toxic, thanks for the offer I am in the bronx, but the work is being done upstate in wingdale, NY

Jim, I do have a good benchvise and a 3.25" holesaw the size of my axle tubes.

Jerome,

Thanks for the small drill trick to perforate the cut lines, i'll give that a shot.

toxicz28
05-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Toxic, thanks for the offer I am in the bronx, but the work is being done upstate in wingdale, NY

20 minutes away, across CR-21 (really nice twisties):drive: .

pitstain
06-09-2008, 01:24 PM
The bridge is out.....oh and if you come by with a plasma cutter I'll buy the beer and pizza.

Happyfunballs
06-10-2008, 05:34 AM
I bagged and layed my 99 F-150 frame with considerably less cutting tools than that. You should be fine.