PDA

View Full Version : Creepy Car Show Dolls

dogtag
05-10-2008, 01:41 PM
So, I was at the car show today. A little cold but not too bad.
Lot's of really nice cars. A Corvette Club and lot's of Mustangs.
One of the Mustangs was the center of attention when some teachers passed by with their group of young preschoolers. They were all holding on to a long rope with handles every few feet. Kind of a big leash with three teachers herding this group of 5 year olds past the cars.

When they came up to this black mustang, the ladies stopped to look at the car.
It had the typical car show doll dressed up like a little kid positioned so the doll was facing the front wheel well like it was leaning forward and looking at the wheel. Both of it's hands were on either side of the wheel well and it's forehead resting at the top.
Well, one little girl kept calling....."Boy, Boy, don't touch....I'm gonna tell"
The doll paid her no attention......"Boy", she calls again but this time she pokes the doll and it falls over and it's head falls off... The little girl shrieks and starts crying. I started to laugh and then stepped up and explained to one of the teachers what happened.
Just a couple of us saw it happen and the ladies were pretty much into checking out the car and didn't catch it.
I haven't laughed that hard in a long long time. Poor kid.

DT

PS..I found this on the web..kinda what it looked like.

class67
05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Yeah...those things are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samckitt
05-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Yeah...those things are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!

X2, Stupid!

buickfunnycar.com
05-10-2008, 06:07 PM
I laugh so hard whenever I see those...I've never understood the reasoning behind that.

John McIntire
05-10-2008, 06:39 PM
yeah those things are quite stupid. I see a lot of them at some cruise nights. I don't get'em. There just as stupid as those models placed on the air lids that look exactly like the full size car.
I do enjoy the picture boards and build books some people put out.

Mr.VENGEANCE
05-10-2008, 06:51 PM
yo.. really... WHAT ARE THOSE THINGS FOR?!?!

shmoov69
05-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I hate them too, but that is too funny! That little girl will hate cars forever now! Another "greenie" is born! LOL!

eville
05-10-2008, 07:46 PM
I hate them. They confuse the hell out of my 3yo son.

monza
05-10-2008, 08:02 PM
My wife won't go to some local car shows.... to many of those dolls they freak her out, totally hates them! Thinks they are some sort of pedophile bait.

They are really dumb, my guess is some trend some bored car wives started long ago? Some one around here with along car show history must know the story behind them?

MrQuick
05-10-2008, 10:56 PM
I do not question pure evil. LOL

Tiger
05-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I think the message with the is: "I'm leaning towards this car crying because my parents spent all their money on the car so I'll have no high school money" or something like that.
Anyhow I dont like theem

Yelcamino
05-11-2008, 03:54 AM
IMO, people that use those stupid dolls (and other "props") have a dull uninteresting car and need something to grab the showgoers' attention so they'll stop to look at the car. If a car is worth looking at, props aren't needed.

The build/picture books are nice because it shows the casual showgoer how much work was put into the car to get it where it is.

Yelcamino
05-11-2008, 03:56 AM
The doll paid her no attention......"Boy", she calls again but this time she pokes the doll and it falls over and it's head falls off... The little girl shrieks and starts crying.

...and that's hilarious! :lmao: I'd pay to see that!

Steve68
05-11-2008, 05:33 AM
There called Time Out Dolls, really dumb, stupid car show stunts,

class67
05-11-2008, 06:06 AM
IMO, people that use those stupid dolls (and other "props") have a dull uninteresting car and need something to grab the showgoers' attention so they'll stop to look at the car. If a car is worth looking at, props aren't needed.

The build/picture books are nice because it shows the casual showgoer how much work was put into the car to get it where it is.

Good call....

Mr.VENGEANCE
05-11-2008, 06:44 AM
well its kinda hard to get attention when there are like 10 other 69 hugger orange camaro RS on ralleys

hell if i had one id put a full blown mannequin crying on my car..
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
ahhahaHHAHHAH
https://static1.pt-content.com/images/noimg.gif
AHAHAHHA!!

Steve68
05-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Thats weird man, Blade Runner weird!

Beige
05-11-2008, 07:27 PM
And yet still more respectable than Crybaby/Timeout dolls.

va72mlibu
05-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Personnally, the one I hate the most is the tray with fake plastic drive-in food on the window.

BonzoHansen
05-11-2008, 09:05 PM
The only one I saw I liked was under a tire. LOL

zbugger
05-11-2008, 09:15 PM
So, it's not just me that wants to kick one of those damn things like I'm trying to hit the winning 65 yard field goal to win the superbowl every time I see one?

BonzoHansen
05-11-2008, 09:23 PM
No, I got stopped once from doing just that. All I was allowed to do was knock it over. Wife always keeping me out of trouble. LOL

Nine Ball
05-12-2008, 04:29 AM
damn I HATE those stupid kid dolls. I think we should invent the "dog pissing on tire" doll instead.

jackfrost
05-12-2008, 07:24 AM
should use one of these instead:

(note: ABSOLUTELY NSFW)

ho428
05-12-2008, 08:38 AM
Personnally, the one I hate the most is the tray with fake plastic drive-in food on the window.

I saw one of those saturday at the cruise-in along with the stupid time out dolls. I told the wife I'm going to get the drive in speaker for the door window, then I'll put a pair of panties and bra in the back seat with an open condom laying on the back seat.

She says I need mental :help:

DRJDVM's '69
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I've thought about buying one and then putting it under my tire :)

Damn those "real dolls" are expensive...you have to be rich to be that big of a pervert I guess :)

Steve1968LS2
05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Those dolls are freaky.. hate them... Maybe have it set so that when someone gets too close the car the head on the doll falls off, it screams and fake blood shoots out..

At least that would be entertaining. lol

Steve1968LS2
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Damn those "real dolls" are expensive...you have to be rich to be that big of a pervert I guess :)

They offer volume discounts... :naughty:

Damn True
05-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Perhaps RTTH could have a "crying-doll" kicking event? With a prize for the person who can boot one the furthest?

ho428
05-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Perhaps RTTH could have a "crying-doll" kicking event? With a prize for the person who can boot one the furthest?

We're having a fund raiser at the next cruise-in, I'm going to suggest that. :lmao:

trapin
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
All car show dolls should die.

TonyL
05-12-2008, 10:56 AM
I think it stemmed from the same guys who put the fake drive in platter on their window, blare 50s music, etc. Like they are building a little diorama around their cars.

They are usually attached to cars that are only so-so that would otherwise not get looked at as much. I hate them.

67z28
05-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Yall have forgotten to mention the hand sticking out of the closed trunk lid. And thank God Florida outlawed those stupid trunk nutz.

rsk68
05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
ok guys I have to admit that a family member actually used these things, its my Big sister, so I called and asked what the story is, she said that she uses them to cover a scratch or paint chip and thats all its for, this makes sense but it should only be allowed for Woman owned cars.

CraigMorrison
05-12-2008, 11:54 AM
A few years back we attached a home made cry baby doll to the bumper of a 58 Caddy and dropped the air out of the car. It looked like the kid was really stuck under there.

For some reason the women folk at the GG show didn't find it funny.

The guys on the other hand loved it! - Specially the power parkers that had been drinking beer since 7am.

shizzy
05-12-2008, 03:41 PM
Perhaps RTTH could have a "crying-doll" kicking event? With a prize for the person who can boot one the furthest? the ONE car show I go to each year has a no cry baby doll rule. I have a pencil drawing of a cry baby doll launcher that is built on the basics of the Potato cannon. My thought was that Anyone shows up with a crybaby doll gets it confiscated and fired out of the cannon. :bananna2:

BTW folks the potato gun I "may or may not have" "may or may not" fire a potato a full city block....... :machine:

BMF Machine
05-12-2008, 03:53 PM
the ONE car show I go to each year has a no cry baby doll rule. I have a pencil drawing of a cry baby doll launcher that is built on the basics of the Potato cannon. My thought was that Anyone shows up with a crybaby doll gets it confiscated and fired out of the cannon. :bananna2:

BTW folks the potato gun I "may or may not have" "may or may not" fire a potato a full city block....... :machine:

If it won't go a city block; try a little starting fluid instead of hairspray! It really gives it some added FaiR!

shizzy
05-12-2008, 04:11 PM
no name spray deoderant's main propelland it Butane. :attn:

Yelcamino
05-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Yall have forgotten to mention the hand sticking out of the closed trunk lid. And thank God Florida outlawed those stupid trunk nutz.

Another one is those stupid giant stuffed animals that are the same color as the car! WTF? :screwy: I just want to check out the car, why's that so hard for some people?

SimplyKC
05-12-2008, 06:19 PM
Is it only around here that people have the cans with oil, water and gas hand-lettered on them? This goes back to the 80s but I still see them at car shows.

Giant stuffed tweety bird in the driver's seat?

I'm not a fan of most "car shows". I like cruise nights so much better.

buickfunnycar.com
05-12-2008, 07:34 PM

No actually...the "build books" just bring them closer with their strollers,screaming kids with ice cream all over their grubby hands and of course...the ever-present belt buckle.

Can you tell I don't do carshows...?

Tony_SS
05-12-2008, 07:48 PM
And the next time I see one of those squirting frogs, I'm going to spill my soda all over the front fender of someones 34 Ford.

trapin
05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
This is funny...I thought Michigan was the only place that had this crap. I am so sick of car shows. Every one of them around here is put on by some old car club with a bunch of 60 somethings and they just HAVE to have Beach Boys music and 50's music playing. And they all have to have those stupid fuzzy dice in the rear view mirror and some kind of prop around their boring classic car. I too am sick of them and they dominate the car shows. I like Autorama but that's about it. If I do go to a local show it's usually to find a '68 camaro so I can reference certain points of the car for reconstruction.

buickfunnycar.com
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
This is funny...I thought Michigan was the only place that had this crap. I am so sick of car shows. Every one of them around here is put on by some old car club with a bunch of 60 somethings and they just HAVE to have Beach Boys music and 50's music playing. And they all have to have those stupid fuzzy dice in the rear view mirror and some kind of prop around their boring classic car. I too am sick of them and they dominate the car shows. I like Autorama but that's about it. If I do go to a local show it's usually to find a '68 camaro so I can reference certain points of the car for reconstruction.

same thing here Tony,same fricking thing...
you forgot to mention that the majority of the attendees who show cars just prefer to sit by them all day long and drink...at least that's how it is here.
I go to shows to get new ideas...without my car I might add.

BonzoHansen
05-13-2008, 10:47 AM
I do mostly cruise nights. I will do charity car shows if I like the charity. Music - I can never figure out the 50s music thing - Beach Boys is modern to them. Most cars anymore are late 60s-early 70s, at least get into the mid-70s!

I like build books, but I see what you say about them being 'magnets'. I have a 'build book' of sorts, a word document with pics and text in a regular 3-ring - kind of a low-tech fQuick. But it stays in the car and comes out when I am talking to someone.

Damn True
05-13-2008, 10:52 AM
And the next time I see one of those squirting frogs, I'm going to spill my soda all over the front fender of someones 34 Ford.

I am unfamilliar with this.

buickfunnycar.com
05-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I like build books, but I see what you say about them being 'magnets'. I have a 'build book' of sorts, a word document with pics and text in a regular 3-ring - kind of a low-tech fQuick. But it stays in the car and comes out when I am talking to someone.

That...makes perfectly good sense to me Scott.
I like build books too but only show them in the manner you mentioned.

ho428
05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
I do mostly cruise nights. I will do charity car shows if I like the charity. Music - I can never figure out the 50s music thing - Beach Boys is modern to them. Most cars anymore are late 60s-early 70s, at least get into the mid-70s!

Yeah but, I'll take the 50's-60's music over Bee-Gees 70's disco.
I guess the older stuff is just easier listening background music anyway. Although a couple of our Cruise DJ's play way to loud.
I've suggested more speakers spread out rather than the 2 big ones you can't walk in front of they're so loud. Their loud reason is the raffle stuff. To many complain they can't hear.

BonzoHansen
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Loud is right. I hate that.

70s to me is the who, sabbath & zep!

ho428
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Loud is right. I hate that.

70s to me is the who, sabbath & zep!

I hear ya. But I just can't imagine our Geritol Cruise in crowd jamming to Sabbath. :git:

Tony_SS
05-13-2008, 11:22 AM
I am unfamilliar with this.

Maybe its not as common as I thought or its just the same yahoo that seems to show up at every event I go to.

Its a bronze little frog that appears to be a hood ornament or something that squirts water on command when someones gets close or walks in front of the car.

I think all these dolls and props are a midwestern thing... I really don't mind the oldies music, but when loud as hell it gets damn annoying.

Damn True
05-13-2008, 11:34 AM
No, the dolls are found out here as well. As is the doo-wop and beach boys music. Car shows really don't do anything for me at all.

...and if someone's car squirted me, I might get startled and "accidentally" spill my beer all over his hood.

6'9"Witha69
05-13-2008, 11:42 AM
...and if someone's car squirted me, I might get startled and "accidentally" spill my beer all over his hood.Hell, I might go into 'fight' mode.

\I don't have a 'flight' mode unless on an airplane, preferrably ready to jump.

6'9"Witha69
05-13-2008, 11:43 AM
I hate car shows anymore. The same crap I have seen way too many times growing up.

The music is always annoying.

Most of the people too.

Damn True
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Hell, I might go into 'fight' mode.

\I don't have a 'flight' mode unless on an airplane, preferrably ready to jump.

What are you gonna do, punch the grille of a '40 Ford painted up like an easter egg?

6'9"Witha69
05-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Maybe a nice roundhouse.
\my sensei would be proud.
\\my wife would PISSED
\\\I am of course just talking ish

Damn True
05-13-2008, 11:53 AM
Maybe a nice roundhouse.
\my sensei would be proud.
\\my wife would PISSED
\\\I am of course just talking ish

Ok Dwight.

BonzoHansen
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Hell, I might go into 'fight' mode.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A (sometimes Select, Start)

Fight!

(name the video game for today's attaboy award)

Tony_SS
05-13-2008, 01:06 PM
What are you gonna do, punch the grille of a '40 Ford painted up like an easter egg?

Heh, I'd enjoy seeing that.

6'9"Witha69
05-13-2008, 02:10 PM

Fight!

(name the video game for today's attaboy award)Crap, I want to say it was Street fighter for Nintendo. Sounds way too familiar but really old.

6'9"Witha69
05-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Ok Dwight.Dwight??

I must be out of the loop.

Damn True
05-13-2008, 02:15 PM
I guess you don't watch "The Office"

6'9"Witha69
05-13-2008, 02:16 PM
I guess you don't watch "The Office"No.

John McIntire
05-13-2008, 03:17 PM
If I do go to a local show it's usually to find a '68 camaro so I can reference certain points of the car for reconstruction.

Same here, most of the cars at these cruise nights are owned by elder men that are completely stock! It's a good place to go reference some things when your cars been apart for so long you forgot how some things go back together!

redfire69
05-15-2008, 03:07 AM
Same here, most of the cars at these cruise nights are owned by elder men that are completely stock! It's a good place to go reference some things when your cars been apart for so long you forgot how some things go back together!

Yeah, definitely. And take some reference pics too. I see those dolls at every show I go to.... I often wondered what they were for too... pretty creepy...

Oh and I love the guy with the GTO with the giant stuffed tiger in the back seat, etc!

go-fish
05-15-2008, 03:37 AM

Fight!

Contra for NES?

go-fish
05-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Yeah, definitely. And take some reference pics too. I see those dolls at every show I go to.... I often wondered what they were for too... pretty creepy...

Oh and I love the guy with the GTO with the giant stuffed tiger in the back seat, etc!

I was gonna bring up the Goat owners with the Tiger dolls and the Mopar people with the Panther Pink color for 70-72 E-bodies with a huge freakin' Pink Panther doll. Double pink, double ge-hay!

6'9"Witha69
05-15-2008, 08:28 AM

Oh and I love the guy with the GTO with the giant stuffed tiger in the back seat, etc!True GTOs can slide with that one IMO.

Kenova
05-15-2008, 08:56 AM

Fight!

Battle Toads for Nintendo?
Buggered my thumbs up on that one.

Ken

BonzoHansen
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Contra for NES?
Attaboy!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/contra1-1.jpg

andrewb70
05-15-2008, 11:32 AM
True GTOs can slide with that one IMO.

Christ....don't get me started with the GTO and their damn "Tiger in the tank."

Andrew

monza
05-15-2008, 07:08 PM
Still nobody knows why??? Someone must know the who/where/why... just one day every car show in North America has "timeout dolls?"
Come on you older then the rest guys, pipe up with the story.

qwik1320
05-15-2008, 07:12 PM
Those dolls are over here too. My youngest son thought it was a kid peeing on the car the first time he saw one...

shmoov69
05-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Sheesh! I forgot about that one! I used to have that one!

Attaboy!

https://static1.pt-content.com/images/pt/2008/05/contra1-1.jpg

go-fish
05-15-2008, 09:58 PM
Contra RULEZ!

Must have been, what, '87?

Edit: Just saw the Copywrite 1988! OT, but do you guys remember Game Genie?

Mr.VENGEANCE
05-16-2008, 05:08 AM
what does that mean "tiger in the tank"?

yellowrallys
05-16-2008, 05:24 AM
what does that mean "tiger in the tank"?

Ad slogan back in the 60's

dogtag
05-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Back in the day, they even had tiger tails you could get at the station to attach to your gas caps. Kinda like the 76 balls you put on your radio antennas.
DT

andrewb70
05-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Ad slogan back in the 60's

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RWQue8XTUDg&feature=related

Andrew