PDA

View Full Version : install ??s for SC&C UCA 71 GM abody

GoldHawg
05-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Three ??s on my install, since SC&C is closed today, for anyone that's done this install

1. The instructions say you can mount the ball joints on the bottom for more clearance. Most of the pics i've seen online show the ball joints mounted from the top. Obviously stronger on the top, but I don't want to have it all mounted and then realize I need the clearance. I'm already ticked that I had to make a big cut out of the gusset on the frame (didn't know when I ordered) for clearance; wondering if I need the extra. Anybody w/A-body installs that can tell me which way is best?

2. The instructions say to mount the tubular arms about 1/2 in shorter and w/the ball joint about 1/2 in shorter towards the firewall than the stock UCA, for getting close on the initial alignment. I'm replacing a 1991 GW tubular UCA, so I don't know if I should try to match it or treat it as if it were a stock UCA, and move the ball joint 1/2 in per the instructions.

3. One of the aluminum turnbuckles is tight as all get out. All the others spin freely by hand with the locknuts out of the way. I can rotate it w/the 1 in wrench, but only w/serious effort. Is this acceptable or is something wrong? Also, I tried Marcus recommendation to put a little masking tape on the wrench to avoid marring the finish, but with such effort required I've still made a few small nicks. Anybody know the AN equivilant to a 1" wrench; I'd like to go ahead and buy a wrench for these turnbuckles this week.

Thx for any help.

Marcus SC&C
05-12-2008, 11:42 AM
I`ll take em from the top.

1) We only mention that for folks who need extra droop travel. Maybe their ride height is higher than normal etc. If you`re using 1" or so lowering springs as we recomend you can put them in from the top.

2) Adjust them to roughly the same shape as the GW arms then. This is just a very rough guideline to get the arms bolted onto the car. The final adjustment of course is set by the alignment.

3) Every once in a rare while we get one like that. Take it apart and check the threads on the ball joint plate. Sometimes the plating is a little thick on the threads or there`s a tiny spec of weld splatter in the threads. You can always clean the threads up with a cheap 3/4x16 die. That`ll prevent damaging the threads in the aluminum sleeve. Once it turns nice and easy you won`t need to waste money on an AN wrench.

If you have any other questions please feel free to give us a call. Mark SC&C

PS. Thanks for the call. Nice talking to you and I`m glad we got it straightened out for you. I already had this 99% written so I`m gonna post it anyway. ;)